Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sidewinder force feedback pro (gameport)

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
October 11, 2004 1:25:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

My force feedback joystick just doesn't seem to want to work with XP??

I have tried going to control panel and adding it through the Game
Controllers section but still nothing.

I have removed the gameport from the device manager, and let windows refind
it. Which it does and automatically finds a Sidewinder 3D joystick. But it
reports it is not connected. (Green Led on Joystick is on, and not flickering
as which happens when the AC adapter is not plugged in)

Now If I do the same again but unplug the Joystick, Windows finds the port
but not the joystick. Perfect. Then go to control panel and ask it to
autodetect the joystick, and it again finds the 3D pro even with nothing
plugged in.

If I plug the joystick in to a system witn win98 loaded and install the
driver.. It works perfectly
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 4:52:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Get the latest WinXP driver from your joystick manufacturer and install it
in Device Manager.

Chris wrote:
> My force feedback joystick just doesn't seem to want to work with XP??
>
> I have tried going to control panel and adding it through the Game
> Controllers section but still nothing.
>
> I have removed the gameport from the device manager, and let windows
> refind it. Which it does and automatically finds a Sidewinder 3D
> joystick. But it reports it is not connected. (Green Led on Joystick
> is on, and not flickering as which happens when the AC adapter is not
> plugged in)
>
> Now If I do the same again but unplug the Joystick, Windows finds the
> port but not the joystick. Perfect. Then go to control panel and ask
> it to autodetect the joystick, and it again finds the 3D pro even
> with nothing plugged in.
>
> If I plug the joystick in to a system witn win98 loaded and install
> the driver.. It works perfectly
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 5:12:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

There is no latest driver to download, it is already built into Windows XP.

Goto the Game Controller control panel
Then add Sidewinder (Auto Detect).

Also make sure your gameport drivers are up to date.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:%23BCBEU7rEHA.332@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Get the latest WinXP driver from your joystick manufacturer and install it
> in Device Manager.
>
> Chris wrote:
>> My force feedback joystick just doesn't seem to want to work with XP??
>>
>> I have tried going to control panel and adding it through the Game
>> Controllers section but still nothing.
>>
>> I have removed the gameport from the device manager, and let windows
>> refind it. Which it does and automatically finds a Sidewinder 3D
>> joystick. But it reports it is not connected. (Green Led on Joystick
>> is on, and not flickering as which happens when the AC adapter is not
>> plugged in)
>>
>> Now If I do the same again but unplug the Joystick, Windows finds the
>> port but not the joystick. Perfect. Then go to control panel and ask
>> it to autodetect the joystick, and it again finds the 3D pro even
>> with nothing plugged in.
>>
>> If I plug the joystick in to a system witn win98 loaded and install
>> the driver.. It works perfectly
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 1:58:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

The gameport drivers in XP are left-overs from older Windows. Microsoft has
stopped supporting gameports, in favaor of USB.

"Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:%23%23QNPW7rEHA.3396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> There is no latest driver to download, it is already built into Windows
> XP.
>
> Goto the Game Controller control panel
> Then add Sidewinder (Auto Detect).
>
> Also make sure your gameport drivers are up to date.
>
> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> message news:%23BCBEU7rEHA.332@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Get the latest WinXP driver from your joystick manufacturer and install
>> it
>> in Device Manager.
>>
>> Chris wrote:
>>> My force feedback joystick just doesn't seem to want to work with XP??
>>>
>>> I have tried going to control panel and adding it through the Game
>>> Controllers section but still nothing.
>>>
>>> I have removed the gameport from the device manager, and let windows
>>> refind it. Which it does and automatically finds a Sidewinder 3D
>>> joystick. But it reports it is not connected. (Green Led on Joystick
>>> is on, and not flickering as which happens when the AC adapter is not
>>> plugged in)
>>>
>>> Now If I do the same again but unplug the Joystick, Windows finds the
>>> port but not the joystick. Perfect. Then go to control panel and ask
>>> it to autodetect the joystick, and it again finds the 3D pro even
>>> with nothing plugged in.
>>>
>>> If I plug the joystick in to a system witn win98 loaded and install
>>> the driver.. It works perfectly
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 2:42:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Actually that isn't true. There are gameport drivers and drivers for
gameport devices in Windows XP. The reason the Sidewinder 3D Pro is showing
up in Game Controllers is because you are telling the driver there is a
device there. When it can't communicate with the device to determine what it
is, it just defaults to the 3D Pro. There is something wrong with your
gameport. The most common reasons for problems would be having more than one
gameport in the system, having misconfigured drivers, or having one that is
poor quality. The poor quality ones will typically either not ever give you
an "Ok" status, or will go "Not Connected" when the card starts processing
sounds. What kind of sound card do you have?

Joshua Smith
DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights


"Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
news:o bOQ$NGsEHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> The gameport drivers in XP are left-overs from older Windows. Microsoft
> has stopped supporting gameports, in favaor of USB.
>
> "Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> news:%23%23QNPW7rEHA.3396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> There is no latest driver to download, it is already built into Windows
>> XP.
>>
>> Goto the Game Controller control panel
>> Then add Sidewinder (Auto Detect).
>>
>> Also make sure your gameport drivers are up to date.
>>
>> --
>> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>>
>> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>>
>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>> message news:%23BCBEU7rEHA.332@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> Get the latest WinXP driver from your joystick manufacturer and install
>>> it
>>> in Device Manager.
>>>
>>> Chris wrote:
>>>> My force feedback joystick just doesn't seem to want to work with XP??
>>>>
>>>> I have tried going to control panel and adding it through the Game
>>>> Controllers section but still nothing.
>>>>
>>>> I have removed the gameport from the device manager, and let windows
>>>> refind it. Which it does and automatically finds a Sidewinder 3D
>>>> joystick. But it reports it is not connected. (Green Led on Joystick
>>>> is on, and not flickering as which happens when the AC adapter is not
>>>> plugged in)
>>>>
>>>> Now If I do the same again but unplug the Joystick, Windows finds the
>>>> port but not the joystick. Perfect. Then go to control panel and ask
>>>> it to autodetect the joystick, and it again finds the 3D pro even
>>>> with nothing plugged in.
>>>>
>>>> If I plug the joystick in to a system witn win98 loaded and install
>>>> the driver.. It works perfectly
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
!