Wireless Zero Config + connection dropping

Hi,

I am using Windows XP Home with SP2, and have NTL BB via a cable modem, and
have wireless networking between two identical computers. My networking
equipment is the Belkin Cable/DSL Wireless Gateway Router + the 54Mbps USB
adapter.

I use the Wireless Zero Configuration Utility for this network, as the
Belkin one causes my PC to crash. The problem is, every few minutes the
connection drops and then connects again, giving the annoying message about
having connected. It always has "very good" connection status.

How can I stop the connection dropping? It's nothing to do with the power
saving, no Belkin software is still installed, and Wireless Zero is enabled
always.

Thanks, Lewis.

Lewis,

You might want to check to ensure that you haven't somehow accidentally
enabled 802.1x on the connection. To do this follow these instructions:
- Open Network Connections
- Right-click the connection for which you want to enable or disable IEEE
802.1x authentication, and then click Properties.
- Click on the Wireless Networks tab.
- Highlight the network name you are connecting to and click the Properties
button.
- On the Authentication tab, clear the Network access control using IEEE
802.1X check box.

Dave
newsgroup purposes only."
OR if you wish to include a script sample in your post please add "Use of
included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"

"collantine114" <collantine114@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am using Windows XP Home with SP2, and have NTL BB via a cable modem,
> and
> have wireless networking between two identical computers. My networking
> equipment is the Belkin Cable/DSL Wireless Gateway Router + the 54Mbps USB
> adapter.
>
> I use the Wireless Zero Configuration Utility for this network, as the
> Belkin one causes my PC to crash. The problem is, every few minutes the
> connection drops and then connects again, giving the annoying message
> about
> having connected. It always has "very good" connection status.
>
> How can I stop the connection dropping? It's nothing to do with the power
> saving, no Belkin software is still installed, and Wireless Zero is
> enabled
> always.
>
> Thanks, Lewis.

Thanks for your reply Dave.

When I go to the place you mentioned, it is all greyed out and a message at
the bottom says that I cannot use 801.xx as I am not using encryption. When I
try to use encryption or security settings, the connection doesn't seem to
work....I must be using the wrong combination because they are supported. It
is currently set to Open, with encryption Off.

Connection still dropping.

Lewis