8KRAI Problem: Won't boot from primary IDE1 on fresh insta..

This one is a weird one. I boot XP from the Setup CD, run the
installer, format full NTFS (not Quick Format), XP CD copies the setup
files to C:, restarts and gives an error message of BOOT DISK ERROR -
INSERT BOOT CD on 1st boot. BIOS setting for boot sequence is 1)
Floppy, 2) Hard Drive 3) CDROM. If I allow it to detect the WinXP CD
in the CDROM drive but not boot from it, it does boot from primary
IDE1. Anyone have this problem? Any help would be appreciated. BIOS is
at 8/10/04.

- Pavlov

Check out my pics!
http://www.neiu.edu/~akkoziol

"Pavlov" <.@.> wrote in message
> This one is a weird one. I boot XP from the Setup CD, run the
> installer, format full NTFS (not Quick Format), XP CD copies the setup
> files to C:, restarts and gives an error message of BOOT DISK ERROR -
> INSERT BOOT CD on 1st boot. BIOS setting for boot sequence is 1)
> Floppy, 2) Hard Drive 3) CDROM. If I allow it to detect the WinXP CD
> in the CDROM drive but not boot from it, it does boot from primary
> IDE1. Anyone have this problem? Any help would be appreciated. BIOS is
> at 8/10/04.

Surely you should have the CDRom as second boot (or instead of)
the floppy drive? When the restart happens after the HDD has been
prepared, it still is not a working OS for any purpose.

>> This one is a weird one. I boot XP from the Setup CD, run the
>> installer, format full NTFS (not Quick Format), XP CD copies the setup
>> files to C:, restarts and gives an error message of BOOT DISK ERROR -
>> INSERT BOOT CD on 1st boot. BIOS setting for boot sequence is 1)
>> Floppy, 2) Hard Drive 3) CDROM. If I allow it to detect the WinXP CD
>> in the CDROM drive but not boot from it, it does boot from primary
>> IDE1. Anyone have this problem? Any help would be appreciated. BIOS is
>> at 8/10/04.
>
>Surely you should have the CDRom as second boot (or instead of)
>the floppy drive? When the restart happens after the HDD has been
>prepared, it still is not a working OS for any purpose.

Thanks for your reply. Yep, I've tried switching off all other boot
device options so that only the HD is selected as the 1st boot device
but still nothing happens. It always says Boot Disk Error even if I
remove ALL devices from the IDE1 channel and just have primary IDE1
master attached. So to answer your question, after XP has prepared the
HDD it is still not booting into a working OS. Last night I tried
another HD that I allowed XP setup to format completely and install but
it gave the same error. I even changed out the DDR memory with different
brand and nothing changed. I am pretty convinced now that it is the
motherboard. I have built computers for over 10 years and this is the
first time this one ever happened to me. ha ha.

- Pavlov

Check out my pics!
http://www.neiu.edu/~akkoziol

Pavlov wrote:
>>> This one is a weird one. I boot XP from the Setup CD, run the
>>> installer, format full NTFS (not Quick Format), XP CD copies the
>>> setup files to C:, restarts and gives an error message of BOOT DISK
>>> ERROR - INSERT BOOT CD on 1st boot. BIOS setting for boot sequence
>>> is 1) Floppy, 2) Hard Drive 3) CDROM. If I allow it to detect the
>>> WinXP CD in the CDROM drive but not boot from it, it does boot from
>>> primary IDE1. Anyone have this problem? Any help would be
>>> appreciated. BIOS is at 8/10/04.
>>
>> Surely you should have the CDRom as second boot (or instead of)
>> the floppy drive? When the restart happens after the HDD has been
>> prepared, it still is not a working OS for any purpose.
>
> Thanks for your reply. Yep, I've tried switching off all other boot
> device options so that only the HD is selected as the 1st boot device
> but still nothing happens. It always says Boot Disk Error even if I
> remove ALL devices from the IDE1 channel and just have primary IDE1
> master attached. So to answer your question, after XP has prepared the
> HDD it is still not booting into a working OS. Last night I tried
> another HD that I allowed XP setup to format completely and install
> but it gave the same error. I even changed out the DDR memory with
> different brand and nothing changed. I am pretty convinced now that
> it is the motherboard. I have built computers for over 10 years and
> this is the first time this one ever happened to me. ha ha.

No, you mis-understand. You must continue to boot from the CDRom
until the installer tells you to remove the CD and boot from the HDD.

The computer needs to reboot so that the disc parameters can be
recorded by the BIOS after formating. But there isn't an OS there yet.

>No, you mis-understand. You must continue to boot from the CDRom
>until the installer tells you to remove the CD and boot from the HDD.
>
>The computer needs to reboot so that the disc parameters can be
>recorded by the BIOS after formating. But there isn't an OS there yet.

Graham,

Even if I run the setup all the way to the end of a fresh install of XP
(windows desktop) with CD enabled in the BIOS or not, it still will not
boot off the primary IDE drive. If you dump a fresh install of XP onto
an HD that is recognized in the BIOS already, it doesn't have anything
more to do with the BIOS. Are you referring to the MBR? XP setup and
BIOS parameters are mutually exclusive my friend. In any case, I have
determined it to be a defective motherboard and will harass Epox for a
replacement. Thanks for your help.

- Pavlov

Check out my pics!
http://www.neiu.edu/~akkoziol