Registry Error, Device Manger is Blank, USB Stopped working.

About a week ago, there was a registry error when starting up my computer. I
proceeded in safe mode, but could not detect the problem. Later, I noticed
the local networking icon missing in Network Connection and the USB (all) and
parallel connections had stopped working. However, the network (internet
card) connection and CD/DVD works. When I try to access the Device Manger,
the panel opens but does not show anything in it. I attempted a System
Restore but it failed no matter which date I choose. The Microsoft Knowledge
base only addresses updating or removing drivers with a working Device Manger
and does not indicate how to repair it . Is there a way to restore the Device
Manger or must I reload WinXP? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks, Joanne

Dell 4550, 2.6 GH, 1 GB Memory, WinXP, SP2 (installed this 2 weeks ago with
no problems)
2 answers Last reply
More about registry error device manger blank stopped working

    Try a repair installation. Boot off your XP CD, choose to INSTALL, it
    will find the existing installation and offer to repair it, press R to
    repair, and go from there ;)

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Joanne wrote:
    > About a week ago, there was a registry error when starting up my computer. I
    > proceeded in safe mode, but could not detect the problem. Later, I noticed
    > the local networking icon missing in Network Connection and the USB (all) and
    > parallel connections had stopped working. However, the network (internet
    > card) connection and CD/DVD works. When I try to access the Device Manger,
    > the panel opens but does not show anything in it. I attempted a System
    > Restore but it failed no matter which date I choose. The Microsoft Knowledge
    > base only addresses updating or removing drivers with a working Device Manger
    > and does not indicate how to repair it . Is there a way to restore the Device
    > Manger or must I reload WinXP? I would appreciate any help.
    >
    > Thanks, Joanne
    >
    > Dell 4550, 2.6 GH, 1 GB Memory, WinXP, SP2 (installed this 2 weeks ago with
    > no problems)

    Thank you for your response. I did as you suggested. However, it kept hanging
    at the same place (while loading devices). I tried several times, thinking
    it would repair enough each time and would evenulaty get pass the problem
    area. I finaly decided to make a backup and performed a clean install.
    Everything is up and running fine. Take care, Joanne

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Try a repair installation. Boot off your XP CD, choose to INSTALL, it
    > will find the existing installation and offer to repair it, press R to
    > repair, and go from there ;)
    >
    > -----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > Joanne wrote:
    > > About a week ago, there was a registry error when starting up my computer. I
    > > proceeded in safe mode, but could not detect the problem. Later, I noticed
    > > the local networking icon missing in Network Connection and the USB (all) and
    > > parallel connections had stopped working. However, the network (internet
    > > card) connection and CD/DVD works. When I try to access the Device Manger,
    > > the panel opens but does not show anything in it. I attempted a System
    > > Restore but it failed no matter which date I choose. The Microsoft Knowledge
    > > base only addresses updating or removing drivers with a working Device Manger
    > > and does not indicate how to repair it . Is there a way to restore the Device
    > > Manger or must I reload WinXP? I would appreciate any help.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Joanne
    > >
    > > Dell 4550, 2.6 GH, 1 GB Memory, WinXP, SP2 (installed this 2 weeks ago with
    > > no problems)

Registry Error Devices Windows XP