Digital camera as removable usb drive

I need to have my XP Pro recognize my digital camera as a removable disk
drive.

I have plugged the usb cable into both my computer and camera and turned the
camera on. When I plug in my camera, the Hardware Wizard attempts to install
new hardware and looks for a HP photosmart Disk Drive INF file, which it
fails to find. The new hardware wizard fails.

The camera as disk drive is not available in My Computer. I have opened
Computer Management and only my hard drive and DVD/CD-RW are available.

The camera manufacturer claims there is a corrupt file in my XP. I have
already installed SP2.
3 answers Last reply
More about digital camera removable drive

    Have you installed the missing file?

    "cja" <cja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    |I need to have my XP Pro recognize my digital camera as a
    removable disk
    | drive.
    |
    | I have plugged the usb cable into both my computer and
    camera and turned the
    | camera on. When I plug in my camera, the Hardware Wizard
    attempts to install
    | new hardware and looks for a HP photosmart Disk Drive INF
    file, which it
    | fails to find. The new hardware wizard fails.
    |
    | The camera as disk drive is not available in My Computer.
    I have opened
    | Computer Management and only my hard drive and DVD/CD-RW
    are available.

    | The camera manufacturer claims there is a corrupt file in
    my XP. I have
    | already installed SP2.

    "cja" <cja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to have my XP Pro recognize my digital camera as a removable
    >disk
    > drive.
    >
    > I have plugged the usb cable into both my computer and camera and
    > turned the
    > camera on. When I plug in my camera, the Hardware Wizard attempts to
    > install
    > new hardware and looks for a HP photosmart Disk Drive INF file, which
    > it
    > fails to find. The new hardware wizard fails.
    >
    > The camera as disk drive is not available in My Computer. I have
    > opened
    > Computer Management and only my hard drive and DVD/CD-RW are
    > available.
    >
    > The camera manufacturer claims there is a corrupt file in my XP. I
    > have
    > already installed SP2.

    Normally, you install the driver and software first, then connect the
    camera the first time. This is probably explained in the manual as a
    requirement for a successful installation. Now you should connect the
    camera, open device manager, select view hidden devices, and remove
    anything resembling the camera, then do a proper installation.

    I don't know the exact file that my computer is expecting - an INF file for
    certain, but what file that is or where I get it, I do not know.

    I have also purchased a USB card reader, which fails with the same message
    about a missing or out of date INF file.

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Have you installed the missing file?
    >

    > "cja" <cja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > |I need to have my XP Pro recognize my digital camera as a
    > removable disk
    > | drive.
    > |
    > | I have plugged the usb cable into both my computer and
    > camera and turned the
    > | camera on. When I plug in my camera, the Hardware Wizard
    > attempts to install
    > | new hardware and looks for a HP photosmart Disk Drive INF
    > file, which it
    > | fails to find. The new hardware wizard fails.
    > |
    > | The camera as disk drive is not available in My Computer.
    > I have opened
    > | Computer Management and only my hard drive and DVD/CD-RW
    > are available.
    > |
    > | The camera manufacturer claims there is a corrupt file in
    > my XP. I have
    > | already installed SP2.

Hardware Cameras Windows XP