Corrupt files: virus or HW related?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I just bought a new hard drive; Western Digital Raptor 76GB S-ATA. I
plan to use this as a boot disc (system) and have formatted it into 3
partitions. Windows XP Pro is installed on a 20GB partition.

My system configuration is:
Abit NF-7S v. 2.0
AMD XP 2800+ Processor
2x 512MB RAM
Dlink Wireless PCI adapter DWL-520+
Asus Geforce 3 Deluxe
WD Raptor 10K rpm 76GB S-ATA

I have disconnected these to discs for testing purposes:
WD 250GB Caviar S-ATA
WD 120GB Caviar ATA

I use a Windows XP pro SP-2 CD which I have created with Auto Patcher
(a small GUI program which integrates the service pack file with
WinXP)

The problem is:
Everytime I reinstall I get corrupt files on the drive. The OS works
and boots fine, but driver- and program-files which I have downloaded
becomes corrupt. If I try to install Nvidia GeForce drivers I get an
error message saying the file is corrupt and I need to download a
fresh copy and confirm its integrity. If I do so, it works fine. But
I'm worried that the system is/will become unstable. I have tried to
reinstall the system several times now, and I always get an error with
downloaded files, my documents and Outlook .pst files (As a result I
lost over 2GB of jpg pictures taken with my digital camera over the
past 3 years... Back up was stored on the 250GB S-ATA disc and it was
corrupt too, unfortunately) --> IF ANYBODY HAS ANY TIPS ON HOW TO
RESTORE/REPAIR CORRUPT JPG-FILES I'M ALL EARS!

First I thought it might be the WinXP CD I have created, and I plan to
try a fresh install with my original XP CD.
However: Since the XP system seems to work fine, I was wondering if
the problem lies with the S-ATA driver, virus, or maybe is HW related
(RAM, etc.)
I have tried to update the system with all Windows Update patches,
incl. the new S-ATA driver, but I always get the same results!

Have anybody experienced anything like this?
Can anyone give me some pointers on how to continue my quest for a
stable XP-system?
9 answers Last reply
More about corrupt files virus related
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Betelgeuse74 wrote:

    > I just bought a new hard drive; Western Digital Raptor 76GB S-ATA. I
    > plan to use this as a boot disc (system) and have formatted it into 3
    > partitions. Windows XP Pro is installed on a 20GB partition.
    >
    > My system configuration is:
    > Abit NF-7S v. 2.0
    > AMD XP 2800+ Processor
    > 2x 512MB RAM
    > Dlink Wireless PCI adapter DWL-520+
    > Asus Geforce 3 Deluxe
    > WD Raptor 10K rpm 76GB S-ATA
    >
    > I have disconnected these to discs for testing purposes:
    > WD 250GB Caviar S-ATA
    > WD 120GB Caviar ATA
    >
    > I use a Windows XP pro SP-2 CD which I have created with Auto Patcher
    > (a small GUI program which integrates the service pack file with
    > WinXP)
    >
    > The problem is:
    > Everytime I reinstall I get corrupt files on the drive. The OS works
    > and boots fine, but driver- and program-files which I have downloaded
    > becomes corrupt. If I try to install Nvidia GeForce drivers I get an
    > error message saying the file is corrupt and I need to download a
    > fresh copy and confirm its integrity. If I do so, it works fine. But
    > I'm worried that the system is/will become unstable. I have tried to
    > reinstall the system several times now, and I always get an error with
    > downloaded files, my documents and Outlook .pst files (As a result I
    > lost over 2GB of jpg pictures taken with my digital camera over the
    > past 3 years... Back up was stored on the 250GB S-ATA disc and it was
    > corrupt too, unfortunately) --> IF ANYBODY HAS ANY TIPS ON HOW TO
    > RESTORE/REPAIR CORRUPT JPG-FILES I'M ALL EARS!
    >
    > First I thought it might be the WinXP CD I have created, and I plan to
    > try a fresh install with my original XP CD.
    > However: Since the XP system seems to work fine, I was wondering if
    > the problem lies with the S-ATA driver, virus, or maybe is HW related
    > (RAM, etc.)
    > I have tried to update the system with all Windows Update patches,
    > incl. the new S-ATA driver, but I always get the same results!
    >
    > Have anybody experienced anything like this?
    > Can anyone give me some pointers on how to continue my quest for a
    > stable XP-system?

