USB 2.0 Problems EP-8RGMI

I've been using this board for a year or so and its been great, but I've
been doing a rebuild in a new case and I'm having probelsm with USB 2.0.

Format HD and install XP Pro - no problems. Then install device/chipset
drivers and all is well. Last device left unknown is USB host controller
so install SP1 and it's found OK - the Enhanced USB controller.

Everything seems well until you reboot and then it hangs during XP boot
after the logo screen but before the blue welcome screen. Monitor does
not go into power save and there is occasional HD activity but it never
comes back. But if you reset and disable USB 2 support in the BIOS it
boots fine. Re-enable USB 2 and it hangs one again.

I've tried installing SP1 first after XP and all other drivers
afterwards but the effect is the same. I've flashed with the latest
BIOS. Messing with USB compatibility in the BIOS makes no difference
either. Has anyone else seen something like this before?

BTW There are no USB devices connected. M/C specs are: EP-8RGMI using
onboard Geforce 4, Athlon XP 2200, 2x256Mb PC2100 DDR RAM, 400w PSU,
80gb HD.

Thanks

>I've been using this board for a year or so and its been great, but I've
> been doing a rebuild in a new case and I'm having probelsm with USB 2.0.
>
>Format HD and install XP Pro - no problems. Then install device/chipset
>drivers and all is well. Last device left unknown is USB host controller
>so install SP1 and it's found OK - the Enhanced USB controller.
>
>Everything seems well until you reboot and then it hangs during XP boot
>after the logo screen but before the blue welcome screen. Monitor does
>not go into power save and there is occasional HD activity but it never
>comes back. But if you reset and disable USB 2 support in the BIOS it
>boots fine. Re-enable USB 2 and it hangs one again.
>
>I've tried installing SP1 first after XP and all other drivers
>afterwards but the effect is the same. I've flashed with the latest
>BIOS. Messing with USB compatibility in the BIOS makes no difference
>either. Has anyone else seen something like this before?
>
>BTW There are no USB devices connected. M/C specs are: EP-8RGMI using
>onboard Geforce 4, Athlon XP 2200, 2x256Mb PC2100 DDR RAM, 400w PSU,
>80gb HD.

Hi,

Have you tried installing SP2 and flashing up your BIOS to the most
current? According to Epox, you need to pull the USB 2.0 support driver
from Windows Update.

- Pavlov

Check out my pics!
http://www.neiu.edu/~akkoziol