Installing XP

Using an Epox 8 RGA with AMD 2700 and 1 gig of ram and a 8mb I get message
Trying to install Windows XP
An internal Setup error has occurred
Could not find a place for the swap file

As far as I am aware i have Formatted and Fdisk(ed)
so any suggestions very welcom

jim
5 answers Last reply
More about installing
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.epox (More info?)

    You don't need to format or fdisk with xp. The setup will do all that for
    you. You could however, use fdisk to remove all partitions before beginning
    the xp setup. It looks to me like XP is having a problem with your hard
    drive. Pay special attention to the first part of setup when you pick what
    partition to install onto and it's size. Best thing to do (what I like to
    do) is to get the hard drive manufacturers utility and zero out (low level
    format) the drive. Then boot off xp cd and begin the install. You can't
    go wrong that way.

    DaveL

    <nospamjcsw07087@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Using an Epox 8 RGA with AMD 2700 and 1 gig of ram and a 8mb I get message
    > Trying to install Windows XP
    > An internal Setup error has occurred
    > Could not find a place for the swap file
    >
    > As far as I am aware i have Formatted and Fdisk(ed)
    > so any suggestions very welcom
    >
    > jim
  2. Following are steps:
    1. Using Partition Magic or any boot disk for XP.
    2. Press F12 same time with turn on computer
    3. First, select Boot on hard Disk. It iS VERY IMPORTANT since it is the RIGHT PLACE that the XP WINDOWS INSTALLATION is looking for.
    4. Restart.
    6. Insert XP Installation disk same time press F12.
    7. Select option 2 (CD /DVD drive)
    8. Hit enter....

    Pls remember every time you reinstall XP windows you have to delete partition. If not, any file loaded previously will not allow you to keep on the installtion process.

    Good luck !!!
  3. tranhoaithu said:
    Following are steps:
    1. Using Partition Magic or any boot disk for XP.
    2. Press F12 same time with turn on computer
    3. First, select Boot on hard Disk. It iS VERY IMPORTANT since it is the RIGHT PLACE that the XP WINDOWS INSTALLATION is looking for.
    4. Restart.
    6. Insert XP Installation disk same time press F12.
    7. Select option 2 (CD /DVD drive)
    8. Hit enter....

    Pls remember every time you reinstall XP windows you have to delete partition. If not, any file loaded previously will not allow you to keep on the installtion process.

    Good luck !!!

    you are a bit late, the thread was from 6 yrs ago, doubt he still has the problem :o
  4. Good lord! How did we stumble on a 6 year old thread and not notice? Somebody forgot their morning coffee!
  5. It is good to answer old threads, because a lot of people, such as myself, do searches to find answers within old threads.

Epox Windows XP Motherboards