USB 2.0 Hard Disk

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

I have a laptop 40GB drive in a USB2 housing that powers itself of the
USB port.

Plug and Play correctly detects this device on Windows 2000 and Windows
XP right down to "Generic volume".

However Windows Server 2003 will only detect "USB Mass Storage Device"
and "USB 2.0 Storage Device USB Device", not "Generic volume".

Am I missing a driver here or what?

TIA

Nick
4 answers Last reply
More about hard disk
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    What, key phrase Windows Server 2003

    "Nick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    |I have a laptop 40GB drive in a USB2 housing that powers
    itself of the
    | USB port.
    |
    | Plug and Play correctly detects this device on Windows
    2000 and Windows
    | XP right down to "Generic volume".
    |
    | However Windows Server 2003 will only detect "USB Mass
    Storage Device"
    | and "USB 2.0 Storage Device USB Device", not "Generic
    volume".

    | Am I missing a driver here or what?
    |
    | TIA
    |
    | Nick
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    It should still work fine under Windows 2003. You might need to go into the
    Disk Management and assign it a drive letter after you have connected it.

    --
    Eric Renken
    Microsoft Associate Expert.

    "Nick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >I have a laptop 40GB drive in a USB2 housing that powers itself of the USB
    >port.
    >
    > Plug and Play correctly detects this device on Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    > right down to "Generic volume".
    >
    > However Windows Server 2003 will only detect "USB Mass Storage Device" and
    > "USB 2.0 Storage Device USB Device", not "Generic volume".
    >
    > Am I missing a driver here or what?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Nick
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    Eric Renken wrote:
    > It should still work fine under Windows 2003. You might need to go into the
    > Disk Management and assign it a drive letter after you have connected it.

    It's a FAT32 partition on the USB drive.

    I checked and s2k3 supports FAT32, but the PnP fails to detect the
    partition, so DM won't help.

    Maybe the drive is on the way out; who knows.

    Nick
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > What, key phrase Windows Server 2003

    Too cryptic for me Jim! Please explain.

    Nick

Hardware USB Devices Microsoft Windows XP