Dead Epox 8RDA+

My backup computer recently died. Supposedly the machine locked up while
sitting idle. Upon restart the system did not boot.

The machine has power and no beep codes, but hangs in variable places during
boot up. A jumper reset and popping the battery did nothing.

I figure its either bad ram or the onboard video died, but I can't really
test either at this time.

Any suggestions as to what else it could be, so that I can prepare to look
at it when I can?
-Phil

"Philburg2" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> My backup computer recently died. Supposedly the machine locked up while
> sitting idle. Upon restart the system did not boot.
>
> The machine has power and no beep codes, but hangs in variable places
during
> boot up. A jumper reset and popping the battery did nothing.
>
> I figure its either bad ram or the onboard video died, but I can't really
> test either at this time.
>
> Any suggestions as to what else it could be, so that I can prepare to look
> at it when I can?

Does the board have a $80 output LED, so that you may concentrate on the
item it fails on?

A system that fails at different places implies electrical failure, such as
the RAM modules, or a short in the mobo or CPU failure.

You can easily rule out the onboard video if you get an image on the
monitor. Failing any clues, you must start at the foundation...check PSU,
check mobo and psu, check mobo and psu and cpu (as a unit), then add
ram...etc. Do all of this outside the case to eliminate any environmental
influence (shorts, RFI...)

I tried to state that its kinda random where it fails in the post. One time
its C7, another its F8. Even if it was consistent, the manual is less than
descriptive in what might be wrong.

"Friendly Guru" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Philburg2" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> My backup computer recently died. Supposedly the machine locked up while
>> sitting idle. Upon restart the system did not boot.
>>
>> The machine has power and no beep codes, but hangs in variable places
> during
>> boot up. A jumper reset and popping the battery did nothing.
>>
>> I figure its either bad ram or the onboard video died, but I can't really
>> test either at this time.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to what else it could be, so that I can prepare to
>> look
>> at it when I can?
>

> Does the board have a $80 output LED, so that you may concentrate on the
> item it fails on?
>
> A system that fails at different places implies electrical failure, such
> as
> the RAM modules, or a short in the mobo or CPU failure.
>
> You can easily rule out the onboard video if you get an image on the
> monitor. Failing any clues, you must start at the foundation...check PSU,
> check mobo and psu, check mobo and psu and cpu (as a unit), then add
> ram...etc. Do all of this outside the case to eliminate any environmental
> influence (shorts, RFI...)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 04:26:40 GMT, "Philburg2"
<philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I tried to state that its kinda random where it fails in the post. One time
>its C7, another its F8. Even if it was consistent, the manual is less than
>descriptive in what might be wrong.
>
>"Friendly Guru" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Philburg2" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> My backup computer recently died. Supposedly the machine locked up while
>>> sitting idle. Upon restart the system did not boot.
>>>
>>> The machine has power and no beep codes, but hangs in variable places
>> during
>>> boot up. A jumper reset and popping the battery did nothing.
>>>
>>> I figure its either bad ram or the onboard video died, but I can't really
>>> test either at this time.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions as to what else it could be, so that I can prepare to
>>> look
>>> at it when I can?
>>

>> Does the board have a $80 output LED, so that you may concentrate on the
>> item it fails on?
>>
>> A system that fails at different places implies electrical failure, such
>> as
>> the RAM modules, or a short in the mobo or CPU failure.
>>
>> You can easily rule out the onboard video if you get an image on the
>> monitor. Failing any clues, you must start at the foundation...check PSU,
>> check mobo and psu, check mobo and psu and cpu (as a unit), then add
>> ram...etc. Do all of this outside the case to eliminate any environmental
>> influence (shorts, RFI...)

I did not know the 8RDA+ had onboard video.

You might want to check the board for leaking capacitors.
The 8RDA+'s produced in the end of 2003/beginning on 2004 seem to be
'ripe'.
Google for 'leaking caps' to get some pictures of examples what a
leaking capacitor looks like.

Peter

Honestly I may be mistaken with the board model. I don't have the info with
me, but its an nforce 2 board with 400 fsb support and onboard video. Its a
weird version that takes a while to dig up on the site. I didn't notice
anything obviously wrong with the caps, but I can double check later.
-Phil

Philburg2 wrote:

> Honestly I may be mistaken with the board model. I don't have the info with
> me, but its an nforce 2 board with 400 fsb support and onboard video. Its a
> weird version that takes a while to dig up on the site. I didn't notice
> anything obviously wrong with the caps, but I can double check later.
> -Phil
8RDA+ don't have onboard video. You have it confused with 8RGA+.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004

I had similar problems with my 8RDA+

During a case switch I noticed a few "bulging" electrolytic caps ( 1000 and
1500uF if my memory seves me right.)on the board between the AGP and memory
slots
so I replaced them and "voila" no more problems!!!!!

Y'all might like to check your "caps" just in case!

I thought this caps problem would had passed when I bought the 8RDA+ .

HTH,

nightlight

"Philburg2" <philburg2@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> My backup computer recently died. Supposedly the machine locked up while
> sitting idle. Upon restart the system did not boot.
>
> The machine has power and no beep codes, but hangs in variable places
> during boot up. A jumper reset and popping the battery did nothing.
>
> I figure its either bad ram or the onboard video died, but I can't really
> test either at this time.
>
> Any suggestions as to what else it could be, so that I can prepare to look
> at it when I can?
> -Phil

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004

> I had similar problems with my 8RDA+
>
> During a case switch I noticed a few "bulging" electrolytic caps ( 1000
and
> 1500uF if my memory seves me right.)on the board between the AGP and
memory
> slots
> so I replaced them and "voila" no more problems!!!!!

