Pocket PC with serial port

July 5, 2004 2:48:05 AM

Hi all,

I would like to buy a Pocket PC with serial port so that I can use it
as a terminal to connect my Cisco router console port. Any suggestion
on the model? Is HP IPAQ good? Thanks.

Regards,
Dovelet

More about : pocket serial port

July 5, 2004 11:31:13 AM

On 4 Jul 2004 22:48:05 -0700, doveletchan@yahoo.com.hk (dovelet)
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I would like to buy a Pocket PC with serial port so that I can use it
>as a terminal to connect my Cisco router console port. Any suggestion
>on the model? Is HP IPAQ good? Thanks.
>
>Regards,
>Dovelet

My 3970 had a docking cable with both USB and Serial plugs on it
--

E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk

10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

http://www.davessite.co.uk Trike Power the TRUE Trinity
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 2:20:54 AM

dovelet wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to buy a Pocket PC with serial port so that I can use it
> as a terminal to connect my Cisco router console port. Any suggestion
> on the model? Is HP IPAQ good? Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Dovelet
The HP 19xx doesn't have this, the 22xx does.
July 7, 2004 12:44:52 AM

Have you tried this before? It is possible, but let me dissuade you a
little. The screen on a PPC is very small and it is difficult to peck out
Cisco IOS commands on a tiny keyboard. I would not try using the HWR on
commands, as the process is trying to guess the words you are scrawling, and
you are not scrawling words, at least not English ones. You could do a bit
better with a keyboard, but for the most part these will be connected to the
PPC with the same connector you need to do serial to the router. You could
use an IR keyboard which would leave the serial port free. It is not an
especially pleasant process, unless you are only considering making quick
changes/fixes in emergencies.

I would actually recommend finding an old handheld PC on eBay or somewhere.
I have an NEC 780 that I picked up for about $150, IIRC, for just this
purpose. It has a window that is big enough to get 80 columns across and has
a full keyboard. It's bigger than a PPC, but in this case that is an
advantage IMHO.

If you are set on a PPC, I think the HP4350 might really fit the bill, as it
has a built in thumboard.

Two other things you will need are a null modem arrangement (or specially
built cable) as the serial cable for most PPCs is designed to connect to a
PC, not the console port of a Cisco, and some terminal software. For that
last part I recommend vxHPC from www.cam.com, whether you go for the PPC or
the handheld.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"dovelet" <doveletchan@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to buy a Pocket PC with serial port so that I can use it
> as a terminal to connect my Cisco router console port. Any suggestion
> on the model? Is HP IPAQ good? Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Dovelet
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 8:22:49 PM

If Sven's post about the small screen doesn't dissuade you, I
recommend using a serial adapter with any Pocket PC you like for other
criteria. I'm quite sure Socket makes several, and think their web
site is at
www.socketcom.com
The following describes a device with a serial adaptor that uses
Bluetooth to connect to the computer/PDA:
http://www.socketcom.com/product/CS0400-479.asp

wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I would like to buy a Pocket PC with serial port so that I can use it
>as a terminal to connect my Cisco router console port. Any suggestion
>on the model? Is HP IPAQ good? Thanks.
>
>Regards,
>Dovelet

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP