USB Flash

I have a flash disk that shows as a mass storage device wit an exclamation
mark in other devices, complaining of missing drivers. Other xp machines
have never required a separate driver. Disk Management doesn't see it. All
USB ports function fine with other devices. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
--
Wayne f
7 answers Last reply

    Right click on it, click Uninstall, then reboot. Then unplug while the
    computer is booting up, then plug it back in once Windows has loaded. If
    it still doesn't work, try this:

    Disconnect the devices and open the Registry Editor (Start-Run-regedit).
    Navigate to HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\USB and look for the folder
    containing information about the problematic devices. Now right click
    on the folder labeled Vid_Xxxx that contains the information about the
    problematic devices and click Permission. Allow full control of the
    key, then right click on it and delete it. Now reboot and try again.

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Waynef wrote:
    > I have a flash disk that shows as a mass storage device wit an exclamation
    > mark in other devices, complaining of missing drivers. Other xp machines
    > have never required a separate driver. Disk Management doesn't see it. All
    > USB ports function fine with other devices. Can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Thanks for the quick reply!

    I tried both techniques, but still the same. Since xp sees it as a mass
    storage device but can't find drivers, is there a standard driver that I can
    give it to make it happy? My pc is a Vaio. Do they not provide all of the
    drivers?

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Right click on it, click Uninstall, then reboot. Then unplug while the
    > computer is booting up, then plug it back in once Windows has loaded. If
    > it still doesn't work, try this:
    >
    > Disconnect the devices and open the Registry Editor (Start-Run-regedit).
    > Navigate to HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\USB and look for the folder
    > containing information about the problematic devices. Now right click
    > on the folder labeled Vid_Xxxx that contains the information about the
    > problematic devices and click Permission. Allow full control of the
    > key, then right click on it and delete it. Now reboot and try again.
    >
    > -----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > Waynef wrote:
    > > I have a flash disk that shows as a mass storage device wit an exclamation
    > > mark in other devices, complaining of missing drivers. Other xp machines
    > > have never required a separate driver. Disk Management doesn't see it. All
    > > USB ports function fine with other devices. Can anyone help?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

    Waynef - I have the same problem with multiple USB devices (a flash drive and
    digital camera) with a Vaio as well. If you get this figured out, would you
    please let me know what your solution was?!

    It seems like the WinXP that came with my Vaio is missing important USB
    drivers...

    Thanks,
    PS

    "Waynef" wrote:

    > Thanks for the quick reply!
    >
    > I tried both techniques, but still the same. Since xp sees it as a mass
    > storage device but can't find drivers, is there a standard driver that I can
    > give it to make it happy? My pc is a Vaio. Do they not provide all of the
    > drivers?

    If you have a laptop, your USB ports may not be fully
    supported with five wires and thus may not work with some
    devices.
    Check the manual for your model to see what is supported.

    "PS_in_WA" <PS_in_WA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | Waynef - I have the same problem with multiple USB devices
    (a flash drive and
    | digital camera) with a Vaio as well. If you get this
    figured out, would you
    | please let me know what your solution was?!
    |
    | It seems like the WinXP that came with my Vaio is missing
    important USB
    | drivers...
    |
    | Thanks,
    | PS
    |
    | "Waynef" wrote:
    |
    | > Thanks for the quick reply!
    | >
    | > I tried both techniques, but still the same. Since xp
    sees it as a mass
    | > storage device but can't find drivers, is there a
    standard driver that I can
    | > give it to make it happy? My pc is a Vaio. Do they not
    provide all of the
    | > drivers?

    This is a one year old desktop. The USB ports seem to work with everything
    else that i've tried,; USB HD, smartmedia reader, etc., all without requiring
    drivers...very strange!

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > If you have a laptop, your USB ports may not be fully
    > supported with five wires and thus may not work with some
    > devices.
    > Check the manual for your model to see what is supported.

    > "PS_in_WA" <PS_in_WA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | Waynef - I have the same problem with multiple USB devices
    > (a flash drive and
    > | digital camera) with a Vaio as well. If you get this
    > figured out, would you
    > | please let me know what your solution was?!
    > |
    > | It seems like the WinXP that came with my Vaio is missing
    > important USB
    > | drivers...
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > | PS
    > |
    > | "Waynef" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Thanks for the quick reply!
    > | >
    > | > I tried both techniques, but still the same. Since xp
    > sees it as a mass
    > | > storage device but can't find drivers, is there a
    > standard driver that I can
    > | > give it to make it happy? My pc is a Vaio. Do they not
    > provide all of the
    > | > drivers?

    Two things come to mind, Your Flash reader or the card
    could be defective OR as I said, the port may not have all
    the wires required to run the device. It may not be a
    matter of drivers, it could defective hardware or no
    hardware support.

    Have you looked inside the case to be sure all the wires are
    connected if the port is not on the mobo?

    "Waynef" <Waynef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | This is a one year old desktop. The USB ports seem to
    work with everything
    | else that i've tried,; USB HD, smartmedia reader, etc.,
    all without requiring
    | drivers...very strange!
    |
    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > If you have a laptop, your USB ports may not be fully
    | > supported with five wires and thus may not work with
    some
    | > devices.
    | > Check the manual for your model to see what is
    supported.

    | > --
    | >

    | > "PS_in_WA" <PS_in_WA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    | > message

    | > | Waynef - I have the same problem with multiple USB
    devices
    | > (a flash drive and
    | > | digital camera) with a Vaio as well. If you get this
    | > figured out, would you
    | > | please let me know what your solution was?!
    | > |
    | > | It seems like the WinXP that came with my Vaio is
    missing
    | > important USB
    | > | drivers...
    | > |
    | > | Thanks,
    | > | PS
    | > |
    | > | "Waynef" wrote:
    | > |

    | > sees it as a mass
    | > standard driver that I can
    | > provide all of the

    I just had a similar problem with my usb sticks. After a few tries I did the
    following and now everything works fine.
    I installed the update (WindowsXP-KB822603-x86-ENU) then rebooted.
    Installed the usb storage stick in the USB hub. Uninstall the device from
    device manager then scan for new devices. The driver usbstor.sys gets
    installed fine and should be version 5.1.2600.1100

USB Flash Devices Windows XP