Which Bios-Settings for S-ATA and Epox EP-8K9A9+

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2004 8:10:39 PM

I have problems to use a S-ATA-HD with an Epox EP-8K9A9+

Bios: 9a9p3a15.bin
S-ATA HD: Maxtor 6B200M0

Which Bios-settings do I need?

I changed to these values:

Advanced Bios Features / ATA Raid or SCSI Card Boot [S-ATA]
Integrated Peripherals / VT 6420 Serial ATA [on]

I read about "IDE-compatibility-mode". Is this another setting?
Where can I find it?

I tried a lot and didn't find out, what to do, to boot from this
S-ATA-HD.

Al
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 26, 2004 11:35:37 PM

Hi, Al.

I'm not familiar with that mobo or with SATA, but your symptoms sound quite
similar to those I experienced nearly 5 years ago when trying to install
Win2K when it was new. Since then, I've seen similar problems reported over
and over in the Microsoft newsgroups. You haven't said which operating
system you are trying to use, so I assume that it is WinXP. If not, then I
guess you can quit reading right here and post back, telling us which OS is
involved.

When you boot from the WinXP (or Win2K) CD-ROM and run Setup, one of the
first things it does is detect the hardware configuration, then it
customizes YOUR copy of WinXP to fit YOUR environment. One of the most
important pieces is the driver for the HD/controller that will be your boot
device. Drivers for most drives are included on the WinXP CD-ROM, but there
are no drivers for some very old, very new or exotic drives and controllers,
especially if your CD is one of the originals that was produced 3 years ago,
before SATA was popular. It may be that there are no SATA drivers on your
CD, or at least, none that work with your specific hardware. If that is the
case, then you must get the proper drivers onto a floppy diskette before you
run WinXP Setup. You might find the drivers on a floppy that came with the
drive or mobo. If they are on a CD or downloaded from the Maxtor or EPoX
website, you'll have to transfer them to a floppy because WinXP Setup
doesn't know how to install them except from a floppy. When you boot from
the CD, Setup knows how to create partitions on the HD and format them as
required and copy files to that HD, but it does not know how to BOOT FROM
that drive without installing those drivers.

With the floppy at hand, boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and watch for the
instruction, early in the Setup process, to Press F6 to install drivers for
SCSI or another mass storage device. Press F6 and wait; Setup will seem not
to notice and will continue to copy those dozens of files to the HD.
Finally, it will stop with instructions onscreen for how to use the floppy
to install the drivers. After that, it will continue and will boot from the
SATA drive for the first time to enter the GUI phase of Setup.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Al Bogner" <root.forward.dev.null@n04c-nospam.pinguin.uni.cc> wrote in
message news:2299065.BafHX6fqdL@news.pinguin.uni.cc...
>I have problems to use a S-ATA-HD with an Epox EP-8K9A9+
>
> Bios: 9a9p3a15.bin
> S-ATA HD: Maxtor 6B200M0
>
> Which Bios-settings do I need?
>
> I changed to these values:
>
> Advanced Bios Features / ATA Raid or SCSI Card Boot [S-ATA]
> Integrated Peripherals / VT 6420 Serial ATA [on]
>
> I read about "IDE-compatibility-mode". Is this another setting?
> Where can I find it?
>
> I tried a lot and didn't find out, what to do, to boot from this
> S-ATA-HD.
>
> Al
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2004 10:16:33 PM

R. C. White wrote:

> I'm not familiar with that mobo or with SATA, but your symptoms
> sound quite similar to those I experienced nearly 5 years ago when
> trying to install

It looks like all the 3 OS, I tried, make problems, but different
ones.

I would like to install Linux, but I tried XP and DOS too. Fdisk of
Win98 recognizes the S-ATA-drive with a simple DOS boot-floppy. XP
doesn't recognize the S-ATA drive. DOS recognizes the S-ATA HD
without any driver as _3rd_ drive, when 2 IDE-HDs are connected and
partitoning the 200MB HD was possible, when I tried 2% as primary
partition. Linux recognizes the S-ATA-HD as _1st_ drive, /dev/hda,
if no boot-parameter "ide=reverse" is used.

It looks like that the boot-information is searched at different
places, depending which hds are connected.

SuSE 9.1 uses grub as default and with grub different configurations
didn't work. Then I removed all harddisks and used the S-ATA HD
only (/dev/hda). It still didn't work, but when I converted the
grub-configuration to lilo without changing anything it worked!

Unfortunately I couldn't boot, when I added the IDE-drives again and
used the same lilo-conf. I tried a lot of other lilo-configurations
and always I get something like "no OS".

So, at least, I think it is a lilo-configuration problem.

Al
December 27, 2004 10:16:34 PM

You have to hit F6 at the beginning of the XP setup and load the sata driver
from floppy.

DaveL

"Al Bogner" <root.forward.dev.null@n04c-nospam.pinguin.uni.cc> wrote in
message news:100382288.OHSIvVoLcY@news.pinguin.uni.cc...