8RDA+ and Win98

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2004 4:35:25 AM

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up an 8RDA+ as an upgrade to a machine
which runs Windows 98 (first Edition).

During detection, a 'PCI Universal Serial Bus' device is found
and I'm unable to identify what it is and what to do with it!

I have manually run the USB 2.0 drivers install from the CD but
I cannot get Device Mangler to show me an 'NVIDIA USB Enhanced
Host Controller' or 'USB 2.0 Root Hub Device' in one of the two
universal Serial Bus controllers entries.

Any idea what to do next?

More about : 8rda win98

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2004 5:49:44 AM

"Graham W" <graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to set up an 8RDA+ as an upgrade to a machine
> which runs Windows 98 (first Edition).
>
> During detection, a 'PCI Universal Serial Bus' device is found
> and I'm unable to identify what it is and what to do with it!
>
> I have manually run the USB 2.0 drivers install from the CD but
> I cannot get Device Mangler to show me an 'NVIDIA USB Enhanced
> Host Controller' or 'USB 2.0 Root Hub Device' in one of the two
> universal Serial Bus controllers entries.
>
> Any idea what to do next?

Win98 is limited in usb support - upgrade to SE and likely things look
better for u.
However, I have no idea how far this mobo still supports Win9x at all -
betta check with Epox support!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2004 7:09:52 PM

"Steven K" <nospam@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> "Graham W" <graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm trying to set up an 8RDA+ as an upgrade to a machine
> > which runs Windows 98 (first Edition).
> >
> > During detection, a 'PCI Universal Serial Bus' device is found
> > and I'm unable to identify what it is and what to do with it!
> >
> > I have manually run the USB 2.0 drivers install from the CD but
> > I cannot get Device Mangler to show me an 'NVIDIA USB Enhanced
> > Host Controller' or 'USB 2.0 Root Hub Device' in one of the two
> > universal Serial Bus controllers entries.
> >
> > Any idea what to do next?
>
> Win98 is limited in usb support - upgrade to SE and likely things look
> better for u.
> However, I have no idea how far this mobo still supports Win9x at all -
> betta check with Epox support!

Thanks Steve. I don't think it's 98 itself but something that is stopping
the driver being 'registered' in the loose sense of the word.

I also have a problem getting the NVidia sound device drivers loaded
as well. the 'PCI Universal Serial Bus' is still being detected and I
still
don't know what it is looking for.

a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 3:58:15 PM

AFAIK, there are no NF2 drivers for Win 98, only 98SE.Had dramas here trying
to get sound in win98(onboard or SBlive), and eventually gave up trying to
run some old games i have.
--
Steve H
Epox 8RDA+ v1.1,Vdd mod

> "Steven K" <nospam@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> > "Graham W" <graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> wrote in message
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I'm trying to set up an 8RDA+ as an upgrade to a machine
> > > which runs Windows 98 (first Edition).
> > >
> > > During detection, a 'PCI Universal Serial Bus' device is found
> > > and I'm unable to identify what it is and what to do with it!
> > >
> > > I have manually run the USB 2.0 drivers install from the CD but
> > > I cannot get Device Mangler to show me an 'NVIDIA USB Enhanced
> > > Host Controller' or 'USB 2.0 Root Hub Device' in one of the two
> > > universal Serial Bus controllers entries.
> > >
> > > Any idea what to do next?
> >
> > Win98 is limited in usb support - upgrade to SE and likely things look
> > better for u.
> > However, I have no idea how far this mobo still supports Win9x at all -
> > betta check with Epox support!
>
> Thanks Steve. I don't think it's 98 itself but something that is stopping
> the driver being 'registered' in the loose sense of the word.
>
> I also have a problem getting the NVidia sound device drivers loaded
> as well. the 'PCI Universal Serial Bus' is still being detected and I
> still
> don't know what it is looking for.
>

> --
> Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial
> WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro-society.freeserve.co.uk/ Wessex
> Dorset UK Astro Society's Web pages, Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps
> Change 'news' to 'sewn' in my Reply address to avoid my spam filter.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 16, 2004 4:24:37 PM

Graham W wrote:
> "Steven K" <nospam@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> "Graham W" <graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to set up an 8RDA+ as an upgrade to a machine
>>> which runs Windows 98 (first Edition).
>>>
>>> During detection, a 'PCI Universal Serial Bus' device is found
>>> and I'm unable to identify what it is and what to do with it!
>>>
>>> I have manually run the USB 2.0 drivers install from the CD but
>>> I cannot get Device Mangler to show me an 'NVIDIA USB Enhanced
>>> Host Controller' or 'USB 2.0 Root Hub Device' in one of the two
>>> universal Serial Bus controllers entries.
>>>
>>> Any idea what to do next?
>>
>> Win98 is limited in usb support - upgrade to SE and likely things
>> look better for u.
>> However, I have no idea how far this mobo still supports Win9x at
>> all - betta check with Epox support!
>
> Thanks Steve. I don't think it's 98 itself but something that is
> stopping the driver being 'registered' in the loose sense of the word.
>
> I also have a problem getting the NVidia sound device drivers loaded
> as well. the 'PCI Universal Serial Bus' is still being detected and I
> still
> don't know what it is looking for.

