HP ScanJet 6350cxi software update

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I recently reinstalled my scanner on a Windows XP Pro Machine and it works
fine. However, when I attempt to upgrade the software using COL5319 to
correct the "send to list" to include Word 2003, the file downloads but when
it oes to install I get th error message "can not complete". No explanation
of what is wrong? Any idea or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Don

Send it to a Graphics program such a MS Document Imaging. Word can't
"open" image files.

"Bob I" wrote:

> Send it to a Graphics program such a MS Document Imaging. Word can't
> "open" image files.
>
> Don wrote:
>
> > I recently reinstalled my scanner on a Windows XP Pro Machine and it works
> > fine. However, when I attempt to upgrade the software using COL5319 to
> > correct the "send to list" to include Word 2003, the file downloads but when
> > it oes to install I get th error message "can not complete". No explanation
> > of what is wrong? Any idea or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob,

The COL5319 file is an exe file - not an imaging file. Setup seems to run
fine but immediately the error noted above appears. I have updated the
scanner software before and it opened and installed just fine. However, the
error persists.

Where does this "COL5319.exe" file come from? It sounds like an issue
with the HP scanner driver system.

Don wrote:

> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Send it to a Graphics program such a MS Document Imaging. Word can't
>>"open" image files.
>>
>>Don wrote:
>>

>>>I recently reinstalled my scanner on a Windows XP Pro Machine and it works
>>>fine. However, when I attempt to upgrade the software using COL5319 to
>>>correct the "send to list" to include Word 2003, the file downloads but when
>>>it oes to install I get th error message "can not complete". No explanation
>>>of what is wrong? Any idea or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
>>>

> Bob,
>
> The COL5319 file is an exe file - not an imaging file. Setup seems to run
> fine but immediately the error noted above appears. I have updated the
> scanner software before and it opened and installed just fine. However, the
> error persists.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

"Bob I" wrote:

> Where does this "COL5319.exe" file come from? It sounds like an issue
> with the HP scanner driver system.
>
> Don wrote: It was downloaded directly from the HP site for drivers and downloads for that scanner.
>

> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >

> >>Send it to a Graphics program such a MS Document Imaging. Word can't

> > Bob,
> >
> > The COL5319 file is an exe file - not an imaging file. Setup seems to run
> > fine but immediately the error noted above appears. I have updated the
> > scanner software before and it opened and installed just fine. However, the
> > error persists.

HP help mentions installing it using "Safe Mode" if you are using
Windows XP.

Don wrote:

> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Where does this "COL5319.exe" file come from? It sounds like an issue
>>with the HP scanner driver system.
>>
>>Don wrote: It was downloaded directly from the HP site for drivers and downloads for that scanner.

>>>Bob,
>>>
>>>The COL5319 file is an exe file - not an imaging file. Setup seems to run
>>>fine but immediately the error noted above appears. I have updated the
>>>scanner software before and it opened and installed just fine. However, the
>>>error persists.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

"Bob I" wrote:

> HP help mentions installing it using "Safe Mode" if you are using
> Windows XP.
>
> Don wrote:
>
> > Bob,

I tried that and no change. At HP's suggestion I tried deleting all *.tmp
and internet files but nothing changed. There has to be a conflict somewhere
but my IT person can't find it and apparently HP does not have an answer.
However, I am still open to suggestions.

> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >

> >>Where does this "COL5319.exe" file come from? It sounds like an issue
> >>with the HP scanner driver system.
> >>
> >>Don wrote: It was downloaded directly from the HP site for drivers and downloads for that scanner.

Wild guessing now! Try placing the all the file for this in the C:\tmp
folder. Try using the Administrator account in safe mode and then fire
off the installer. I'm guessing that there is some permission somewhere
that is preventing the writing of some file or registry key and that is
holding up the works.

Don wrote:

> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>HP help mentions installing it using "Safe Mode" if you are using
>>Windows XP.
>>
>>Don wrote:
>>

>>>Bob,
>>>

> I tried that and no change. At HP's suggestion I tried deleting all *.tmp
> and internet files but nothing changed. There has to be a conflict somewhere
> but my IT person can't find it and apparently HP does not have an answer.
> However, I am still open to suggestions.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Bob,

Thanks for you help in tryin gto solve this problem. I have recently worked
with the Advanced Support Group at HP and they finally cmae up wit th
esolution that I had to reinstall the OS but I obviously was not about to do
that.

What I was able to do was download the driver and update onto my home
computer, copy the Precision Pro Folder from that machine and then replace
that folder here on the office computer which has the scanner attached.

It worked, so now Microsoft Word appears in the "Send to" list. I am still
curious as to why the file COL5319.exe would download but would not update.
The work around I used, without HP help, has at least got me to the point
wherer I can easily use the scanner.

Thanks agaiin for all you help.

Don

"Bob I" wrote:

> Wild guessing now! Try placing the all the file for this in the C:\tmp
> folder. Try using the Administrator account in safe mode and then fire
> off the installer. I'm guessing that there is some permission somewhere
> that is preventing the writing of some file or registry key and that is
> holding up the works.
>
> Don wrote:
>

> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >

> >>HP help mentions installing it using "Safe Mode" if you are using
> >>Windows XP.

> > I tried that and no change. At HP's suggestion I tried deleting all *.tmp
> > and internet files but nothing changed. There has to be a conflict somewhere
> > but my IT person can't find it and apparently HP does not have an answer.
> > However, I am still open to suggestions.

Glad you're up and going. Thanks for posting back.