Controlling Internet Access on a Home Network

Hi, hope someone can offer some advice. I have installed a small home
network which includes our home desktop PC and two wireless laptops (kids).
Is there some way that I can easily modify or limit internet access from the
laptops when the kids are playing up - it's the only thing left to use as a
sanction!! The way it is set up (hopefully normal) is that the router can be
accessed even when the main PC is off (only needs to be on to share printer
etc). Thus far I can only turn off the ADSL router which stops all access,
which I do not want to do.

Thanks for any help.
4 answers Last reply
More about controlling internet access home network

    It depends on your router. You may be able to filter by MAC. On my Linksys
    DI-614+ I have this option but it would to be configured each time I wanted
    to deny a certain PC access and then again to allow access. A bit of work
    but it could be done.

    Kerry Brown
    KDB Systems

    "wirelessbeginner" <wirelessbeginner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:94BB3D93-3C62-494C-BC9D-DC79CA2AC747@microsoft.com...
    > Hi, hope someone can offer some advice. I have installed a small home
    > network which includes our home desktop PC and two wireless laptops
    > (kids).
    > Is there some way that I can easily modify or limit internet access from
    > the
    > laptops when the kids are playing up - it's the only thing left to use as
    > sanction!! The way it is set up (hopefully normal) is that the router can
    > be
    > accessed even when the main PC is off (only needs to be on to share
    > printer
    > etc). Thus far I can only turn off the ADSL router which stops all
    > access,
    > which I do not want to do.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Hi,
    Who is your ISP provider, sbc? do you have a 2wire home portal?

    "wirelessbeginner" wrote:

    > Hi, hope someone can offer some advice. I have installed a small home
    > network which includes our home desktop PC and two wireless laptops (kids).
    > Is there some way that I can easily modify or limit internet access from the
    > laptops when the kids are playing up - it's the only thing left to use as a
    > sanction!! The way it is set up (hopefully normal) is that the router can be
    > accessed even when the main PC is off (only needs to be on to share printer
    > etc). Thus far I can only turn off the ADSL router which stops all access,
    > which I do not want to do.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Don't think I have a 2wire home portal. The router is BT Voyager 2000
    wireless ADSL router. Service provider is BT.

    wirelessbeginner wrote:
    > Hi, hope someone can offer some advice. I have installed a small home
    > network which includes our home desktop PC and two wireless laptops (kids).
    > Is there some way that I can easily modify or limit internet access from the
    > laptops when the kids are playing up - it's the only thing left to use as a
    > sanction!! The way it is set up (hopefully normal) is that the router can be
    > accessed even when the main PC is off (only needs to be on to share printer
    > etc). Thus far I can only turn off the ADSL router which stops all access,
    > which I do not want to do.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    I use an Internet filter called Content Watch which costs about $20 for
    the basic version which can be installed on up to 3 computers. It will
    filter out porn or anything you want as an administrator. You can limit
    internet access based on time of day for any day of the week or deny
    internet accesss by checking a check box. No filter programs are perfect
    but I have tried a few and this is the best yet.

Internet Access Wireless Wireless Networking