Just thought I'd pose a question here.

I recently purchased an 8KDA3J and an Athlon 3400+. It seems that I may
have a voltage problem, but I am not sure. I've returned the motherboard
once already thinking the problem was there, but apparently not.The
components installed are:... at least when running properly.

Antec TruPower 550W
AMD 64 3400+ w/CPU Fan
2X 512M Crucial PC3200
ATI 9700Pro
WD 80GB HDD
Phillips CD-RW
120MM Case Fan

The problems happed when I install the rest of the components I have.

SB Audigy2 ZS
WD 250GB HDD
DVD-ROM Drive
Hauppauge WinTV PCI

With the mainboard that I returned I thought that the problem was in the
onboard IDE controllers. However, the problems I am having now lead me to
believe that it is a voltage problem.

Does the AMD 64 draw so much power that it would cause problems? I had the
exact same setup before except with an XP 2000+ CPU and an 8RDA3 mainboard,
the only things that have change are the CPU and the mainboard.

Thanks for any help... it is appreciated.

And what are the problems that you are referring to?

The voltage is suppose to go up and down... that is how the CnQ
(cool'n'quiet) technology works.

What bios version are you using? 9/15 is the most recent.

"rc1974" <aux_egro@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just thought I'd pose a question here.
>
> I recently purchased an 8KDA3J and an Athlon 3400+. It seems that I may
> have a voltage problem, but I am not sure. I've returned the motherboard
> once already thinking the problem was there, but apparently not.The
> components installed are:... at least when running properly.
>
> Antec TruPower 550W
> AMD 64 3400+ w/CPU Fan
> 2X 512M Crucial PC3200
> ATI 9700Pro
> WD 80GB HDD
> Phillips CD-RW
> 120MM Case Fan
>
> The problems happed when I install the rest of the components I have.
>
> SB Audigy2 ZS
> WD 250GB HDD
> DVD-ROM Drive
> Hauppauge WinTV PCI
>
> With the mainboard that I returned I thought that the problem was in the
> onboard IDE controllers. However, the problems I am having now lead me to
> believe that it is a voltage problem.
>
> Does the AMD 64 draw so much power that it would cause problems? I had
> the exact same setup before except with an XP 2000+ CPU and an 8RDA3
> mainboard, the only things that have change are the CPU and the mainboard.
>
> Thanks for any help... it is appreciated.

---

Problems... stability, BSOD's, non-bootable after crashing,
spontaneously rebooting. So far I am running ok with just one HDD, my
CD-RW, 9700Pro, and onboard sound.

The voltage on the CPU isn't what I was referring to and I have read
about CnQ. I was just wondering if a voltage problem other than the CPU
voltage, but possibly the CPU voltage was causing my problem. Whenever I
would add another device to the computer, be it a sound card, DVD, or
another hard drive, the computer would go nuts. Most of the time it would
BSOD and then would never boot into XP, preferring to reboot instead. I
would attemp to reload XP, but even booting from CD, the computer would
continously reboot. I couldn't even get to the point where XP install asks
if you want to repair the installation or refomat the drive. To reformat the
drive I had to end up using another computer.

As for the BIOS, the board came with the 7/09/04 bios. I upgraded to the
9/15/04 bios, but have not checked to see if the problem still exists, which
is in my situation, an unstable, crash prone system. I have heard that many
people are having success with the 5/14/04 bios. I have been researching
other boards from other manufacturers. If over the weekend I find that the
9/15/04 bios did not solve the problem I may have to ditch this board and go
for another.

"LBJGH" <bite_mee@hotsnail.back> wrote in message
> And what are the problems that you are referring to?
>
> The voltage is suppose to go up and down... that is how the CnQ
> (cool'n'quiet) technology works.
>
> What bios version are you using? 9/15 is the most recent.
>
> "rc1974" <aux_egro@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Just thought I'd pose a question here.
> >
> > I recently purchased an 8KDA3J and an Athlon 3400+. It seems that I
may
> > have a voltage problem, but I am not sure. I've returned the
motherboard
> > once already thinking the problem was there, but apparently not.The
> > components installed are:... at least when running properly.
> >
> > Antec TruPower 550W
> > AMD 64 3400+ w/CPU Fan
> > 2X 512M Crucial PC3200
> > ATI 9700Pro
> > WD 80GB HDD
> > Phillips CD-RW
> > 120MM Case Fan
> >
> > The problems happed when I install the rest of the components I have.
> >
> > SB Audigy2 ZS
> > WD 250GB HDD
> > DVD-ROM Drive
> > Hauppauge WinTV PCI
> >
> > With the mainboard that I returned I thought that the problem was in the
> > onboard IDE controllers. However, the problems I am having now lead me
> > believe that it is a voltage problem.
> >
> > Does the AMD 64 draw so much power that it would cause problems? I had
> > the exact same setup before except with an XP 2000+ CPU and an 8RDA3
> > mainboard, the only things that have change are the CPU and the
mainboard.