Where can you buy new caps? any local hardware store?

I assume you just unsoldier the cap and soldiered the new ones back on?

Cheers
Michael

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:23:16 GMT, "Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com>
wrote:

>> I had similar problems with my 8RDA+
>>
>> During a case switch I noticed a few "bulging" electrolytic caps ( 1000
>and
>> 1500uF if my memory seves me right.)on the board between the AGP and
>memory
>> slots
>> so I replaced them and "voila" no more problems!!!!!
>
>Where can you buy new caps? any local hardware store?

Hehe, hardware store? Not caps. More like a hardware store.

I bought the ones I needed online from Mouser electronics. You should
buy the low impedence ones (low ESR). The 4 2200uf caps near the
power supply were the ones that went bad on mine. All the others were
fine.

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&D=*Nichicon*%2b*2200uf*%2b*10v*&terms=Nichicon+2200uf+10v&Ntt=*Nichicon*%2b*2200uf*%2b*10v*&Dk=1&Ns=MfgrPartNumber%7c%7cSField&N=0&crc=false

Mouser Part #: 647-UHE1A222MPD Page 471
Mfr. Part #: UHE1A222MPD Data Sheet
Mfr: Nichicon
Category: Low Impedance Electrolytic Capacitors
Capacitors - 105 Degree 10V 2200uF

>I assume you just unsoldier the cap and soldiered the new ones back on?

The ground plane unsolders easily but the positive plane is really
thick and you need a lot of heat. I had access to a desoldering
station so it was easy for me but I would think twice about it if you
don't. I have heard people having success with two soldering irons
and preheating the board first. It's not as easy as it sounds.

>Cheers
>Michael

MT

Sharp wrote:
>> I had similar problems with my 8RDA+
>>
>> During a case switch I noticed a few "bulging" electrolytic caps (
>> 1000 and 1500uF if my memory seves me right.)on the board between
>> the AGP and memory slots
>> so I replaced them and "voila" no more problems!!!!!
>
> Where can you buy new caps? any local hardware store?

You need to use the same type of low ESR, high temperature caps.

> I assume you just unsoldier the cap and soldiered the new ones back
> on?

Yes - after cleaning the caustic electrolyte off the PCB and then
thoroughly
drying before fitting the new ones through the plated-through-holes
and soldering.

Oh wow, damn, sounds like fun.

Anyways, an update on the situation is that I couldn't see any obvious
leakage or bulging caps, so I think the onboard went or maybe the ram. I
always questioned that ram anyways. I'll post an update if I can get it
fixed over Christmas break.

"Michael Thomas" <mtNOSPAMMING@armory.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:23:16 GMT, "Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> I had similar problems with my 8RDA+
>>>
>>> During a case switch I noticed a few "bulging" electrolytic caps ( 1000
>>and
>>> 1500uF if my memory seves me right.)on the board between the AGP and
>>memory
>>> slots
>>> so I replaced them and "voila" no more problems!!!!!
>>
>>Where can you buy new caps? any local hardware store?
>
> Hehe, hardware store? Not caps. More like a hardware store.
>
> I bought the ones I needed online from Mouser electronics. You should
> buy the low impedence ones (low ESR). The 4 2200uf caps near the
> power supply were the ones that went bad on mine. All the others were
> fine.
>
> http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&handler=data.listcategory&D=*Nichicon*%2b*2200uf*%2b*10v*&terms=Nichicon+2200uf+10v&Ntt=*Nichicon*%2b*2200uf*%2b*10v*&Dk=1&Ns=MfgrPartNumber%7c%7cSField&N=0&crc=false
>
> Mouser Part #: 647-UHE1A222MPD Page 471
> Mfr. Part #: UHE1A222MPD Data Sheet
> Mfr: Nichicon
> Category: Low Impedance Electrolytic Capacitors
> Capacitors - 105 Degree 10V 2200uF
>>
>>I assume you just unsoldier the cap and soldiered the new ones back on?
>>

> The ground plane unsolders easily but the positive plane is really
> thick and you need a lot of heat. I had access to a desoldering
> station so it was easy for me but I would think twice about it if you
> don't. I have heard people having success with two soldering irons
> and preheating the board first. It's not as easy as it sounds.
>
>>Cheers
>>Michael
>>

> MT

Out of curiosity, any recommendations for a replacement?

I have an 8RDA+ with bulging capacitors and can't afford the downtime
to RMA the board, so I'm thinking about blowing a little money to
replace. I have an 8K9A7I in my HTPC, so I'm leaning that way in the
interest of standarization. (Don't need whiz-bang audio; will miss
the FireWire...)
--
"Learn all you can. Die smart."
- 1987, Anonymous chalk graffito

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:01:47 GMT, Shawn M. Winnie <smwinnie@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Out of curiosity, any recommendations for a replacement?
>
>I have an 8RDA+ with bulging capacitors and can't afford the downtime
>to RMA the board, so I'm thinking about blowing a little money to
>replace. I have an 8K9A7I in my HTPC, so I'm leaning that way in the
>interest of standarization. (Don't need whiz-bang audio; will miss
>the FireWire...)

I replaced mine with a Epox 8RDA3+ (firewire, s-ata, etc...), but it
looks like they're not available anymore. I found the stripped down
version (8RDA3I) at Newegg for 56 bucks (no firewire, s-ata, etc...).

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-208&depa=1

I'm very happy with the 8RDA3+, and used the repaired 8RDA, and the
1700+ pulled and replaced with a 2500+ barton, for my linux
firewall/router/web server/mail server box that resides in the closet.

MT