Award Bios for Epox Board Needs Re-Flashing But...

Attention Experts:

I did a baddddddddd thing...My attempt at updating my bios went horribly wrong
when it stalled RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the update.I tried the "floppy" fix by
placing on it the flasher and bios update along with an autoexec file with the
suitable command to flash the bios that way, BUT to no avail. Now I'm guessing
my bios is still okay given the fact that "BootLock" on it has been activated.
The thing is while the floppy is booting I get the Award Flasher dialogue box
but no cursor where I can type in the *.bin file for the update. The keyboard
is inoperative (tried several).

I'm stuck and require the advice/service of an expert which I will gladly pay
for.

The board is as I say, an Epox: Model# ep-8rda3+ (revision 1.x)
(I'm told most all Asus boards are universal flashers)

Michael
sm66ca@aol.com
7 answers Last reply
More about award bios epox board flashing
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    You could contact Epox and ask them to send you a new bios chip (I did this
    before with Shuttle. They charged me $10). You would need to get a chip
    puller from Radio Shack. There is always the hot swap method but I never
    tried it.

    DaveL

    "Sm66ca" <sm66ca@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Attention Experts:
    >
    > I did a baddddddddd thing...My attempt at updating my bios went horribly
    wrong
    > when it stalled RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the update.I tried the "floppy" fix
    by
    > placing on it the flasher and bios update along with an autoexec file with
    the
    > suitable command to flash the bios that way, BUT to no avail. Now I'm
    guessing
    > my bios is still okay given the fact that "BootLock" on it has been
    activated.
    > The thing is while the floppy is booting I get the Award Flasher dialogue
    box
    > but no cursor where I can type in the *.bin file for the update. The
    keyboard
    > is inoperative (tried several).
    >
    > I'm stuck and require the advice/service of an expert which I will gladly
    pay
    > for.
    >
    > The board is as I say, an Epox: Model# ep-8rda3+ (revision 1.x)
    > (I'm told most all Asus boards are universal flashers)
    >
    > Michael
    > sm66ca@aol.com
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Sm66ca wrote:
    > Attention Experts:
    >
    > I did a baddddddddd thing...My attempt at updating my bios went
    horribly wrong
    > when it stalled RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the update.I tried the
    "floppy" fix by
    > placing on it the flasher and bios update along with an autoexec file
    with the
    > suitable command to flash the bios that way, BUT to no avail. Now I'm
    guessing
    > my bios is still okay given the fact that "BootLock" on it has been
    activated.
    > The thing is while the floppy is booting I get the Award Flasher
    dialogue box
    > but no cursor where I can type in the *.bin file for the update. The
    keyboard
    > is inoperative (tried several).
    >
    > I'm stuck and require the advice/service of an expert which I will
    gladly pay
    > for.
    >
    > The board is as I say, an Epox: Model# ep-8rda3+ (revision 1.x)
    > (I'm told most all Asus boards are universal flashers)
    >
    > Michael
    > sm66ca@aol.com

    In the USA, www.epoxstore.com.

    $10 for a replacement chip (preflashed).

    $5 for the PLCC extractor.

    Went this route about 8 months ago for my EP-8KTA3PRO. I also
    hotflashed (risky) my old chip so now I have a backup BIOS.
    Stephen Sheppard
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Can't thank you enough!

    Regards,

    Mike
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Are you familiar with something called the Bios Savior? It resembles an actual
    Bios chip. You install it into you Motherboard and then install the Corrupted,
    original chip piggy-back style on top of it. Unfortunately, for me, it doees
    not work as stated. Anyway, again, many thx for sage advice...

    Regards,

    Mike
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Yes, I've heard of BIOS Savior. I looked into once but at the time I
    didn't know if I needed the 2 mbit chip or the 4 mbit chip.

    If you already have a corrupted BIOS you have to order BIOS Savior
    pre-flashed with a good BIOS for your board. Once installed you boot
    your machine, toggle the switch, and flash your BIOS chip. Now you
    have two copies. In the future if one copy gets corrupted you repeat
    the same steps

    Stephen Sheppard
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Why on earth did it halt halfway through the flash?

    Heard 8rda3+ rev 1.x boards dont flash to the newer bios at all!

    Cheers
    michael
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Hi, you should use the bios flash program to update the bios on newer boards
    including Epox. Its invoked using alt-F2 usually, check the manua and follow
    the directions for naming the bios file on a floppy. Insert it in drive and
    hit alt-F2 will bring up the bios flash program. Radio Shack
    stores sells the bios chip extraction tool.

    Doug
    www.lynncomp.com
    Epox direct reseller

    "Sm66ca" <sm66ca@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Attention Experts:
    >
    > I did a baddddddddd thing...My attempt at updating my bios went horribly
    > wrong
    > when it stalled RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of the update.I tried the "floppy" fix
    > by
    > placing on it the flasher and bios update along with an autoexec file with
    > the
    > suitable command to flash the bios that way, BUT to no avail. Now I'm
    > guessing
    > my bios is still okay given the fact that "BootLock" on it has been
    > activated.
    > The thing is while the floppy is booting I get the Award Flasher dialogue
    > box
    > but no cursor where I can type in the *.bin file for the update. The
    > keyboard
    > is inoperative (tried several).
    >
    > I'm stuck and require the advice/service of an expert which I will gladly
    > pay
    > for.
    >
    > The board is as I say, an Epox: Model# ep-8rda3+ (revision 1.x)
    > (I'm told most all Asus boards are universal flashers)
    >
    > Michael
    > sm66ca@aol.com

Epox BIOS Floppy Disk Motherboards