8KTA3+ AGP

I have an 8KTA3+ mobo with a AMD Athlon 1Ghz processor. I have the latest
BIOS (7/29/2002) and the latest 4in1 drivers loaded. I have been running an
older AGP 2x ATI all-in-wonder card with no problems. I just bought a ATI
All-in-wonder 9600 AGP 8x/4x. I looked in the 8KTA3+ manual and it shows an
option in the bios under advanced chipset features of "AGP-4X MODE" which
can be enabled/disabled. When I enter the BIOS on my machine, I don't see
that option; in it's place I see one that says "AGP Mode" which can only be
set to 1x or 2x. The label on the box, the manual and a number of references
I have seen online say this mobo is AGP 4X capable. Why don't I see this
option in the BIOS? I read some references that talked about AGP running at
different voltages so I am afraid to just plug the card in - I don't want to
fry it or the mobo. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me - I want
to play Doom 3 and the old video card isn't supported!
Thanks!
7 answers Last reply
More about 8kta3
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    > I have an 8KTA3+ mobo with a AMD Athlon 1Ghz processor. I have the latest
    > BIOS (7/29/2002) and the latest 4in1 drivers loaded. I have been running
    an
    > older AGP 2x ATI all-in-wonder card with no problems. I just bought a ATI
    > All-in-wonder 9600 AGP 8x/4x. I looked in the 8KTA3+ manual and it shows
    an
    > option in the bios under advanced chipset features of "AGP-4X MODE" which
    > can be enabled/disabled. When I enter the BIOS on my machine, I don't see
    > that option; in it's place I see one that says "AGP Mode" which can only
    be
    > set to 1x or 2x. The label on the box, the manual and a number of
    references
    > I have seen online say this mobo is AGP 4X capable. Why don't I see this
    > option in the BIOS? I read some references that talked about AGP running
    at
    > different voltages so I am afraid to just plug the card in - I don't want
    > fry it or the mobo. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me - I
    want
    > to play Doom 3 and the old video card isn't supported!
    > Thanks!

    Reason: this feature is only available on boards of later revisions.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Thanks... I was afraid of something like that. Does it mean that I can't use
    the ATI card on this mobo, or is it like USB where a USB 1 device will work
    with a USB2 port, but at USB 1 speeds? Or will I damage the video card/mobo
    if I try it?
    "Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com> wrote in message

    > > I have an 8KTA3+ mobo with a AMD Athlon 1Ghz processor. I have the
    latest
    > > BIOS (7/29/2002) and the latest 4in1 drivers loaded. I have been running
    > an
    > > older AGP 2x ATI all-in-wonder card with no problems. I just bought a
    ATI
    > > All-in-wonder 9600 AGP 8x/4x. I looked in the 8KTA3+ manual and it shows
    > an
    > > option in the bios under advanced chipset features of "AGP-4X MODE"
    which
    > > can be enabled/disabled. When I enter the BIOS on my machine, I don't
    see
    > > that option; in it's place I see one that says "AGP Mode" which can only
    > be
    > > set to 1x or 2x. The label on the box, the manual and a number of
    > references
    > > I have seen online say this mobo is AGP 4X capable. Why don't I see this
    > > option in the BIOS? I read some references that talked about AGP running
    > at
    > > different voltages so I am afraid to just plug the card in - I don't
    want
    > > fry it or the mobo. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me - I
    > want
    > > to play Doom 3 and the old video card isn't supported!
    > > Thanks!
    >
    > Reason: this feature is only available on boards of later revisions.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Thanks.. Also, is this something physical with the board that can't be fixed
    with a BIOS or driver update?
    "Sharp" <Sharp@SharpAddress.com> wrote in message

    > > I have an 8KTA3+ mobo with a AMD Athlon 1Ghz processor. I have the
    latest
    > > BIOS (7/29/2002) and the latest 4in1 drivers loaded. I have been running
    > an
    > > older AGP 2x ATI all-in-wonder card with no problems. I just bought a
    ATI
    > > All-in-wonder 9600 AGP 8x/4x. I looked in the 8KTA3+ manual and it shows
    > an
    > > option in the bios under advanced chipset features of "AGP-4X MODE"
    which
    > > can be enabled/disabled. When I enter the BIOS on my machine, I don't
    see
    > > that option; in it's place I see one that says "AGP Mode" which can only
    > be
    > > set to 1x or 2x. The label on the box, the manual and a number of
    > references
    > > I have seen online say this mobo is AGP 4X capable. Why don't I see this
    > > option in the BIOS? I read some references that talked about AGP running
    > at
    > > different voltages so I am afraid to just plug the card in - I don't
    want
    > > fry it or the mobo. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me - I
    > want
    > > to play Doom 3 and the old video card isn't supported!
    > > Thanks!
    >
    > Reason: this feature is only available on boards of later revisions.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    > Thanks.. Also, is this something physical with the board that can't be
    fixed
    > with a BIOS or driver update?

