Sign in with
Your question

Portable Disk Image Mounting Software?

Last response: in Windows 7
February 2, 2011 7:33:55 PM

Hello, all :) 

I am wondering, is there any portable disc mounting software that is compatible with Windows 7 (as well as XP and Vista)? What I mean by "portable" is that it can be unzipped to a location on the network and can be run from a computer without it actually requiring installation on that computer.

I work in an IT department and there is some software that requires a disc, rather than just running the installation from a file on the network, so figured we could try this type of thing for installing programs on computers.

Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
February 2, 2011 9:03:43 PM

Don't think so, the only way I can think of doing this, would to install something like daemon tools lite on a server, then use batch files to issue command lines to mount/dismount the image to a shared drive letter and then installed from that.
February 2, 2011 9:23:35 PM

ElectroGoofy said:
Hello, all :) 

I am wondering, is there any portable disc mounting software that is compatible with Windows 7 (as well as XP and Vista)? What I mean by "portable" is that it can be unzipped to a location on the network and can be run from a computer without it actually requiring installation on that computer.

I work in an IT department and there is some software that requires a disc, rather than just running the installation from a file on the network, so figured we could try this type of thing for installing programs on computers.

Thanks!

Does the software need a physical drive i.e. by checking that it is a physical drive ? If not then the DOS SUBST command might help out. E.G

Subst m: \\server\share - create a virtual drive
M:\application.exe - run the program
subst M: /d - deletes the virtual drive

Works on XP, Vista and Win 7
Related resources
February 3, 2011 12:36:51 PM

Acronis can be booted from a USB key and run without install. Imaging involves a reboot. If you have a Western Digital HDD anywhere in your system, you can get the fairly capable free edition from the WD web site.
!