CD drives - files not visble

Ron

WinXP Pro - SP2 installed.
I have DVDROM drive, DVDRAM and CDRW drives installed. All were working fine
but now Windows Explorer can't see the files on disks inserted (neither DVD
nor CD) . A dialogue box asks for a disk to be inserted.

Funny thing is, if I have a disk in any of the drives at boot up then I can
see the files as normal in explorer. The drive behaves normally until the
next reboot, whereupon if there is no disk in the drive at bootup nothing is
seen in Windows explorer. I can however write to disk (DVD & CD) using Nero
Ultra even when explorer won't read files on a disk already containing
files.
Help appreciated

Thanks
Ron

Try:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

-----
Nathan McNulty

Ron wrote:
> WinXP Pro - SP2 installed.
> I have DVDROM drive, DVDRAM and CDRW drives installed. All were working fine
> but now Windows Explorer can't see the files on disks inserted (neither DVD
> nor CD) . A dialogue box asks for a disk to be inserted.
>
> Funny thing is, if I have a disk in any of the drives at boot up then I can
> see the files as normal in explorer. The drive behaves normally until the
> next reboot, whereupon if there is no disk in the drive at bootup nothing is
> seen in Windows explorer. I can however write to disk (DVD & CD) using Nero
> Ultra even when explorer won't read files on a disk already containing
> files.
> Help appreciated
>
> Thanks
> Ron

Hi Ron,

Did you resolve this? I've also experienced "disappearing" files on CD-Rs.
PCs that worked before suddenly can't read the files on certain disks.
Retail CDs are not a problem. I have a brand new PC - just unpacked this
evening and it can't read some (not all) CD-Rs. I've search MS knowledgebase
thoroughly on several occasions thinking that it must be a bug, but haven't
found anything. I shouldn't say that I haven't found anything - just nothing
that has fixed my problem. I've seen a reference to using older versions of
Roxio Easy CD Creator creating a problem in Windows XP but that doesn't seem
to consistently explain my problem.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks, Elly

"Ron" wrote:

> WinXP Pro - SP2 installed.
> I have DVDROM drive, DVDRAM and CDRW drives installed. All were working fine
> but now Windows Explorer can't see the files on disks inserted (neither DVD
> nor CD) . A dialogue box asks for a disk to be inserted.
>
> Funny thing is, if I have a disk in any of the drives at boot up then I can
> see the files as normal in explorer. The drive behaves normally until the
> next reboot, whereupon if there is no disk in the drive at bootup nothing is
> seen in Windows explorer. I can however write to disk (DVD & CD) using Nero
> Ultra even when explorer won't read files on a disk already containing
> files.
> Help appreciated
>
> Thanks
> Ron

If you need to salvage your cd's try a program called IsoBuster - it has
saved me a few times with older CDR's
fp

"Elly" <Elly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Ron,
>
> Did you resolve this? I've also experienced "disappearing" files on
> CD-Rs.
> PCs that worked before suddenly can't read the files on certain disks.
> Retail CDs are not a problem. I have a brand new PC - just unpacked this
> evening and it can't read some (not all) CD-Rs. I've search MS
> knowledgebase
> thoroughly on several occasions thinking that it must be a bug, but
> haven't
> found anything. I shouldn't say that I haven't found anything - just
> nothing
> that has fixed my problem. I've seen a reference to using older versions
> of
> Roxio Easy CD Creator creating a problem in Windows XP but that doesn't
> seem
> to consistently explain my problem.
>
> Anyone else have any ideas?
>
> Thanks, Elly
>
> "Ron" wrote:
>
>> WinXP Pro - SP2 installed.
>> I have DVDROM drive, DVDRAM and CDRW drives installed. All were working
>> fine
>> but now Windows Explorer can't see the files on disks inserted (neither
>> DVD
>> nor CD) . A dialogue box asks for a disk to be inserted.
>>
>> Funny thing is, if I have a disk in any of the drives at boot up then I
>> can
>> see the files as normal in explorer. The drive behaves normally until the
>> next reboot, whereupon if there is no disk in the drive at bootup nothing
>> is
>> seen in Windows explorer. I can however write to disk (DVD & CD) using
>> Nero
>> Ultra even when explorer won't read files on a disk already containing
>> files.
>> Help appreciated
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ron

I have this exact same problem and would love to solve the riddle. Please if
anybody can help i've been playing with this problrm for months with no idea
what the problem it. my symptoms are EXACTLY the same as Ron described.

I've Updated every related driver, and messed with the boot steps in the
BIOS. nothing helps. although i have taken to leaving CD's in my drives 24/7
to save time, restarting.

HELP US PLEASE!!!!

I had the same problem and fixed it just now using the method I found in
the discussion below.

My problem was with my USB-Flash-drive (aka thumb drive or pen drive) the
software (u-storage) that came with the drive was causing the problem,
uninstalling it fixed everything and the USB-flash-drive still works without
it.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware&tid=b6551cf4-0246-444c-88ae-5a1e2d2d0609&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1