For Epox Tech: 8K9A2 vs. Sapphire Radeon x800 Pro

mauro

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Thanks for your attention.

I'm an Epox customer with a problem, apparently hard to solve and I'm asking
for a little help to identify it and search for a solution.
I've bought yesterday a brand new Sapphire Radeon x800 Pro to replace a 9800
Pro.
Every time I turn on the PC the system speaker warn me about an error (a
long beep or a long beep followed by two short, I cannot be more accurate
reporting it), the screen remains blank and boot will not procede. If I turn
off the PC via the main switch on the front panel and immediately turn it on
everything is OK and the video card works greatly.
This morning I've contacted the client support of the store where I bought
the x800 and a technician told me about a possible incompatibility between
the video card and the system board, suggesting me to update the bios or set
the AGP port to 4X instead 8X.
My 8k9a2 has tha latest bios release and I'm unable to lower the AGP port to
4X (the relative voice is locked in the bios setup).
With the 9800 I've never experienced any kind of problem and I wish to solve
this issue as soon as possible.

My PC:

- mobo Epox 8K9A2 with the last bios released on 13 August 2004
- CPU Athlon XP 2600+ (with 13× multiplier ---> CPU is detected as 2700+)
- 1 giga RAM (+0,20 volts)
- PSU Enermax 400/450 watts (I don't remember)
- RAID controller
- 3 hard disks
- 2 DVD burners
- Sound card Creative Audigy 2
- Network card
- USB 2 expansion card
- other mumbo-jumbo stuffs

Maybe the 13× multiplier (instead 12.5×) can have a bad influence on the AGP
slot? Will be available another release of the 8K9A2 to make it fullt
compatible with the X800 video card?

What can I do before I choose to take a shot in my head?

--
-

Mauro - ICQ 427762
Forum utenti Fastweb/Netsystem -> http://www.assitecforum.com
Il tabacco è causa di morte per 560 persone ogni ora e per un totale di
4,9 milioni di vittime all’anno nel mondo.

Mauro wrote:
> Thanks for your attention.
>
> I'm an Epox customer with a problem, apparently hard to solve and I'm
> asking for a little help to identify it and search for a solution.
> I've bought yesterday a brand new Sapphire Radeon x800 Pro to replace
> a 9800 Pro.
> Every time I turn on the PC the system speaker warn me about an error
> (a long beep or a long beep followed by two short, I cannot be more
> accurate reporting it), the screen remains blank and boot will not
> procede. If I turn off the PC via the main switch on the front panel
> and immediately turn it on everything is OK and the video card works
> greatly.
> This morning I've contacted the client support of the store where I
> bought the x800 and a technician told me about a possible
> incompatibility between the video card and the system board,
> suggesting me to update the bios or set the AGP port to 4X instead 8X.
> My 8k9a2 has tha latest bios release and I'm unable to lower the AGP
> port to 4X (the relative voice is locked in the bios setup).
> With the 9800 I've never experienced any kind of problem and I wish
> to solve this issue as soon as possible.
>
> My PC:
>
> - mobo Epox 8K9A2 with the last bios released on 13 August 2004
> - CPU Athlon XP 2600+ (with 13× multiplier ---> CPU is detected as
> 2700+)
> - 1 giga RAM (+0,20 volts)
> - PSU Enermax 400/450 watts (I don't remember)
> - RAID controller
> - 3 hard disks
> - 2 DVD burners
> - Sound card Creative Audigy 2
> - Network card
> - USB 2 expansion card
> - other mumbo-jumbo stuffs
>
> Maybe the 13× multiplier (instead 12.5×) can have a bad influence on
> the AGP slot? Will be available another release of the 8K9A2 to make
> it fullt compatible with the X800 video card?
>
> What can I do before I choose to take a shot in my head?

It sounds like your PSU just can't quite take the load. Can you try
another?

mauro

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

Graham W <graham@his.com.puter.INVALID> ha scritto:

> It sounds like your PSU just can't quite take the load. Can you try
> another?

It's so strange, the PSU unit is about 450 watts and I think it can regulary
take the load of my system...

--
-

Mauro - ICQ 427762
Forum utenti Fastweb/Netsystem -> http://www.assitecforum.com
Il tabacco è causa di morte per 560 persone ogni ora e per un totale di
4,9 milioni di vittime all’anno nel mondo.

Try removing and reseating the X800.

If it is a power problem, try disconnecting the DVDs and some of the hard
drives.
Then see if it still has the problem.

Check every single setting in the bios
Also turn off anything in the bios your not using, like Parallel ports,
serial ports, built in sound, power saving ?
Turn fast writes off.
Init Display First, should be set for AGP
What is the AGP aperture size, it should not be less then 32MBs, best
setting is 64MB or 128MB.
Is the AGP port sharing an IRQ with anything ?

Email Epox, their tech support might have a good guess on what the beeps are
trying to tell you.

Tod <no_spam_me@comcast.net> ha scritto:

> Try removing and reseating the X800.

I already did it several times, also cleaning the AGP contacts with a
specific spray cleaner.

