Stuck disc drawer

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
October 11, 2004 11:05:01 AM

My pc has somehow managed to lose my cd/rw from its
memory, & so now I have no use of the disc drawer at all.
It wont open & had a disc sat in there. I cannot restart
either. Total novice, what is going on, I am going crazy.

More about : stuck disc drawer

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 12:22:46 PM

Nic wrote:
> My pc has somehow managed to lose my cd/rw from its
> memory, & so now I have no use of the disc drawer at all.
> It wont open & had a disc sat in there. I cannot restart
> either. Total novice, what is going on, I am going crazy.

It sounds very much as if the dive has simply failed, particularly
if pushing the eject button on the front of the drive doesn't work.
Power down the PC, use a straightened paper clip to manually eject the
the CD, and then replace the defective CD/RW drive.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 4:23:38 AM

"Nic" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My pc has somehow managed to lose my cd/rw from its
> memory, & so now I have no use of the disc drawer at all.
> It wont open & had a disc sat in there. I cannot restart
> either. Total novice, what is going on, I am going crazy.

Before going crazy, RTFM. It says "If unable to remove a
CD, take a paper clip, straighten it, then push it into the
small hole at the front of the CD drive to release the drawer
lock."

To see if this is a Windows or a hardware issue, boot the
machine with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
If you can access your CDs then you're dealing with
Windows problem. If you can't then you have a hardware
problem, perhaps a dislodged cable.
!