    Since you have problems with two different HDs, I'd be suspicious of the
    power supply -- in particular, the ability of the PS to deliver enough
    juice on the +12V rail. There are several PS calculators on the net,
    such as http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply, which you can use as a
    rough check to see if your PS is inadequate for your PC.
    --
    Cheers, Bob
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I picked up on your power supply tip from your ans. to another matter.
    Hmmmm? I checked and I am up to a possible 340 drain on a 300 watt power
    supply.
    Hmmmm? Thanks.

    > Since you have problems with two different HDs, I'd be suspicious of the
    > power supply -- in particular, the ability of the PS to deliver enough
    > juice on the +12V rail. There are several PS calculators on the net,
    > such as http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply, which you can use as a
    > rough check to see if your PS is inadequate for your PC.
    > --
    > Cheers, Bob

    I have seen exactly this sort of problem with a stick of memory that
    had gone bad (after working fine for 3-6 months) - it turned out that
    a few bits were "stuck", presumably in an area that was frequently
    being used for file I/O, so files were, indeed, being corrupted!

    On 11 Oct 2004 04:23:14 -0700, betelgeuse74@hotmail.com (Betelgeuse74)
    wrote:

    >I just bought a new hard drive; Western Digital Raptor 76GB S-ATA. I
    >plan to use this as a boot disc (system) and have formatted it into 3
    >partitions. Windows XP Pro is installed on a 20GB partition.
    >
    >My system configuration is:
    >Abit NF-7S v. 2.0
    >AMD XP 2800+ Processor
    >2x 512MB RAM
    >Dlink Wireless PCI adapter DWL-520+
    >Asus Geforce 3 Deluxe
    >WD Raptor 10K rpm 76GB S-ATA
    >
    >I have disconnected these to discs for testing purposes:
    >WD 250GB Caviar S-ATA
    >WD 120GB Caviar ATA
    >
    >I use a Windows XP pro SP-2 CD which I have created with Auto Patcher
    >(a small GUI program which integrates the service pack file with
    >WinXP)
    >
    >The problem is:
    >Everytime I reinstall I get corrupt files on the drive. The OS works
    >and boots fine, but driver- and program-files which I have downloaded
    >becomes corrupt. If I try to install Nvidia GeForce drivers I get an
    >error message saying the file is corrupt and I need to download a
    >fresh copy and confirm its integrity. If I do so, it works fine. But
    >I'm worried that the system is/will become unstable. I have tried to
    >reinstall the system several times now, and I always get an error with
    >downloaded files, my documents and Outlook .pst files (As a result I
    >lost over 2GB of jpg pictures taken with my digital camera over the
    >past 3 years... Back up was stored on the 250GB S-ATA disc and it was
    >corrupt too, unfortunately) --> IF ANYBODY HAS ANY TIPS ON HOW TO
    >RESTORE/REPAIR CORRUPT JPG-FILES I'M ALL EARS!
    >
    >First I thought it might be the WinXP CD I have created, and I plan to
    >try a fresh install with my original XP CD.
    >However: Since the XP system seems to work fine, I was wondering if
    >the problem lies with the S-ATA driver, virus, or maybe is HW related
    >(RAM, etc.)
    >I have tried to update the system with all Windows Update patches,
    >incl. the new S-ATA driver, but I always get the same results!
    >
    >Have anybody experienced anything like this?
    >Can anyone give me some pointers on how to continue my quest for a
    >stable XP-system?