On Monday I fitted a clean HDD to it and installed Win98 First Ed. on
it thus avoiding any baggage from the original installation thwarting
my attempts to make things work.

It made not a bit of difference. The PCI device above still won't install
neither will the nVidia sound stuff.

On Tuesday I fitted another clean drive and installed Win98SE on it.
Then, the motherboard drivers all installed without any further fuss
at all!

So it looks like the motherboard is incompatible with Win98 First Ed.
despite the drivers being clearly described as e.g. 'Win98/Win98SE'
in their descriptions.

On Wednesday I obtained the owner's authority to use Win98SE and
proceeded to bring the machine up. The drivers loaded and all seemed
well. He came over and took the machine home.

He phoned later to say that during a restart, the machine hung at the
point in POST (75) where it searches for IDE devices. It appears that
CPU is in an infinite loop since the fans are not being monitored and
the keyboard doesn't work. I had this effect first thing Weds morning
but after changing the 80-way cable for a 40-way it started up so I fitted
a new 80-way and all seemed well for the rest of the day.

The drive is a Seagate 7200 Barracuda 40GB. Has anyone experienced
this behavior and does it point to the drive or motherboard? Any advice
welcome.

a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2004 2:33:44 AM

>>> Win98 is limited in usb support - upgrade to SE and likely things
>>> look better for u.
>>> However, I have no idea how far this mobo still supports Win9x at
>>> all - betta check with Epox support!
>>
>> Thanks Steve. I don't think it's 98 itself but something that is
>> stopping the driver being 'registered' in the loose sense of the word.
>>
>> I also have a problem getting the NVidia sound device drivers loaded
>> as well. the 'PCI Universal Serial Bus' is still being detected and I
>> still
>> don't know what it is looking for.
>
> On Monday I fitted a clean HDD to it and installed Win98 First Ed. on
> it thus avoiding any baggage from the original installation thwarting
> my attempts to make things work.
>
> It made not a bit of difference. The PCI device above still won't install
> neither will the nVidia sound stuff.
>
> On Tuesday I fitted another clean drive and installed Win98SE on it.
> Then, the motherboard drivers all installed without any further fuss
> at all!
>
> So it looks like the motherboard is incompatible with Win98 First Ed.
> despite the drivers being clearly described as e.g. 'Win98/Win98SE'
> in their descriptions.
>
> On Wednesday I obtained the owner's authority to use Win98SE and
> proceeded to bring the machine up. The drivers loaded and all seemed
> well. He came over and took the machine home.
>
> He phoned later to say that during a restart, the machine hung at the
> point in POST (75) where it searches for IDE devices. It appears that
> CPU is in an infinite loop since the fans are not being monitored and
> the keyboard doesn't work. I had this effect first thing Weds morning
> but after changing the 80-way cable for a 40-way it started up so I fitted
> a new 80-way and all seemed well for the rest of the day.
>
> The drive is a Seagate 7200 Barracuda 40GB. Has anyone experienced
> this behavior and does it point to the drive or motherboard? Any advice
> welcome.

Be a bit careful with ol SE on a new style mobo - relax ram timing a bit to
give SE a chance to properly synchronise with all devices. Make sure all win
updates for SE are installed especially the HD cache patch. Don't forget to
install the mobo's chipset and ide driver.
September 17, 2004 3:04:00 AM

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:35:25 +0100, "Graham W" <graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I'm trying to set up an 8RDA+ as an upgrade to a machine
>which runs Windows 98 (first Edition).
>
>During detection, a 'PCI Universal Serial Bus' device is found
>and I'm unable to identify what it is and what to do with it!
>
>I have manually run the USB 2.0 drivers install from the CD but
>I cannot get Device Mangler to show me an 'NVIDIA USB Enhanced
>Host Controller' or 'USB 2.0 Root Hub Device' in one of the two
>universal Serial Bus controllers entries.
>
>Any idea what to do next?

I run this board with a very old and often update OS.

