Digital camera as removable usb drive

October 11, 2004 4:47:11 PM

I need to have my XP Pro recognize my digital camera as a removable disk
drive.

I have plugged the usb cable into both my computer and camera and turned the
camera on. When I plug in my camera, the Hardware Wizard attempts to install
new hardware and looks for a HP photosmart Disk Drive INF file, which it
fails to find. The new hardware wizard fails.

The camera as disk drive is not available in My Computer. I have opened
Computer Management and only my hard drive and DVD/CD-RW are available.

The camera manufacturer claims there is a corrupt file in my XP. I have
already installed SP2.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 7:07:57 PM

Have you installed the missing file?

"cja" <cja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I need to have my XP Pro recognize my digital camera as a
removable disk
| drive.
|
| I have plugged the usb cable into both my computer and
camera and turned the
| camera on. When I plug in my camera, the Hardware Wizard
attempts to install
| new hardware and looks for a HP photosmart Disk Drive INF
file, which it
| fails to find. The new hardware wizard fails.
|
| The camera as disk drive is not available in My Computer.
I have opened
| Computer Management and only my hard drive and DVD/CD-RW
are available.

| The camera manufacturer claims there is a corrupt file in
my XP. I have
| already installed SP2.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 8:37:27 PM

"cja" <cja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to have my XP Pro recognize my digital camera as a removable
>disk
> drive.
>
> I have plugged the usb cable into both my computer and camera and
> turned the
> camera on. When I plug in my camera, the Hardware Wizard attempts to
> install
> new hardware and looks for a HP photosmart Disk Drive INF file, which
> it
> fails to find. The new hardware wizard fails.
>
> The camera as disk drive is not available in My Computer. I have
> opened
> Computer Management and only my hard drive and DVD/CD-RW are
> available.
>
> The camera manufacturer claims there is a corrupt file in my XP. I
> have
> already installed SP2.

Normally, you install the driver and software first, then connect the
camera the first time. This is probably explained in the manual as a
requirement for a successful installation. Now you should connect the
camera, open device manager, select view hidden devices, and remove
anything resembling the camera, then do a proper installation.

October 16, 2004 2:09:01 AM

I don't know the exact file that my computer is expecting - an INF file for
certain, but what file that is or where I get it, I do not know.

I have also purchased a USB card reader, which fails with the same message
about a missing or out of date INF file.

!