renamed csginal.dll and windows not booting up

I renamed the csgina.dll to enable the fast switching in an absent-minded
state (I wanted to actually rename the registry entries. I restarted the m/c
again in this same absent-minded state. The machine wont boot up now. It
gives some sort of User interface error and points to the csgina.dll
ANy help in restoring the system would be appreciated.
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about renamed csginal windows booting

    "prashant74" <prashant74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I renamed the csgina.dll to enable the fast switching in an absent-minded
    > state (I wanted to actually rename the registry entries. I restarted the
    m/c
    > again in this same absent-minded state. The machine wont boot up now. It
    > gives some sort of User interface error and points to the csgina.dll
    > ANy help in restoring the system would be appreciated.
    > Thanks

    Use your Win2000 installation CD to boot into the Recovery
    Console, then rename the file back to what it should be.

    Can I use the same logic for the Windows XP Home edition that I have?

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > "prashant74" <prashant74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I renamed the csgina.dll to enable the fast switching in an absent-minded
    > > state (I wanted to actually rename the registry entries. I restarted the
    > m/c
    > > again in this same absent-minded state. The machine wont boot up now. It
    > > gives some sort of User interface error and points to the csgina.dll
    > > ANy help in restoring the system would be appreciated.
    > > Thanks
    >
    > Use your Win2000 installation CD to boot into the Recovery
    > Console, then rename the file back to what it should be.

    Sorry, when I wrote "Win2000 installation CD", I meant "WinXP
    installation CD". As far as I know, the Recovery Console is available
    for both versions of WinXP.

    > Can I use the same logic for the Windows XP Home edition that I have?
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    >

    > > "prashant74" <prashant74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > I renamed the csgina.dll to enable the fast switching in an
    absent-minded
    > > > state (I wanted to actually rename the registry entries. I restarted
    the
    > > m/c
    > > > again in this same absent-minded state. The machine wont boot up now.
    It
    > > > gives some sort of User interface error and points to the csgina.dll
    > > > ANy help in restoring the system would be appreciated.
    > > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Use your Win2000 installation CD to boot into the Recovery
    > > Console, then rename the file back to what it should be.

    Thanks. I shall try and ket you know.

    "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

    > Sorry, when I wrote "Win2000 installation CD", I meant "WinXP
    > installation CD". As far as I know, the Recovery Console is available
    > for both versions of WinXP.
    >

    > "prashant74" <prashant74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Can I use the same logic for the Windows XP Home edition that I have?
    > >
    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
    > >

    > > > "prashant74" <prashant74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > absent-minded
    > the
    > > > m/c
    > It
    > > >
    > > > Use your Win2000 installation CD to boot into the Recovery
    > > > Console, then rename the file back to what it should be.

Hardware Microsoft DLL Windows XP