XP SP2 VERY SLOW...

One of my clients home PCs is running XP SP2, Home Edition. It is EXTREMELY
slow now, but they are not certain exactly when it started. It takes about
15 minutes to get all the way in, and then even right clicking things is
slow. The PC is 2.20Ghz P4 Processor, with only 128 MB or RAM. Would this
alone be an issue? Too much processor power for that little of RAM?
Otherwise I'm thinking I may have to try uninstalling XP SP2 and seeing if
that makes a difference. Also, I uninstalled Norton on it temporarily and
that seemed to speed it up a bit. of course, i had to put it back on.
any help would be appreciated.
--
AJD

peter

personal opinion:
128mb of RAM is inadequate..........get 512
the more programs start(taskbar..background...etc) the longer it takes to start
XP.......mine takes 32 seconds and I think thats too long but I am stuck
there.The slowness once XP starts is due to low RAM...get more!! Its not too
much processor for that little RAM its too little RAM...period.
peter

"peter" <peter@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> personal opinion:
> 128mb of RAM is inadequate..........get 512
> the more programs start(taskbar..background...etc) the longer it takes to
start
> XP.......mine takes 32 seconds and I think thats too long but I am stuck
> there.The slowness once XP starts is due to low RAM...get more!! Its not
too
> much processor for that little RAM its too little RAM...period.
> peter
> "eplan-a.com" <eplanacom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > One of my clients home PCs is running XP SP2, Home Edition. It is
EXTREMELY
> > slow now, but they are not certain exactly when it started. It takes
about
> > 15 minutes to get all the way in, and then even right clicking things is
> > slow. The PC is 2.20Ghz P4 Processor, with only 128 MB or RAM. Would
this
> > alone be an issue? Too much processor power for that little of RAM?
> > Otherwise I'm thinking I may have to try uninstalling XP SP2 and seeing
if
> > that makes a difference. Also, I uninstalled Norton on it temporarily
and
> > that seemed to speed it up a bit. of course, i had to put it back on.
> > any help would be appreciated.
> > --
> > AJD
<of course, i had to put it back on.>

no you didn't, you could have installed AVG which, on a system with that
level of RAM, would make far more sense

Huh! The same thing happened to my PC when I installed SP2 - it slowed down
to an absolute snail's pace! In the end, I gave up and decided to uninstall
it. The uninstallation process took as long or longer than the original
installation process - and even when it had completed and I had restarted my
PC, my system was STILL much slower than it was before I ever installed SP2!
I therefore had to wipe my hard drive and reload my whole system, to get it
working as it did before I installed the dreaded SP2. Needless to say, I will
NOT be installing SP2 in the foreseeable future! I will stick with SP1 until
such time as I can afford to upgrade my PC.

"eplan-a.com" wrote:

> One of my clients home PCs is running XP SP2, Home Edition. It is EXTREMELY
> slow now, but they are not certain exactly when it started. It takes about
> 15 minutes to get all the way in, and then even right clicking things is
> slow. The PC is 2.20Ghz P4 Processor, with only 128 MB or RAM. Would this
> alone be an issue? Too much processor power for that little of RAM?
> Otherwise I'm thinking I may have to try uninstalling XP SP2 and seeing if
> that makes a difference. Also, I uninstalled Norton on it temporarily and
> that seemed to speed it up a bit. of course, i had to put it back on.
> any help would be appreciated.
> --
> AJD

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"eplan-a.com" <eplanacom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> One of my clients home PCs is running XP SP2, Home Edition. It is
> EXTREMELY
> slow now, but they are not certain exactly when it started. It
> takes about
> 15 minutes to get all the way in, and then even right clicking
> things is
> slow. The PC is 2.20Ghz P4 Processor, with only 128 MB or RAM.
> Would this
> alone be an issue? Too much processor power for that little of RAM?
> Otherwise I'm thinking I may have to try uninstalling XP SP2 and
> seeing if
> that makes a difference. Also, I uninstalled Norton on it
> temporarily and
> that seemed to speed it up a bit. of course, i had to put it back
> on.
> any help would be appreciated.

Start > Run > MSCONFIG.....
Under the startup tab see how many items are starting. I have
four that are needed for my XPPro boxen. I have two that are
needed on my XPHome boxen.
Go to the page below which will explain what your entries are,
if they are needed and how to remove them if not.

>http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/browse.php?l=3&start=275&end=300>

good luck

"eplan-a.com" <eplanacom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> One of my clients home PCs is running XP SP2, Home Edition. It is
> EXTREMELY
> slow now, but they are not certain exactly when it started. It takes
> about
> 15 minutes to get all the way in, and then even right clicking things is
> slow. The PC is 2.20Ghz P4 Processor, with only 128 MB or RAM. Would
> this
> alone be an issue? Too much processor power for that little of RAM?
> Otherwise I'm thinking I may have to try uninstalling XP SP2 and seeing if
> that makes a difference. Also, I uninstalled Norton on it temporarily and
> that seemed to speed it up a bit. of course, i had to put it back on.
> any help would be appreciated.
> --
> AJD

There are many things you can do to help it with the XP installation itself
but the first thing I would say to do is to have 512megs of ram. That is one
thing.

I'd also suggest to get someone in and pay them who works in the industry to
help out because without being at the keyboard, you can only get
suggestions. Sometimes it can be things which only someone like I said can
find.