> > Thanks for any help... it is appreciated.
> >

> ---

How is your PSU?

Also, how many sticks of ram are you using? ... and are you mixing memory
sticks, i.e. speed rating or manufacturers. The memory controller is on the
CPU so you can blame the board if it is crashing with mixed memory. I had
that problem when I first build my 8kda3+ with a mix of corsair and ocz
memory.

> [...]
>> > ATI 9700Pro
>> > WD 80GB HDD
>> > Phillips CD-RW
>> > 120MM Case Fan
>> >
>> > The problems happed when I install the rest of the components I have.
>> >
>> > SB Audigy2 ZS
>> > WD 250GB HDD
>> > DVD-ROM Drive
>> > Hauppauge WinTV PCI
>> >
>> > With the mainboard that I returned I thought that the problem was in
>> > the
>> > onboard IDE controllers. However, the problems I am having now lead me
>> > believe that it is a voltage problem.
>> >
>> > Does the AMD 64 draw so much power that it would cause problems? I had
>> > the exact same setup before except with an XP 2000+ CPU and an 8RDA3
>> > mainboard, the only things that have change are the CPU and the
> mainboard.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help... it is appreciated.

---

"rc1974" <aux_egro@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just thought I'd pose a question here.
>
> I recently purchased an 8KDA3J and an Athlon 3400+. It seems that I may
> have a voltage problem, but I am not sure. I've returned the motherboard
> once already thinking the problem was there, but apparently not.The
> components installed are:... at least when running properly.
>
> Antec TruPower 550W
> AMD 64 3400+ w/CPU Fan
> 2X 512M Crucial PC3200
> ATI 9700Pro
> WD 80GB HDD
> Phillips CD-RW
> 120MM Case Fan
>
> The problems happed when I install the rest of the components I have.
>
> SB Audigy2 ZS
> WD 250GB HDD
> DVD-ROM Drive
> Hauppauge WinTV PCI
>
> With the mainboard that I returned I thought that the problem was in the
> onboard IDE controllers. However, the problems I am having now lead me to
> believe that it is a voltage problem.
>
> Does the AMD 64 draw so much power that it would cause problems? I had
> the exact same setup before except with an XP 2000+ CPU and an 8RDA3
> mainboard, the only things that have change are the CPU and the mainboard.
>
> Thanks for any help... it is appreciated.

And what exactly are the voltage readings in the bios?

Install the usdm software that came on the cd with the mb, and it will
correctly report the temperatures and voltages (or at least it should,
it does with my 8kda+ mb).

You should check the rails on your psu. But seeing as its a namebrand
Im thinking it should be good enough. I believe amd recommends at least
23A on the +12V line.

Just the record, Im using the 8kda+ mb, 3200 amd64 cpu, 1 gig pc3200
ram, fx5700 video card, 1 sata hd, 1 ide hd, 1 dvdrw, 1 cdrw, and a nic,
and I have no voltage problems with a 400w antec. Using 05/05 bios.
(came with the mb, and i see no point in upgrading).

Some other forums you may want to check out are:

http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Hope that helps.

M.

rc1974 wrote:
> [...]
>>>2X 512M Crucial PC3200
>>>ATI 9700Pro
>>>WD 80GB HDD
>>>Phillips CD-RW
>>>120MM Case Fan
>>>
>>>The problems happed when I install the rest of the components I have.
>>>
>>>SB Audigy2 ZS
>>>WD 250GB HDD
>>>DVD-ROM Drive
>>>Hauppauge WinTV PCI
>>>
>>>With the mainboard that I returned I thought that the problem was in the
>>>onboard IDE controllers. However, the problems I am having now lead me

>>>believe that it is a voltage problem.
>>>
>>>Does the AMD 64 draw so much power that it would cause problems? I had
>>>the exact same setup before except with an XP 2000+ CPU and an 8RDA3
>>>mainboard, the only things that have change are the CPU and the
>
> mainboard.
>
>>>Thanks for any help... it is appreciated.

I am running two, but both are 512MB Cruicial PC3200's

However, thanks for the info.

