Hard Drive Died

My external hard drive died. Could you recommend software I could use
to try to retrieve the lost data? Is it even possible to retrieve data
if I can't access the drive anymore?

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about hard drive died

    Hello

    Do a search on google.com and you will get answer's to what software
    you will need. Just do data recovery.

    Alvin

    ~ narnia ~ wrote:

    > My external hard drive died. Could you recommend software I could use
    > to try to retrieve the lost data? Is it even possible to retrieve data
    > if I can't access the drive anymore?
    >
    > Thanks.

    How did your drive die? No power to spin up the drive, not recognized in
    XP, etc? If it is the enclosure that is bad, you may be able to remove the
    physical hard drive (most use a standard 3.5" HDD) and place in in the
    computer as a second internal drive until you get your data off.

    "~ narnia ~" <narnia@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > My external hard drive died. Could you recommend software I could use
    > to try to retrieve the lost data? Is it even possible to retrieve data
    > if I can't access the drive anymore?
    >
    > Thanks.

    if you give more information on how your drive died, we will do our best
    to support you.
    If its a physical failure you will need to contact a technician, but if
    its a software level failure you can try to recover this data via a
    DataRecovery tool

    Regards

    --
    san-deep
    san-deep's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=560

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:27:12 -0400, "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote:

    >How did your drive die? No power to spin up the drive, not recognized in
    >XP, etc? If it is the enclosure that is bad, you may be able to remove the
    >physical hard drive (most use a standard 3.5" HDD) and place in in the
    >computer as a second internal drive until you get your data off.
    >

    >"~ narnia ~" <narnia@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> My external hard drive died. Could you recommend software I could use
    >> to try to retrieve the lost data? Is it even possible to retrieve data
    >> if I can't access the drive anymore?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    I'm using a Western Digital HD with a Dell Latitude laptop and a Dell
    Dimension PC, both with Windows XP Professional.

    I can see the HD in My Computer, but when I try to access it I only
    hear a dreaded clicking sound and can't open it.

    ~ narnia ~ wrote:

    <<snipped>>

    > I'm using a Western Digital HD with a Dell Latitude laptop and a Dell
    > Dimension PC, both with Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > I can see the HD in My Computer, but when I try to access it I only
    > hear a dreaded clicking sound and can't open it.

    Does not sound good...probably a physical crash. Data
    may or may not be retrievable, depending on whether or
    not there was damage to the hard drive platters. Need
    a professional diagnosis. Source files no longer present
    and no secondary backup?

    > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:27:12 -0400, "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote:
    >
    >>How did your drive die? No power to spin up the drive, not recognized in
    >>XP, etc? If it is the enclosure that is bad, you may be able to remove
    >>the
    >>physical hard drive (most use a standard 3.5" HDD) and place in in the
    >>computer as a second internal drive until you get your data off.
    >>

    >>"~ narnia ~" <narnia@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>> My external hard drive died. Could you recommend software I could use
    >>> to try to retrieve the lost data? Is it even possible to retrieve data
    >>> if I can't access the drive anymore?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>

    > I'm using a Western Digital HD with a Dell Latitude laptop and a Dell
    > Dimension PC, both with Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > I can see the HD in My Computer, but when I try to access it I only
    > hear a dreaded clicking sound and can't open it.

    If it's clicking, you need professional help. A data recovery company would
    have to take the drive apart in a clean room and replace parts as needed.
    Data is probably still there, but it's going to be expensive -- likely
    between $200 and $2000.

    Dreaded clicking sound is what the doctor would describe as Dead Drive.

    o recover this requires great skill and expertise.

    This can be 'bought' at a price; generally around US $250 per hard drive.

    Profession recovery services can sometimes manage to recover 100% of the
    data; of course this is relative to the nature and type of fault with the
    drive. It may just be a fault with the Hard drive on board controller card
    [visible on the underside when the drive is removed from the PC]; if so then
    it can be replaced and the data recovered [or you can pay for the replacement
    parts and labur and reuse the drive].

    Do a google for hard disk recovery services in your area.

    Here's one in Sydney Australia: just so that you know what service to look
    for.

    http://www.mbs.mq.edu.au/DataRecovery.html

    "~ narnia ~" wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:27:12 -0400, "LVTravel" <trash@dd.com> wrote:
    >
    > >How did your drive die? No power to spin up the drive, not recognized in
    > >XP, etc? If it is the enclosure that is bad, you may be able to remove the
    > >physical hard drive (most use a standard 3.5" HDD) and place in in the
    > >computer as a second internal drive until you get your data off.
    > >

    > >"~ narnia ~" <narnia@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > >> My external hard drive died. Could you recommend software I could use
    > >> to try to retrieve the lost data? Is it even possible to retrieve data
    > >> if I can't access the drive anymore?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.
    > >

    > I'm using a Western Digital HD with a Dell Latitude laptop and a Dell
    > Dimension PC, both with Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > I can see the HD in My Computer, but when I try to access it I only
    > hear a dreaded clicking sound and can't open it.

Hard Drives External Hard Drive Windows XP