Memory weirdness - old mobo

Hi,

I just got 2 sticks of 64MB PC66 SDRAM (DIMMS) for my Epox P55TV2, and
when I install the memory in the motherboard, BIOS is only displaying
32MB total. From the part numbers on the memory (HP 8M64) these appear
to be 64MB SDRAMs.

Does anyone have any ideas about why each of these DIMMs is showing up
as 16MB instead of 64MB?

Thanks,
Jim

ohaya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got 2 sticks of 64MB PC66 SDRAM (DIMMS) for my Epox P55TV2, and
> when I install the memory in the motherboard, BIOS is only displaying
> 32MB total. From the part numbers on the memory (HP 8M64) these
> appear to be 64MB SDRAMs.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about why each of these DIMMs is showing up
> as 16MB instead of 64MB?

What do you get if you use them one at a time in each socket?

Graham W wrote:

> ohaya wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just got 2 sticks of 64MB PC66 SDRAM (DIMMS) for my Epox P55TV2, and
> > when I install the memory in the motherboard, BIOS is only displaying
> > 32MB total. From the part numbers on the memory (HP 8M64) these
> > appear to be 64MB SDRAMs.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas about why each of these DIMMs is showing up
> > as 16MB instead of 64MB?
>
> What do you get if you use them one at a time in each socket?

Graham,

It's kind of confusing, and I kind of don't remember, because I tried so
many different combinations, and I got different results depending on
both the DIMM slot and on the stick itself.

It seems like when I plugged one of them into one slot (DIMM2), it
didn't appear at all, and when I plugged one of them into the other slot
(DIMM1), it showed up as 16MB.

Right now I have all 4 SIMM slots with 16MB SIMMS (total 65MB), and one
of the DIMMs in DIMM1, and I'm getting a total of 80MB (the Epox
document says it's possible to have both SIMM and DIMM slots at same
time).

I tried putting all 4 SIMMs plus 2 DIMMs, and I was getting weirder
results, with different memory each time I booted.

Someone on another NG said that there's something like "2-clock" DIMMs
(older) and 4-clock DIMMs (newer) and that might be my problem, so I
just purchased a set of 5 32MB EDO SIMMs from Ebay, as it seems like the
P55TV2 may need the older 2-clock DIMMs.

Jim