> How is your PSU?
>
> Also, how many sticks of ram are you using? ... and are you mixing memory
> sticks, i.e. speed rating or manufacturers. The memory controller is on
> the CPU so you can blame the board if it is crashing with mixed memory. I
> had that problem when I first build my 8kda3+ with a mix of corsair and
> ocz memory.
>

> "rc1974" <aux_egro@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Problems... stability, BSOD's, non-bootable after crashing,
>> spontaneously rebooting. So far I am running ok with just one HDD, my
>> CD-RW, 9700Pro, and onboard sound.
>>
>> The voltage on the CPU isn't what I was referring to and I have read
>> about CnQ. I was just wondering if a voltage problem other than the CPU
>> voltage, but possibly the CPU voltage was causing my problem. Whenever I
>> would add another device to the computer, be it a sound card, DVD, or
>> another hard drive, the computer would go nuts. Most of the time it
>> would
>> BSOD and then would never boot into XP, preferring to reboot instead. I
>> would attemp to reload XP, but even booting from CD, the computer would
>> continously reboot. I couldn't even get to the point where XP install
>> asks
>> if you want to repair the installation or refomat the drive. To reformat
>> the
>> drive I had to end up using another computer.
>>
>> As for the BIOS, the board came with the 7/09/04 bios. I upgraded to
>> the
>> 9/15/04 bios, but have not checked to see if the problem still exists,
>> which
>> is in my situation, an unstable, crash prone system. I have heard that
>> many
>> people are having success with the 5/14/04 bios. I have been researching
>> other boards from other manufacturers. If over the weekend I find that
>> the
>> 9/15/04 bios did not solve the problem I may have to ditch this board and
>> go
>> for another.
>>

>> "LBJGH" <bite_mee@hotsnail.back> wrote in message
>>> And what are the problems that you are referring to?
>>>
>>> The voltage is suppose to go up and down... that is how the CnQ
>>> (cool'n'quiet) technology works.
>>>
>>> What bios version are you using? 9/15 is the most recent.
>>>
>>> "rc1974" <aux_egro@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> may
>> motherboard

>> mainboard.

>>> ---
>>>

> ---

Checked it, but I don't remember what it was. I was going to check the PSU
voltages with a multimeter, but the one I thought I had turned out to be
broken.

The PSU I am running is an Antec TruPower 550W

"Steven K" <nospam@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> "rc1974" <aux_egro@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Just thought I'd pose a question here.
>>
>> I recently purchased an 8KDA3J and an Athlon 3400+. It seems that I may
>> have a voltage problem, but I am not sure. I've returned the
>> motherboard
>> once already thinking the problem was there, but apparently not.The
>> components installed are:... at least when running properly.
>>
>> Antec TruPower 550W
>> AMD 64 3400+ w/CPU Fan
>> 2X 512M Crucial PC3200
>> ATI 9700Pro
>> WD 80GB HDD
>> Phillips CD-RW
>> 120MM Case Fan
>>
>> The problems happed when I install the rest of the components I have.
>>
>> SB Audigy2 ZS
>> WD 250GB HDD
>> DVD-ROM Drive
>> Hauppauge WinTV PCI
>>
>> With the mainboard that I returned I thought that the problem was in the
>> onboard IDE controllers. However, the problems I am having now lead me to
>> believe that it is a voltage problem.
>>
>> Does the AMD 64 draw so much power that it would cause problems? I had
>> the exact same setup before except with an XP 2000+ CPU and an 8RDA3
>> mainboard, the only things that have change are the CPU and the
>> mainboard.
>>
>> Thanks for any help... it is appreciated.
>
> And what exactly are the voltage readings in the bios?

anyhow, I probably will get a different board, but thanks for the help
anyhow.

"rc1974" <aux_egro@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just thought I'd pose a question here.
>
> I recently purchased an 8KDA3J and an Athlon 3400+. It seems that I may
> have a voltage problem, but I am not sure. I've returned the motherboard
> once already thinking the problem was there, but apparently not.The
> components installed are:... at least when running properly.
>
> Antec TruPower 550W
> AMD 64 3400+ w/CPU Fan
> 2X 512M Crucial PC3200
> ATI 9700Pro
> WD 80GB HDD
> Phillips CD-RW
> 120MM Case Fan
>
> The problems happed when I install the rest of the components I have.
>
> SB Audigy2 ZS
> WD 250GB HDD
> DVD-ROM Drive
> Hauppauge WinTV PCI
>
> With the mainboard that I returned I thought that the problem was in the
> onboard IDE controllers. However, the problems I am having now lead me to
> believe that it is a voltage problem.
>
> Does the AMD 64 draw so much power that it would cause problems? I had
> the exact same setup before except with an XP 2000+ CPU and an 8RDA3
> mainboard, the only things that have change are the CPU and the mainboard.
>
> Thanks for any help... it is appreciated.

voltage checks

5.04 on +5V line
12.04 on +12V line