nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

I have a laptop 40GB drive in a USB2 housing that powers itself of the
USB port.

Plug and Play correctly detects this device on Windows 2000 and Windows
XP right down to "Generic volume".

However Windows Server 2003 will only detect "USB Mass Storage Device"
and "USB 2.0 Storage Device USB Device", not "Generic volume".

Am I missing a driver here or what?

TIA

Nick

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

What, key phrase Windows Server 2003

"Nick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
|I have a laptop 40GB drive in a USB2 housing that powers
itself of the
| USB port.
|
| Plug and Play correctly detects this device on Windows
2000 and Windows
| XP right down to "Generic volume".
|
| However Windows Server 2003 will only detect "USB Mass
Storage Device"
| and "USB 2.0 Storage Device USB Device", not "Generic
volume".

| Am I missing a driver here or what?
|
| TIA
|
| Nick

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware (More info?)

It should still work fine under Windows 2003. You might need to go into the
Disk Management and assign it a drive letter after you have connected it.

--
Eric Renken
Microsoft Associate Expert.

Eric Renken wrote:
> It should still work fine under Windows 2003. You might need to go into the
> Disk Management and assign it a drive letter after you have connected it.

It's a FAT32 partition on the USB drive.

I checked and s2k3 supports FAT32, but the PnP fails to detect the
partition, so DM won't help.

Maybe the drive is on the way out; who knows.

Jim Macklin wrote:
> What, key phrase Windows Server 2003

Too cryptic for me Jim! Please explain.

Nick