Power on by keyboard

How do I get the power-on key on a keyboard to work? I've browsed through
bios settings and enabled things like "wake on PME". We have current Intel
motherboards (865 series) and current XP and keyboards that have the
power-on key. They are PS/2 but we could also use USB if it matters. I'm
looking to power on after a full shutdown, not just wake from a sleep state.

Thanks,
Tom
4 answers Last reply
More about power keyboard

    I don't see how you can do that. There has to be power to the keyboard in
    order to send a signal to turn the system on. If there is no power to the
    keyboard I don't see how it can send a signal in the first place.

    "TC2" <neinspam.tomcantlon@vispath.com> wrote in message
    > How do I get the power-on key on a keyboard to work? I've browsed through
    > bios settings and enabled things like "wake on PME". We have current Intel
    > motherboards (865 series) and current XP and keyboards that have the
    > power-on key. They are PS/2 but we could also use USB if it matters. I'm
    > looking to power on after a full shutdown, not just wake from a sleep
    state.

    > Thanks,
    > Tom

    Thanks for the reply. Isn't that what the power-on button is for? Most of
    these keyboards have a separate "wake" button, so it would seem the other is
    intended to be genuine power on. I'm assuming some additional capability is
    in these keyboards that can generate a power on signal, just as the
    motherboard can a LAN or modem power-on signal.

    Tom

    "Kevin" <webman6@hot4mail.com> wrote in message
    >I don't see how you can do that. There has to be power to the keyboard in
    > order to send a signal to turn the system on. If there is no power to the
    > keyboard I don't see how it can send a signal in the first place.
    >
    > "TC2" <neinspam.tomcantlon@vispath.com> wrote in message
    >> How do I get the power-on key on a keyboard to work? I've browsed through
    >> bios settings and enabled things like "wake on PME". We have current
    >> Intel
    >> motherboards (865 series) and current XP and keyboards that have the
    >> power-on key. They are PS/2 but we could also use USB if it matters. I'm
    >> looking to power on after a full shutdown, not just wake from a sleep
    > state.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Tom

    The bios has to support it, or you can't do it.

    "TC2" <neinspam.tomcantlon@vispath.com> wrote in message
    > How do I get the power-on key on a keyboard to work? I've browsed through
    > bios settings and enabled things like "wake on PME". We have current Intel
    > motherboards (865 series) and current XP and keyboards that have the
    > power-on key. They are PS/2 but we could also use USB if it matters. I'm
    > looking to power on after a full shutdown, not just wake from a sleep
    > state.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tom

    Power on settings are Hardware Controlled and not software: power off
    settings are now controlled by windows.

    To manage the Hardware Settings one uses an appropiate section in BIOS: not
    all have them set out in the same manner: look up your Mobo manual for Wake
    on Event settings or somthing similar: depending on their country of origin
    the English used may vary siginificantly.

    From this section in BIOS you can set the PC to Wake on LAN activity, Wake
    on Mdodem Ring, Wake on Keyboard input [and maybe even identify one or more
    specific keys or combinations to be pushed]. It may also be described as
    'allow this device to turn on PC'.

    If this isn't available through BIOS then the keys will have no effect.

    To adjust the software settings - power off or whatever: open up Display
    Properties and click on the Screen Saver tab:
    under the heading Monitor Power click on the button marked Power
    Click on the Advanced tab
    under the heading Power Buttons you can choose the behaviour when you press
    the Keyboard Power Switch and the PC power switch [the both perform in the
    same way].

    "D.Currie" wrote:

    > The bios has to support it, or you can't do it.
    >
    > "TC2" <neinspam.tomcantlon@vispath.com> wrote in message
    > > How do I get the power-on key on a keyboard to work? I've browsed through
    > > bios settings and enabled things like "wake on PME". We have current Intel
    > > motherboards (865 series) and current XP and keyboards that have the
    > > power-on key. They are PS/2 but we could also use USB if it matters. I'm
    > > looking to power on after a full shutdown, not just wake from a sleep
    > > state.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Tom

Power Keyboards Windows XP