Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I have a 8kta3+Pro which I just tried to bios upgrade, with 8K203528.bin.
It went about 3/4 of the way through and said "Checksum Error" and then
rebooted.
Then it say's "Insert system disk and press enter"
I put in a system disk made using a win95 computer rebooted in dos mode with
format format A: /s and added the awflash and new .bin files, but it comes
up with the same message.
When it reboots, it has the Award Bootlock V1.0 at the top of the screen and
the onboard system LED's stop at code 41.

Any clues?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007

"Phil" <ausnasia@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message news:<4122e169$0$15519$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>...
> I have a 8kta3+Pro which I just tried to bios upgrade, with 8K203528.bin.
> It went about 3/4 of the way through and said "Checksum Error" and then
> rebooted.
> Then it say's "Insert system disk and press enter"
> I put in a system disk made using a win95 computer rebooted in dos mode with
> format format A: /s and added the awflash and new .bin files, but it comes
> up with the same message.
> When it reboots, it has the Award Bootlock V1.0 at the top of the screen and
> the onboard system LED's stop at code 41.
>
> Any clues?
The same thing just happened last month with my 8KTA3PRO (same as the
+PRO but without RAID). I also received checksum error in the middle
of flashing and then a reboot. (In my case, I was already using the
8K203528 BIOS but was falling back to 8K201A19. I prefer this version
when using older 100 Mhz chips.

I discovered the Award Bootblock BIOS v1.0 does not seem to work
properly. It can't actually read any floppies. I tried 3.5" high
density and low density disks (720 KB). I tried an old 5.25 inch
high density drive (1.2 MB). I even tried a really old 360 KB drive
and disk. Nothing worked. All drives and all bootdisks refused to
boot even though all combinations were verified on another system. I
just could not get the 8KTA3PRO to recognize the bootdisks.

Finally I gave up and ordered a new BIOS chip. I bought mine from
www.epoxstore.com for $10 USD + shipping. Unfortunately, the Epox
Store is in the USA and I assume you are in Australia (based on you
email address). I don't know where you can order a replacement in your
country.

I'm sure if you contact Epox they will take care of you.

If not you could have your chip reflashed. Some computer
stores/repair shops can do this. Probably they would charge a lot.

For years (more than 5) I've seen a site online that reflashes BIOSes.
The site is called www.flashbios.org. It's in Denmark but the cost
is very reasonable, 10 Euro or 5 British Pounds or the equivalent US
Dollars. These seem to be the only currencies. (Interesting, the
values aren't equivalent. 5 British Pounds is approx $9.11 US dollars
while 10 Euros is $12.30 US dollars). You ship them the chip with
your payment (in hard currency). They flash it and return it to you.
Return shipping is included in the price.

They now accept Paypal if you don't like sending actual cash in the
mail.

You can also order a new chip flashed with the BIOS of your choice.
The cost is higher, of course.

If you know someone with an identical motherboard you can do a
hotflash. You boot the good system to DOS and while it is still
running you pop out the BIOS chip and insert the corrupt one. You
then just flash that chip using the Awdflash program. Now you have two
good chips. (I did this after I received my replacement chip. Now I
have a backup).

Hotflashing is not as risky as it sounds but there is some risk. It is
not for the feint hearted.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Steve Sheppard

Sounds like a bad bios chip had that happen to me.
bought a new one from epox for 15.00 with latest bios on it.
http://www.epoxstore.com/Default.asp

old hippy

"Phil" <ausnasia@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
>I have a 8kta3+Pro which I just tried to bios upgrade, with 8K203528.bin.
> It went about 3/4 of the way through and said "Checksum Error" and then
> rebooted.
> Then it say's "Insert system disk and press enter"
> I put in a system disk made using a win95 computer rebooted in dos mode
> with
> format format A: /s and added the awflash and new .bin files, but it comes
> up with the same message.
> When it reboots, it has the Award Bootlock V1.0 at the top of the screen
> and
> the onboard system LED's stop at code 41.
>
> Any clues?

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

I have the ep-8kta+ and can't boot to dos from wins xp pro to flash
bios. Any tips? Alt F2 method does not work either it hangs, I can
restart however w/o corruption so far.

stephensheppard@hotmail.com (phsstpok) wrote in message news:<1072813f.0408181051.7babcff4@posting.google.com>...
> [...]
> while 10 Euros is $12.30 US dollars). You ship them the chip with
> your payment (in hard currency). They flash it and return it to you.
> Return shipping is included in the price.
>
> They now accept Paypal if you don't like sending actual cash in the
> mail.
>
> You can also order a new chip flashed with the BIOS of your choice.
> The cost is higher, of course.
>
> If you know someone with an identical motherboard you can do a
> hotflash. You boot the good system to DOS and while it is still
> running you pop out the BIOS chip and insert the corrupt one. You
> then just flash that chip using the Awdflash program. Now you have two
> good chips. (I did this after I received my replacement chip. Now I
> have a backup).
>
> Hotflashing is not as risky as it sounds but there is some risk. It is

Hi, Vile.

WinXP does not include MS-DOS, not even on a reboot. But it can make an
MS-DOS start-up disk.

In my Computer, with a blank (or expendable) diskette in the drive,
right-click on Drive A: and select Format... Then check Create and MS-DOS
startup disk.

Of course, MS-DOS can't read NTFS (without help from a third-party program),
so copy your new BIOS file to the floppy before you reboot with the floppy.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Vile" <vile5@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have the ep-8kta+ and can't boot to dos from wins xp pro to flash
> bios. Any tips? Alt F2 method does not work either it hangs, I can
> restart however w/o corruption so far.

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

I did try that once already, but at boot up screen it says can't boot
to dos. Any other thoughts? I might try a ME boot disk to dos for
xp.

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message news:<4124e368$1_1@127.0.0.1>...
> Hi, Vile.
>
> WinXP does not include MS-DOS, not even on a reboot. But it can make an
> MS-DOS start-up disk.
>
> In my Computer, with a blank (or expendable) diskette in the drive,
> right-click on Drive A: and select Format... Then check Create and MS-DOS
> startup disk.
>
> Of course, MS-DOS can't read NTFS (without help from a third-party program),
> so copy your new BIOS file to the floppy before you reboot with the floppy.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Vile" <vile5@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I have the ep-8kta+ and can't boot to dos from wins xp pro to flash
> > bios. Any tips? Alt F2 method does not work either it hangs, I can
> > restart however w/o corruption so far.

Hi, Vile.

It works for me. ;^}

I've forgotten the exact message, but as I recall, Ver identifies the MS-DOS
on the floppy as the Millennium version.

If you can't make it work, post back with the steps you took to create the
boot floppy, reset your computer to boot from floppy, put the diskette in
the drive and reboot. What is the exact message that your computer gives at
boot?

Booting from your ME floppy should work just as well. But, neither WinME
nor WinXP has anything to do with booting to DOS. We don't boot into
Windows, then go to DOS; we boot into MS-DOS and stop there without letting
it load Windows at all.

RC