Install new USB 2.0 card

I am a complete novice and have a three year old Compaq Presario 1700
with two USB 1.1 ports. Several new devices that I have bought tell me
they are not working optimally because they need USB 2.0. I have looked
for new USB cards but they all seem to ONLY have ports for USB. My
difficulty is that my existing USB ports are on the same piece of
hardware as my Ethernet port and regular phone line port. Does anyone
know how to resolve this issue. Is there such a product as a
combination USB 2.0/Ethernet/Phone card?
Thanks

--
oliver51

oliver51 wrote:
> I am a complete novice and have a three year old Compaq Presario 1700
> with two USB 1.1 ports. Several new devices that I have bought tell me
> they are not working optimally because they need USB 2.0. I have looked
> for new USB cards but they all seem to ONLY have ports for USB. My
> difficulty is that my existing USB ports are on the same piece of
> hardware as my Ethernet port and regular phone line port. Does anyone
> know how to resolve this issue. Is there such a product as a
> combination USB 2.0/Ethernet/Phone card?
> Thanks

I've never heard of a card like that, but I do know that, if you have an
available slot, you can install a USB 2.0 card in your system. All
devices should still work harmoniously together.

courtney sends....

"oliver51" <oliver51.1e3811@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I am a complete novice and have a three year old Compaq Presario 1700
> with two USB 1.1 ports. Several new devices that I have bought tell me
> they are not working optimally because they need USB 2.0. I have looked
> for new USB cards but they all seem to ONLY have ports for USB. My
> difficulty is that my existing USB ports are on the same piece of
> hardware as my Ethernet port and regular phone line port. Does anyone
> know how to resolve this issue. Is there such a product as a
> combination USB 2.0/Ethernet/Phone card?
> Thanks
>

> --
> oliver51

Sounds like a Compaq special. I've never seen that combo in real life. Best
bet would be to buy a USB 2.0 card and just add that in while leaving the
other card.

Oliver,

I think what you are looking at on your computer are things that are built
into the motherboard. It is pretty standard today to have USB, modem,
Ethernet, firewire, etc. built into the board.

As the other responders have indicated you can just add a pci card with USB,
and maybe firewire, ports if you have an available pci slot. You can find
these cards at places like- www.computergeeks.com and www.newegg.com for
less than $10.

Wayne