Hello,

I would like to upgrade the CPU in my motherboard. My board supports
this CPU which will boost the speed from 700 to 933, and up the bus
from 100 to 133 MHz.

I am running XP Home on that machine... Will I be able to just "plug
'n play", or will this be the equivalent of a frontal lobotomy?

Steve

It should be a straight plug and play. Unless you change
the mobo and video. But just swapping the CPU and setting
the BIOS to 133 FSB should not cause any problem.

Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
| http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! >100,000 Newsgroups
| ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total
Privacy via Encryption =---

It should be plug 'n play. Hard part is going to be finding the processor.
You're going to have to settle for a used one, so be careful where you buy
it. If you get a bad one, you may end up thinking its something you did or
didn't do, and waste a lot of time troubleshooting something that's not your
fault.

"Steve Wormuth" <wormuth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like to upgrade the CPU in my motherboard. My board supports
> this CPU which will boost the speed from 700 to 933, and up the bus
> from 100 to 133 MHz.
>
> I am running XP Home on that machine... Will I be able to just "plug
> 'n play", or will this be the equivalent of a frontal lobotomy?
>
> Steve

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =---

peter

It is straight forward but not worth to take the risks to do as there would
not be a significant improvement on the PC performance.

The risks are that the new CPU may not work (unless it is brand new and with
full warranty which I doubted) and the old CPU may be damaged when you tried
to remove it from the mobo. It is not easy to remove the CPU cooling fan from
the CPU as the thermal paste between the base of the cooling fan and CPU may
be hardened ; they just stick together and need skillful hands to separate
them.

Peter

Peter