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Bob Willard <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message news:<OUI#ZM5rEHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > Since you have problems with two different HDs, I'd be suspicious of the
    > power supply -- in particular, the ability of the PS to deliver enough
    > juice on the +12V rail. There are several PS calculators on the net,
    > such as http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply, which you can use as a
    > rough check to see if your PS is inadequate for your PC.

    Thanks for the tip! I've testet my configuration and it shows I need a
    minimum 315W PSU. I have an Enermax Whisper 430W, so this should be
    allright. I have not experienced any problems with this earlier, and
    had a fully functional system before I installed the new disc.

    I have heard rumours about problems with the Silicon Image Si3x12
    S-ATA controller, which is onboard my Mobo, however I have not
    confirmed this (and I have not yet searched the forum for any similar
    error descriptions.)

    I have downloaded the latest BIOS for Abit (which includes a Firmware
    upgrade for the controller), and the latest drivers from windows
    update (I have even tried the drivers from Siliconimage.com, but
    Windows Update's version is newer)

    I learned today that a buddy of mine had a similar problem with a
    Silicon Image Si3x12 external S-ATA adapter (PCI). His experience was
    that files copied to or from the S-ATA disc became corrupt. My
    controller is onboard, but could this be related? It sure sounds
    familiar!!
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    betelgeuse74@hotmail.com (Betelgeuse74) wrote in message news:<d2f94b65.0410110323.4959027d@posting.google.com>...

    > The problem is:
    > Everytime I reinstall I get corrupt files on the drive. The OS works
    > and boots fine, but driver- and program-files which I have downloaded
    > becomes corrupt. If I try to install Nvidia GeForce drivers I get an
    > error message saying the file is corrupt and I need to download a
    > fresh copy and confirm its integrity. If I do so, it works fine. But
    > I'm worried that the system is/will become unstable. I have tried to
    > reinstall the system several times now, and I always get an error with
    > downloaded files, my documents and Outlook .pst files (As a result I
    > lost over 2GB of jpg pictures taken with my digital camera over the
    > past 3 years... Back up was stored on the 250GB S-ATA disc and it was
    > corrupt too, unfortunately) --> IF ANYBODY HAS ANY TIPS ON HOW TO
    > RESTORE/REPAIR CORRUPT JPG-FILES I'M ALL EARS!

    WOW!! I searched the Abit forums, and it was a well-known topic. The
    problem lies with the Silicon Image controller. And there are many
    tips on how to correct this. I haven't read up on the solution or
    tried to fix/reinstall, but I will do that in the next couple of days.
    I'll keeps you guys (and girls) posted!

    In the mean time; Thanks for all your input, and if anybody knows a
    good way to repair corrupt jpg-files I would REALLY appreciate it!
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Betelgeuse74 wrote:

    > In the mean time; Thanks for all your input, and if anybody knows a
    > good way to repair corrupt jpg-files I would REALLY appreciate it!

    You have just discovered the value of periodic backups.

