Missing CD ROM and DVD drives

About a month ago I started to notice that my CD-ROM and DVD drives would
periodically disappear and then reappear. When they went missing I would go
into the device manager and they wouldn't even be there it was like they
weren't even connected. I've physically checked and rechecked the connections
and they are all good. I can't seem to figure out what's causing this or how
to fix it.

Can anyone here offer any suggestions?

Thanks.

peter

Hi,

You need to check:
1. The IDE flat ribbon cable. It may become fautly. You can buy a new one
@$5.- or less and then try again.
2. The 12 Volt power supply cable. Try switching another 12 V cable for the
CD-rom.

BTW, as you said both the CD-rom and DVD would disappeared at the same time,
I would try to change the IDE cable first as it is very unlikely that both
drives have power supply problem unless they are using the same 12V cable.

Peter