Registry Error, Device Manger is Blank, USB Stopped working.

JoAnne

About a week ago, there was a registry error when starting up my computer. I
proceeded in safe mode, but could not detect the problem. Later, I noticed
the local networking icon missing in Network Connection and the USB (all) and
parallel connections had stopped working. However, the network (internet
card) connection and CD/DVD works. When I try to access the Device Manger,
the panel opens but does not show anything in it. I attempted a System
Restore but it failed no matter which date I choose. The Microsoft Knowledge
base only addresses updating or removing drivers with a working Device Manger
and does not indicate how to repair it . Is there a way to restore the Device
Manger or must I reload WinXP? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks, Joanne

Dell 4550, 2.6 GH, 1 GB Memory, WinXP, SP2 (installed this 2 weeks ago with
no problems)

Try a repair installation. Boot off your XP CD, choose to INSTALL, it
will find the existing installation and offer to repair it, press R to
repair, and go from there ;)

-----
Nathan McNulty

Joanne wrote:
> About a week ago, there was a registry error when starting up my computer. I
> proceeded in safe mode, but could not detect the problem. Later, I noticed
> the local networking icon missing in Network Connection and the USB (all) and
> parallel connections had stopped working. However, the network (internet
> card) connection and CD/DVD works. When I try to access the Device Manger,
> the panel opens but does not show anything in it. I attempted a System
> Restore but it failed no matter which date I choose. The Microsoft Knowledge
> base only addresses updating or removing drivers with a working Device Manger
> and does not indicate how to repair it . Is there a way to restore the Device
> Manger or must I reload WinXP? I would appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks, Joanne
>
> Dell 4550, 2.6 GH, 1 GB Memory, WinXP, SP2 (installed this 2 weeks ago with
> no problems)

JoAnne

Thank you for your response. I did as you suggested. However, it kept hanging
at the same place (while loading devices). I tried several times, thinking
it would repair enough each time and would evenulaty get pass the problem
area. I finaly decided to make a backup and performed a clean install.
Everything is up and running fine. Take care, Joanne