> If it is a power problem, try disconnecting the DVDs and some of the
> hard drives.
> Then see if it still has the problem.

Maybe a solution; I'm planning to buy a new hard disk (min. 80 giga) to
replace two old hard disks and remove the raid controller.

> Check every single setting in the bios
> Also turn off anything in the bios your not using, like Parallel
> ports, serial ports, built in sound, power saving ?
> Turn fast writes off.
> Init Display First, should be set for AGP
> What is the AGP aperture size, it should not be less then 32MBs, best
> setting is 64MB or 128MB.
> Is the AGP port sharing an IRQ with anything ?

Most of the bios settings are the Epox defaults, excerpt the DDR timings and
multiplier (13× instead 12.5×); setting this last value to 12.5× in useless
as the problem persist. Init display is set on AGP, Fast Writes is off, AGP
aperture size is 256 mega (my X800 has 256 MB built in).
I have to check the IRQ sharing to verify an eventual fatal condivision, but
I suppose that this condivision could make my PC totally un-bootable every
time I switch on the power. Actually I'm writing from my PC and this means
that the PC is working.

> Email Epox, their tech support might have a good guess on what the
> beeps are trying to tell you.

I've also emailde to Epox and someone suggested me the following: "If the
board supports VAGP than you could try to increase that to 1.6v instead of
1.5V this often will help. Otherwise I would advise to try if another brand
of VGA card solves the problem or not".
This is the classical "suggestion for/from dummies"; if the Epox-man who
replied my email know the 8K9A2 is simple to discover that this board has
not a VAGP support (there's no similar voice in the bios setup). A simple
check of the user manual before to give useless suggestions is forbidden
from the doctor?
I also cannot try another brand of VGA card as the Radeon X800 don't grow on
trees and I've spent 420€ to buy my X800.

Sorry for my poor english...

--
-

Mauro - ICQ 427762
Forum utenti Fastweb/Netsystem -> http://www.assitecforum.com
Il tabacco è causa di morte per 560 persone ogni ora e per un totale di
4,9 milioni di vittime all’anno nel mondo.

With 256MBs memory on the card, you do not need a 256MB aperture setting.
Set aperture to 64MBs, even 32MBs, but no smaller

You might try clearing the bios, remove the power cord,
then switch the JBAT jumper for 30 seconds,
then replace the power cord, turn computer on, then reset everything in
bios.

> Tod <no_spam_me@comcast.net> ha scritto:
>
>> Try removing and reseating the X800.
>
> I already did it several times, also cleaning the AGP contacts with a
> specific spray cleaner.
>

>> If it is a power problem, try disconnecting the DVDs and some of the
>> hard drives.
>> Then see if it still has the problem.
>
> Maybe a solution; I'm planning to buy a new hard disk (min. 80 giga) to
> replace two old hard disks and remove the raid controller.
>

>> Check every single setting in the bios
>> Also turn off anything in the bios your not using, like Parallel
>> ports, serial ports, built in sound, power saving ?
>> Turn fast writes off.
>> Init Display First, should be set for AGP
>> What is the AGP aperture size, it should not be less then 32MBs, best
>> setting is 64MB or 128MB.
>> Is the AGP port sharing an IRQ with anything ?
>
> Most of the bios settings are the Epox defaults, excerpt the DDR timings
> and multiplier (13× instead 12.5×); setting this last value to 12.5× in
> useless as the problem persist. Init display is set on AGP, Fast Writes is
> off, AGP aperture size is 256 mega (my X800 has 256 MB built in).
> I have to check the IRQ sharing to verify an eventual fatal condivision,
> but I suppose that this condivision could make my PC totally un-bootable
> every time I switch on the power. Actually I'm writing from my PC and this
> means that the PC is working.
>

>> Email Epox, their tech support might have a good guess on what the
>> beeps are trying to tell you.
>
> I've also emailde to Epox and someone suggested me the following: "If the
> board supports VAGP than you could try to increase that to 1.6v instead of
> 1.5V this often will help. Otherwise I would advise to try if another
> brand of VGA card solves the problem or not".
> This is the classical "suggestion for/from dummies"; if the Epox-man who
> replied my email know the 8K9A2 is simple to discover that this board has
> not a VAGP support (there's no similar voice in the bios setup). A simple
> check of the user manual before to give useless suggestions is forbidden
> from the doctor?
> I also cannot try another brand of VGA card as the Radeon X800 don't grow
> on trees and I've spent 420? to buy my X800.
>
> Sorry for my poor english...
>

> --
> -
>
> Mauro - ICQ 427762
> Forum utenti Fastweb/Netsystem -> http://www.assitecforum.com
> Il tabacco è causa di morte per 560 persone ogni ora e per un totale di
> 4,9 milioni di vittime all'anno nel mondo.

I think the suggestion for the power supply is a good one. Your P.S. may be
rated at 450 peak, but may only carry as little as 250 under load. my AMD
64 3200+ runs just fine on an Antec Tru-Power 350W, but didn't like my 400W
P.S.