DOOM 3, no support for gaming laptops

fifthacedk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2004
Well, after shelling out to buy Doom 3 I thought I'd be playing game of the year...

Turns out that the minimum hardware requirements state that the following cards are supported:

ATI® Radeon 8500
ATI® Radeon 9000
ATI® Radeon 9200
ATI® Radeon 9500
ATI® Radeon 9600
ATI® Radeon 9700
ATI® Radeon 9800
All Nvidia® GeForce 3/Ti series
All Nvidia® GeForce 4MX series
All Nvidia® GeForce 4/Ti series
All Nvidia® GeForce FX series
Nvidia® GeForce 6800 series

Anthony Saunders from Activision told me that if any of those cards sit in a laptop, in the form of Nvidia's "go" series or ATI's laptop cards, they shouldn't be able to run Doom 3 due to lack of power, (and I quote him) "even if it shares the same designation as its fully featured equivalent".

Well, I don't buy the power thing, because my 2.2GHz P4 and GeforceFX go5600 runs GTA:Vice City at 1600x1200 with anti-aliasing x2 no problem. I also get 30fps with Halo at 800x600 and 30fps with Far Cry at 1024x768... Surely I could run Doom 3 at 640x480 in low detail?!?!

I got fobbed off with a whole load of excuses throughout my support from them, after they agreed that I had all the latest drivers and directx they simply said it won't run on any laptop graphics cards as they never bothered making sure they would.

Anyways, surely "All Nvidia® GeForce FX series" encompasses a Nvidia® GeForce FX go5600?

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I doubt it cant run it but its probably not supported. By not supported they probably mean they dont offer tech support for laptops because of different manufacturer drivers and the same cards in different laptops are clocked differently. If a geforce 4 mx can run doom 3 I think most modern laptop graphics card will be able to handle it, especially the new 9700 because its shown in benches its as fast as a 9600 pro on a similiar desktop.

-----------------------
oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!