Best processor for 8RDA3+?

sb

Hello! I have the 8RDA3+ board with an Athlon XP 2400+ proc but want to
upgrade it. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Athlon XP 3200 Barton proc
(400MHz FSB). Can anyone tell me how good the Barton chips are? Are they
better than the non-Barton Athlon XP chips? I'm trying to get the biggest
bang for my dollar for now, as I plan to upgrade to a 64bit system next
year.

Thanks!

Bartons are faster than non-Bartons thanks to the 512kb L2 cache. You get
the best bang for your dollar if you buy a mobile Barton and overclock it
to, say, 12.5*200 = 2.5GHz. That's alot faster than the XP 3200 Barton you
were thinking of.

You need to buy a premium cooler as well. And ram that can handle DDR400
(FSB 200). The ram is needed for the XP 3200 Barton as well.

I have a 8rda+ with a XP-M 2400+ overclocked to 12.5*200 @ 1.725V with a
Zalman 7000a CU cooler and I don't think I need to upgrade to 64bit next
year...

But if you don't want to OC you can pay more for less (i.e get the Xp3200).

/Ville

Ville Viking wrote:
> Bartons are faster than non-Bartons thanks to the 512kb L2 cache. You
> get the best bang for your dollar if you buy a mobile Barton and
> overclock it to, say, 12.5*200 = 2.5GHz. That's alot faster than the
> XP 3200 Barton you were thinking of.
>
> You need to buy a premium cooler as well. And ram that can handle
> DDR400 (FSB 200). The ram is needed for the XP 3200 Barton as well.
>
> I have a 8rda+ with a XP-M 2400+ overclocked to 12.5*200 @ 1.725V
> with a Zalman 7000a CU cooler and I don't think I need to upgrade to
> 64bit next year...
>
> But if you don't want to OC you can pay more for less (i.e get the
> Xp3200).

I'm on the verge of doing similarly! On your 8RDA+, which BIOS version
are you using?

> I'm on the verge of doing similarly! On your 8RDA+, which BIOS version
> are you using?

I use 8RDA4212 from feb -04, but if you plan to flash your bios: go for the
latest: 8RDA4729

/Ville

Ville Viking wrote:
>> I'm on the verge of doing similarly! On your 8RDA+, which BIOS
>> version are you using?
>>

> I use 8RDA4212 from feb -04, but if you plan to flash your bios: go
> for the latest: 8RDA4729
>
> /Ville

Thanks!

Is it actually necessary to use a late issue BIOS or will mine dated
9th June 2003 be OK?

> Is it actually necessary to use a late issue BIOS or will mine dated
> 9th June 2003 be OK?

It is probably OK. If you don't have any issues today there is no reason
for an upgrade. Read the release notes and see if any of the changes is of
any relevance for your hardware.

/Ville

Ville Viking wrote:
>> Is it actually necessary to use a late issue BIOS or will mine dated
>> 9th June 2003 be OK?
>>

> It is probably OK. If you don't have any issues today there is no
> reason for an upgrade. Read the release notes and see if any of the
> changes is of any relevance for your hardware.

I fitted the mobile XP-M2500 CPU (XMH2500FQQ4C stepping IQYHA)
and tried various settings. About the best *stable* setting I got was at
200 x 11 with the Crucial PC3200 memory at SPD. The VCore doesn't
seem to aid in getting it to run faster, I have it at 1.600v at the
moment.

I then used Magic BIOS and got the latest 2004-07-29 BIOS mainly
because the processor type report on the Boot screen didn't know
what it was. Unfortunately, the new BIOS doesn't inform it either!

I tried the previous higher settings, but the machine wasn't stable so
I came back to the 200 x 11 setting. So what is holding me back here?
I have 2 off 256MB PC3200 TwinMos that I could try.

The temperatures are pretty good and I can't get it over 50ºC what ever
I try!

> I tried the previous higher settings, but the machine wasn't stable so
> I came back to the 200 x 11 setting. So what is holding me back here?
> I have 2 off 256MB PC3200 TwinMos that I could try.

Impossible to say what is holding you back - you will have to experiment
and try to isolate the different parameters while testing.

I recommend you to get the superb tool 8rdavcore for your experiments. It
will let you adjust FSB, VCore, ram timings etc from Windows. It saves a
lot of time. The changes you make with 8rdavcore is not permanent, so if
your system locks up and you will have to reboot all settings will be back
to normal. Get it at http://www.hasw.net/

First you should find out what the max FSB for your mobo is. To do this you
should first lower the multi and release RAM timings to make sure that it
is not the cpu or the ram that is limiting you from upping FSB. Set multi
to 9 or someting, keep Vcore at 1.6V and set ram timings to something
looser than you have now. Say from 2-3-3-11 to 2.5-4-4-11 or to 3-5-5-11.
What is suitable will depend on your current settings and your ram. Read
the specification for you ram to find out what timings/speed(fsb 200 of
course)/voltage they are rated for.