    ==> An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of repair.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Hi, which motherboard bios and sata drivers are you using. There is known
    corruption issues particular to each version, this forum will have a post
    that will help,
    http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=7
    Chris C
    "Peter R. Fletcher" <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote in message
    >I have seen exactly this sort of problem with a stick of memory that
    > had gone bad (after working fine for 3-6 months) - it turned out that
    > a few bits were "stuck", presumably in an area that was frequently
    > being used for file I/O, so files were, indeed, being corrupted!
    >
    > On 11 Oct 2004 04:23:14 -0700, betelgeuse74@hotmail.com (Betelgeuse74)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought a new hard drive; Western Digital Raptor 76GB S-ATA. I
    >>plan to use this as a boot disc (system) and have formatted it into 3
    >>partitions. Windows XP Pro is installed on a 20GB partition.
    >>
    >>My system configuration is:
    >>Abit NF-7S v. 2.0
    >>AMD XP 2800+ Processor
    >>2x 512MB RAM
    >>Dlink Wireless PCI adapter DWL-520+
    >>Asus Geforce 3 Deluxe
    >>WD Raptor 10K rpm 76GB S-ATA
    >>
    >>I have disconnected these to discs for testing purposes:
    >>WD 250GB Caviar S-ATA
    >>WD 120GB Caviar ATA
    >>
    >>I use a Windows XP pro SP-2 CD which I have created with Auto Patcher
    >>(a small GUI program which integrates the service pack file with
    >>WinXP)
    >>
    >>The problem is:
    >>Everytime I reinstall I get corrupt files on the drive. The OS works
    >>and boots fine, but driver- and program-files which I have downloaded
    >>becomes corrupt. If I try to install Nvidia GeForce drivers I get an
    >>error message saying the file is corrupt and I need to download a
    >>fresh copy and confirm its integrity. If I do so, it works fine. But
    >>I'm worried that the system is/will become unstable. I have tried to
    >>reinstall the system several times now, and I always get an error with
    >>downloaded files, my documents and Outlook .pst files (As a result I
    >>lost over 2GB of jpg pictures taken with my digital camera over the
    >>past 3 years... Back up was stored on the 250GB S-ATA disc and it was
    >>corrupt too, unfortunately) --> IF ANYBODY HAS ANY TIPS ON HOW TO
    >>RESTORE/REPAIR CORRUPT JPG-FILES I'M ALL EARS!
    >>
    >>First I thought it might be the WinXP CD I have created, and I plan to
    >>try a fresh install with my original XP CD.
    >>However: Since the XP system seems to work fine, I was wondering if
    >>the problem lies with the S-ATA driver, virus, or maybe is HW related
    >>(RAM, etc.)
    >>I have tried to update the system with all Windows Update patches,
    >>incl. the new S-ATA driver, but I always get the same results!
    >>
    >>Have anybody experienced anything like this?
    >>Can anyone give me some pointers on how to continue my quest for a
    >>stable XP-system?
    >

    > Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
    > exchange.
    > Peter R. Fletcher

    I think you may have intended to direct your comment to the OP - not
    to me. My problem was definitely bad memory - the memory, when tested,
    was clearly bad, and the problem did not recur after it was replaced.

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:41:00 +0100, "Chris" <anon@school.com> wrote:

> [...]
    >>>RESTORE/REPAIR CORRUPT JPG-FILES I'M ALL EARS!
    >>>
    >>>First I thought it might be the WinXP CD I have created, and I plan to
    >>>try a fresh install with my original XP CD.
    >>>However: Since the XP system seems to work fine, I was wondering if
    >>>the problem lies with the S-ATA driver, virus, or maybe is HW related
    >>>(RAM, etc.)
    >>>I have tried to update the system with all Windows Update patches,
    >>>incl. the new S-ATA driver, but I always get the same results!
    >>>
    >>>Have anybody experienced anything like this?
    >>>Can anyone give me some pointers on how to continue my quest for a
    >>>stable XP-system?
    >>

    >> Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
    >> exchange.
    >> Peter R. Fletcher

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.

    Of course I was Peter....
    >I think you may have intended to direct your comment to the OP - not
    > to me. My problem was definitely bad memory - the memory, when tested,
    > was clearly bad, and the problem did not recur after it was replaced.
    >
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:41:00 +0100, "Chris" <anon@school.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi, which motherboard bios and sata drivers are you using. There is known
    >>corruption issues particular to each version, this forum will have a post
    >>that will help,
    >>http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=7
    >>Chris C
    >>"Peter R. Fletcher" <pfletch(at)fletchers(hyphen)uk.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have seen exactly this sort of problem with a stick of memory that
    >>> had gone bad (after working fine for 3-6 months) - it turned out that
    >>> a few bits were "stuck", presumably in an area that was frequently
    >>> being used for file I/O, so files were, indeed, being corrupted!

    >>> Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
    >>> exchange.
    >>> Peter R. Fletcher
    >>

    > Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the
    > exchange.
    > Peter R. Fletcher

Western Digital Windows XP