Installation date is 06.03.1996...!
First win95 (a) , updated on win95B, update to win95C, to win98 and last to win98SE.
it is still the same system , several times copied to an bigger HD.

It works perfekt , except midi _in .
I use now an USB interface for midi and deaktivated
the onboard UART.

The USB 2.0 driver is a special one from the Epox website and it needs win98se.
There are three devices for USB.
Two for USB 1.0 ( four ports) and one for 2.0 (two ports).

Aktivated and deaktivated in BIOS.......it´s your choice what will be up.

The soundstormdriver ( MIDI) only works under second edition too.
So get an UPdate to SE and be happy.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2004 8:45:50 AM

Steven K wrote:
<...>
> Be a bit careful with ol SE on a new style mobo - relax ram timing a
> bit to give SE a chance to properly synchronise with all devices.

I left the RAM timings at 'auto'.

> Make sure all win updates for SE are installed especially the HD
> cache patch.

I'll do that when I next get the machine in. It's with its owner currently
since he needed it back.

> Don't forget to install the mobo's chipset and ide
> driver.

I ran the 'Install nVidia Chipset Drivers' from the CD. Aren't the IDE
drivers in there? The HDD had 'DMA' in its Device Mangler properties.

a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2004 10:58:58 AM

> Steven K wrote:
> <...>
>> Don't forget to install the mobo's chipset and ide
>> driver.
>
> I ran the 'Install nVidia Chipset Drivers' from the CD. Aren't the IDE
> drivers in there? The HDD had 'DMA' in its Device Mangler properties.

When the HD is in UDMA mode it should be fine - u can check the ide driver
by going into its properties(device manager). If the driver provider is
*not* Microsoft then it has been installed. However, check for a later
version of the chipset/ide driver since those provided on CD are usually
outdated.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2004 2:52:25 PM

> "Graham W" <graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> wrote in message
> > Steven K wrote:
> > <...>
> >> Don't forget to install the mobo's chipset and ide
> >> driver.
> >
> > I ran the 'Install nVidia Chipset Drivers' from the CD. Aren't the IDE
> > drivers in there? The HDD had 'DMA' in its Device Mangler properties.
>
> When the HD is in UDMA mode it should be fine - u can check the ide
driver
> by going into its properties(device manager). If the driver provider is
> *not* Microsoft then it has been installed. However, check for a later
> version of the chipset/ide driver since those provided on CD are usually
> outdated.

Agreed - I did get the latest driver pack when trying to get W98 1Ed going
but I used the CD when I put W98 2Ed on.

My own is an 8RDA+ v1.1 but I think this one is either v2.0 or v2.2. I'll
see
it in a week and a half and try and get these remaining items cleared up.
BTW, the RAM is Crucial PC3200 but it isn't the fastest in the world.

It has invented another trick - thinks it needs to use a US country prefix
after having been set up to use the UK one in the Dial Up Connection
from DUN. I got him to make another connectoid with 'don't use country
code' set and that at least seems to have stuck! Note - it was quite
satisfactory when here over several connections and updates/restarts.

Thanks for the suggestions again.

a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2004 2:32:02 AM

> Agreed - I did get the latest driver pack when trying to get W98 1Ed going
> but I used the CD when I put W98 2Ed on.
>
> My own is an 8RDA+ v1.1 but I think this one is either v2.0 or v2.2. I'll
> see
> it in a week and a half and try and get these remaining items cleared up.
> BTW, the RAM is Crucial PC3200 but it isn't the fastest in the world.

For my part I am always with Kingston RAM since they are the only one
offering a true lifetime warranty on their sticks - well, never had any
issues, so I never could test their warranty! :-(
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 18, 2004 8:20:36 AM

> "Graham W" <graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> wrote in message
> >
> > Agreed - I did get the latest driver pack when trying to get W98 1Ed
going
> > but I used the CD when I put W98 2Ed on.
> >
> > My own is an 8RDA+ v1.1 but I think this one is either v2.0 or v2.2.
I'll
> > see
> > it in a week and a half and try and get these remaining items cleared
up.
> > BTW, the RAM is Crucial PC3200 but it isn't the fastest in the world.

> For my part I am always with Kingston RAM since they are the only one
> offering a true lifetime warranty on their sticks - well, never had any
> issues, so I never could test their warranty! :-(

In UK, Crucial offer a lifetime guarantee and I have been in the position
to find out how good it was, 8¬(. But I needed have no worries, it was
very efficient and I was up an' running in 1 day - just the time it took
for
the new sticks to be sent first class post. (I had both changed out but
only one had gone down.)