EP-4SGM8I sound problems

I've had lots of problems with this mobo (Built into machine when I
bought it) and although I've flashed bios a couple of times I've
always put it back as it was as it seemed to make things worse if
anything.

Anyway the main problem I'm having is with sound. even on low volumes
there's a fair bit of distortion and recording on my tv card sounds
awful. Is this a case of a driver needing updated or am I going to
have to buy a separate sound card or such? I don't use the 6 channel,
just 2 channel normal sound with a pair of old speakers which have
always sounded fine on other machines

All sound is rather like listening to a cheap radio
--
Paul (I got the horrors cos I'm one inch tall)
Stop and Look

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've had lots of problems with this mobo (Built into machine when I
> bought it) and although I've flashed bios a couple of times I've
> always put it back as it was as it seemed to make things worse if
> anything.
>
> Anyway the main problem I'm having is with sound. even on low volumes
> there's a fair bit of distortion and recording on my tv card sounds
> awful. Is this a case of a driver needing updated or am I going to
> have to buy a separate sound card or such? I don't use the 6 channel,
> just 2 channel normal sound with a pair of old speakers which have
> always sounded fine on other machines
>
> All sound is rather like listening to a cheap radio

Have you tried a pair of headphones instead of the speakers?
I presume that the Windows system sounds are poor too?

Graham W wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I've had lots of problems with this mobo (Built into machine when I
> > bought it) and although I've flashed bios a couple of times I've
> > always put it back as it was as it seemed to make things worse if
> > anything.
> >
> > Anyway the main problem I'm having is with sound. even on low volumes
> > there's a fair bit of distortion and recording on my tv card sounds
> > awful. Is this a case of a driver needing updated or am I going to
> > have to buy a separate sound card or such? I don't use the 6 channel,
> > just 2 channel normal sound with a pair of old speakers which have
> > always sounded fine on other machines
> >
> > All sound is rather like listening to a cheap radio
>
> Have you tried a pair of headphones instead of the speakers?
> I presume that the Windows system sounds are poor too?
>
> --
Sorry Graham, I should have made msyelf clearer (one of the many
problems I have) ALL sound is a mess. i use headphones plugged into
the speakers... did you mean just plug them into the socket alone?

--

> Graham W wrote:
> >
> > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > I've had lots of problems with this mobo (Built into machine when I
> > > bought it) and although I've flashed bios a couple of times I've
> > > always put it back as it was as it seemed to make things worse if
> > > anything.
> > >
> > > Anyway the main problem I'm having is with sound. even on low
volumes
> > > there's a fair bit of distortion and recording on my tv card sounds
> > > awful. Is this a case of a driver needing updated or am I going to
> > > have to buy a separate sound card or such? I don't use the 6
channel,
> > > just 2 channel normal sound with a pair of old speakers which have
> > > always sounded fine on other machines
> > >
> > > All sound is rather like listening to a cheap radio
> >
> > Have you tried a pair of headphones instead of the speakers?
> > I presume that the Windows system sounds are poor too?
> >
> > --
> Sorry Graham, I should have made msyelf clearer (one of the many
> problems I have) ALL sound is a mess. i use headphones plugged into
> the speakers... did you mean just plug them into the socket alone?

Yes, the latter. There are several places that distortion can occur and
one of them is the powered speakers. So if you plug the head phones
into the computer and check the sound there you can eliminate the
speakers.

Usually bad sound is down to mismatched drive levels between
audio sections. Always run the speakers with their volume turned
fairly well up and set the computer Master Volume down to get the
right level from the speakers.

Put an audio CD in the CDRom drive and start it off. Turn the
edge-wheel to minimum and plug the speakers lead into the front
headphone jack on the front of the CDRom drive. Turn the edge
wheel up to get sufficient sound. How does that sound?

Graham W wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Graham W wrote:
> > >
> > > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> volumes
> channel,

> > > Have you tried a pair of headphones instead of the speakers?
> > > I presume that the Windows system sounds are poor too?
> > >
> > > --
> > Sorry Graham, I should have made msyelf clearer (one of the many
> > problems I have) ALL sound is a mess. i use headphones plugged into
> > the speakers... did you mean just plug them into the socket alone?
>
> Yes, the latter. There are several places that distortion can occur and
> one of them is the powered speakers. So if you plug the head phones
> into the computer and check the sound there you can eliminate the
> speakers.
>
> Usually bad sound is down to mismatched drive levels between
> audio sections. Always run the speakers with their volume turned
> fairly well up and set the computer Master Volume down to get the
> right level from the speakers.
>
> Put an audio CD in the CDRom drive and start it off. Turn the
> edge-wheel to minimum and plug the speakers lead into the front
> headphone jack on the front of the CDRom drive. Turn the edge
> wheel up to get sufficient sound. How does that sound?

I tried plugging headphones into front panel on machine... VERY loud
and tiny but not a lot of distortion... then again, no bass either so
nothing to give it depth. I didn't try messing with it. The sockets on
the cd drives are hidden as it has one of thos fancy panels with
flaps.