    You already have the latest bios update, so you should be able to answer
    your own question.

    Usually, technology is smart enough to allow for backward compatibility, but
    you should do some research on it before going ahead.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    Mysterion wrote:
    > I have an 8KTA3+ mobo with a AMD Athlon 1Ghz processor. I have the latest
    > BIOS (7/29/2002) and the latest 4in1 drivers loaded. I have been running an
    > older AGP 2x ATI all-in-wonder card with no problems. I just bought a ATI
    > All-in-wonder 9600 AGP 8x/4x. I looked in the 8KTA3+ manual and it shows an
    > option in the bios under advanced chipset features of "AGP-4X MODE" which
    > can be enabled/disabled. When I enter the BIOS on my machine, I don't see
    > that option; in it's place I see one that says "AGP Mode" which can only be
    > set to 1x or 2x. The label on the box, the manual and a number of references
    > I have seen online say this mobo is AGP 4X capable. Why don't I see this
    > option in the BIOS? I read some references that talked about AGP running at
    > different voltages so I am afraid to just plug the card in - I don't want to
    > fry it or the mobo. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me - I want
    > to play Doom 3 and the old video card isn't supported!
    > Thanks!

    Latest BIOS should be 9 April 2003 available at

    http://www.epox.nl/english/support/bios/socket.php?id=8

    Not that that will necessarily help you any...but just FYI.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    If the card in the system is only AGP 2X, that that the highst option you
    wll see.
    "gdp" <gdp416@cox.invalid> wrote in message
    > Mysterion wrote:
    >> I have an 8KTA3+ mobo with a AMD Athlon 1Ghz processor. I have the latest
    >> BIOS (7/29/2002) and the latest 4in1 drivers loaded. I have been running
    >> an
    >> older AGP 2x ATI all-in-wonder card with no problems. I just bought a ATI
    >> All-in-wonder 9600 AGP 8x/4x. I looked in the 8KTA3+ manual and it shows
    >> an
    >> option in the bios under advanced chipset features of "AGP-4X MODE"
    >> which
    >> can be enabled/disabled. When I enter the BIOS on my machine, I don't see
    >> that option; in it's place I see one that says "AGP Mode" which can only
    >> be
    >> set to 1x or 2x. The label on the box, the manual and a number of
    >> references
    >> I have seen online say this mobo is AGP 4X capable. Why don't I see this
    >> option in the BIOS? I read some references that talked about AGP running
    >> at
    >> different voltages so I am afraid to just plug the card in - I don't want
    >> fry it or the mobo. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me - I
    >> want
    >> to play Doom 3 and the old video card isn't supported!
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > Latest BIOS should be 9 April 2003 available at
    >
    > http://www.epox.nl/english/support/bios/socket.php?id=8
    >
    > Not that that will necessarily help you any...but just FYI.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    When you physically install the 4x/8x card, the 4x option will show up
    in the BIOS.

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:38:56 -0800, "Mysterion"
    <Mysterion@nowhere.net> wrote:

    >I have an 8KTA3+ mobo with a AMD Athlon 1Ghz processor. I have the latest
    >BIOS (7/29/2002) and the latest 4in1 drivers loaded. I have been running an
    >older AGP 2x ATI all-in-wonder card with no problems. I just bought a ATI
    >All-in-wonder 9600 AGP 8x/4x. I looked in the 8KTA3+ manual and it shows an
    >option in the bios under advanced chipset features of "AGP-4X MODE" which
    >can be enabled/disabled. When I enter the BIOS on my machine, I don't see
    >that option; in it's place I see one that says "AGP Mode" which can only be
    >set to 1x or 2x. The label on the box, the manual and a number of references
    >I have seen online say this mobo is AGP 4X capable. Why don't I see this
    >option in the BIOS? I read some references that talked about AGP running at
    >different voltages so I am afraid to just plug the card in - I don't want to
    >fry it or the mobo. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me - I want
    >to play Doom 3 and the old video card isn't supported!
    >Thanks!

Epox BIOS Motherboards