Then raise FSB in suitable steps (+5 for ex) and test for stability. 3dmark
is good for that. When your system is instable, back down -1 until stable.
Then play FarCry or Doom3 or something to see if it is REALLY stable.

When you know you max FSB it is time to find out how far your cpu will go.
Increase the multi step by step and use Prime95 torturetest to test for
stability. When you get errors, increase VCore until stable and continue to
increase mulit/vcore while monitoring temps closely. Good cooling is
essential here. If you reach 50ºC already at 2.2GHz temps will probably be
too high if you run, say 2.5GHz @ 1.8V. You should consider getting better
cooling; your case must have good ventilation and the cpu cooler should be
a premium one to hanle these speeds/voltages.

Finally you should find out how low timings your ram can handle at your
selected FSB speed. Use Memtest to check stability. You can try to increase
voltage to the memory as well to get it stable at lower timings. You can
never go lower than 2-2-2-11 (well, actually the "11" can be a lot lower,
but that would be slower) but I doubt you reach that low, especially if you
reach higher FSB than 200. And of course it is possible that your other
pair of ram sticks can handle lower timings than the ones you use now - you
will have to try.

/Ville

"Ville Viking" <vikingville@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I tried the previous higher settings, but the machine wasn't stable so
> > I came back to the 200 x 11 setting. So what is holding me back here?
> > I have 2 off 256MB PC3200 TwinMos that I could try.
>

> Impossible to say what is holding you back - you will have to experiment
> and try to isolate the different parameters while testing.

Thanks for your detailed reply - much appreciated! I changed to the
TwinMOS memory and got a significant improvement in the memory
performance. With the above 200 x 11 it is close to the top of the table
on Aida32.

I tried pushing up the VCore but it didn't help much so I have concluded
that I should to leave it at 1.6v for the time being and see if I can
lower it
later to reduce heat. I don't really want to try odd values of FSB since
during trials last year, I had to reload Windows twice in a month because
the HDD interface fell over and destroyed the OS 8¬(.

I'm now having a battle with 'Colin McRae Rally 2005 - Demo'. I've
upgraded DirectX from 9.0b to 9.0c and at last I can see the menus,
But when I choose to do a time trial, it loads up the chosen stage about
half way and then drops out to the Desktop!

I've downloaded the Omega drivers and will see what that will do for the
GF4 Ti4200 which does quite well on the C.McRae 2004 demo.

> I don't really want to try odd values of FSB since
> during trials last year, I had to reload Windows twice in a month because
> the HDD interface fell over and destroyed the OS 8¬(.

A major advantages of the nForce2 chipset is that the clock speeds on the
PCI and AGP bus are independent of the FSB speed, i.e. your PCI- and AGP-
bus are kept att 33/66MHz no matter what your FSB speed is so your harddisk
should be just as safe (or unsafe...) with FSB 211 or 195 as it is with 166
or 200.

The AGP bus speed can be set to something else than 66MHz in bios, but I
don't see why anyone should. As far as I remember one can't affect the
speed of the PCI bus at all - it is locked at 33MHz.

Was the corrupted HDD data you experienced on a nForce2 mobo?? And I hope
that you are not using FAT file sysetm - that is like asking for corrupted
files.

> Graham W said:
> > I don't really want to try odd values of FSB since
> > during trials last year, I had to reload Windows twice in a month
because
> > the HDD interface fell over and destroyed the OS 8¬(.
>
> A major advantages of the nForce2 chipset is that the clock speeds on
the
> PCI and AGP bus are independent of the FSB speed, i.e. your PCI- and
AGP-
> bus are kept att 33/66MHz no matter what your FSB speed is so your
harddisk
> should be just as safe (or unsafe...) with FSB 211 or 195 as it is with
166
> or 200.
>
> The AGP bus speed can be set to something else than 66MHz in bios, but I
> don't see why anyone should. As far as I remember one can't affect the
> speed of the PCI bus at all - it is locked at 33MHz.
>
> Was the corrupted HDD data you experienced on a nForce2 mobo??

Yes, this one!

> And I hope
> that you are not using FAT file sysetm - that is like asking for
corrupted files.

Yes again.

Sorry for the delay, but have been busy with another 8RDA+ build using
a cloned W98 (1st Ed.) drive and am having bother with getting the nVidia
sound, USB2.0 and Lan drivers to load without yellow plings ! See the
other
thread.