The speakers are very sensitive, always have been, the volume has to
be quite low and they get loud very quickly. The one thing i did
notice is the sound will go off or unbalanced if I move anything
around inside the machine (inserting new drives or anything), and I
will have to remove the plug for the speakers and plug them back in
again.
--
Paul (I got the horrors cos I'm one inch tall)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've had lots of problems with this mobo (Built into machine when I
> bought it) and although I've flashed bios a couple of times I've
> always put it back as it was as it seemed to make things worse if
> anything.
>
> Anyway the main problem I'm having is with sound. even on low volumes
> there's a fair bit of distortion and recording on my tv card sounds
> awful. Is this a case of a driver needing updated or am I going to
> have to buy a separate sound card or such? I don't use the 6 channel,
> just 2 channel normal sound with a pair of old speakers which have
> always sounded fine on other machines
>
> All sound is rather like listening to a cheap radio

Could be interference from the power supply or monitor. I've had both cause
sound problems just before failure.

Ted wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I've had lots of problems with this mobo (Built into machine when I
> > bought it) and although I've flashed bios a couple of times I've
> > always put it back as it was as it seemed to make things worse if
> > anything.
> >
> > Anyway the main problem I'm having is with sound. even on low volumes
> > there's a fair bit of distortion and recording on my tv card sounds
> > awful. Is this a case of a driver needing updated or am I going to
> > have to buy a separate sound card or such? I don't use the 6 channel,
> > just 2 channel normal sound with a pair of old speakers which have
> > always sounded fine on other machines
> >
> > All sound is rather like listening to a cheap radio
>
> Could be interference from the power supply or monitor. I've had both cause
> sound problems just before failure.

Jees, this gets better and better. It's not a very old machine but I'm
reluctant to call up the makers as they'll drag it away for at least
ten days, then it'll probably come back worse than before.
--

Paul Heslop wrote:
> Graham W wrote:
>>
>> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Sorry Graham, I should have made msyelf clearer (one of the many
>>> problems I have) ALL sound is a mess. i use headphones plugged into
>>> the speakers... did you mean just plug them into the socket alone?
>>
>> Yes, the latter. There are several places that distortion can occur
>> and one of them is the powered speakers. So if you plug the head
>> phones
>> into the computer and check the sound there you can eliminate the
>> speakers.
>>
>> Usually bad sound is down to mismatched drive levels between
>> audio sections. Always run the speakers with their volume turned
>> fairly well up and set the computer Master Volume down to get the
>> right level from the speakers.
>>
>> Put an audio CD in the CDRom drive and start it off. Turn the
>> edge-wheel to minimum and plug the speakers lead into the front
>> headphone jack on the front of the CDRom drive. Turn the edge
>> wheel up to get sufficient sound. How does that sound?
>>
> I tried plugging headphones into front panel on machine... VERY loud
> and tiny but not a lot of distortion... then again, no bass either so
> nothing to give it depth. I didn't try messing with it. The sockets on
> the cd drives are hidden as it has one of thos fancy panels with
> flaps.
>
> The speakers are very sensitive, always have been, the volume has to
> be quite low and they get loud very quickly.

That is what I was on about! It is possible that your speaker input
circuits are being overdriven by the computer.

So turn the 'Master Volume' down on the computer to reduce the drive
and turn up the volume control on the speakers to get a comfortable
listening level.

x"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

<snipped for brevity>

> The speakers are very sensitive, always have been, the volume has to
> be quite low and they get loud very quickly. The one thing i did
> notice is the sound will go off or unbalanced if I move anything
> around inside the machine (inserting new drives or anything), and I
> will have to remove the plug for the speakers and plug them back in
> again.

Hmm...sounds like it's one of a couple of things:

1.) Be sure you have the plug for the speakers plugged *firmly* in the jack.
Quite often, some of these jacks are tight and when it seems like the
speakers are plugged in all the way, they're not.
2.) You have a poor connection which is either the speaker plug (gunk on the
plug itself or a broken wire inside the dialectric <insulation>), or more
likely, the pins on the inside of the jack aren't making good contact. If
that's the case, call the mfr. and strongly suggest they replace the
motherboard...or you can spend a couple of bucks and buy a sound card,
disabling the on-board sound in the BIOS.

hth.

--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

Graham W wrote:

> That is what I was on about! It is possible that your speaker input
> circuits are being overdriven by the computer.
>
> So turn the 'Master Volume' down on the computer to reduce the drive
> and turn up the volume control on the speakers to get a comfortable
> listening level.
>
> --
Well, I've been messing, I still hear a little distortion on bassy
notes and they're not as deep as I like but it's better

--

"R. J. Salvi" wrote:

> Hmm...sounds like it's one of a couple of things:
>
> 1.) Be sure you have the plug for the speakers plugged *firmly* in the jack.
> Quite often, some of these jacks are tight and when it seems like the
> speakers are plugged in all the way, they're not.
> 2.) You have a poor connection which is either the speaker plug (gunk on the
> plug itself or a broken wire inside the dialectric <insulation>), or more
> likely, the pins on the inside of the jack aren't making good contact. If
> that's the case, call the mfr. and strongly suggest they replace the
> motherboard...or you can spend a couple of bucks and buy a sound card,
> disabling the on-board sound in the BIOS.
>
> hth.
>
> --
It has a minimum ten day turn around for the manufacturer, which is
why I'm reluctant... I asked them for a replacement fascia as their
delivery guy dented this one, twice I asked, twice I was assured it
was on its way... still waiting.

I think the jack itself is dodgy, I guess I should try plugging the
headphones into that socket and see what happens