Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

This is a follow up to an earlier thread. I have a system with Win98
on physical drive "C" and WinXP on physical drive "D" in a dual boot
setup using the WinXP boot loader. I want to install a new larger hard
drive to replace the "D" drive. I have an Addonics External USB2.0
Enclosure that can mount a DVD or hard drive. I bought a Western
digital WD2000JB hard drive and tried to use Norton Ghost to clone the
"D" drive to the new drive. Everything appeared to go OK. The files
and directories appear to be the same as on the old "D" drive. Then I
installed the new hard drive in place of the old "D" drive and booted.
I got the usual boot menu, and Win98 boots OK, but if I select WinXP,
it starts to load, but then does a reboot, and never gets WinXP loaded.

I have no idea why it is not working. I had the jumper set as master
while doing the cloning since there is only one ribbon cable connector
in the Addonics. Then when I installed it in the computer, I changed
the jumper to the slave position. Would this cause a problem?

Any advice will be appreciated.

jimbo

bar

Windows XP has a number of security measures in-built as part of the
anti-piracy process.

Generally if one clones an old drive to a newer larger drive, it is
necessary to perform a repair install of XP to accomodate the changes to the
system configuration. Yes a change in HDD make and model is a configuration
change.

"jimbo" wrote:

> This is a follow up to an earlier thread. I have a system with Win98
> on physical drive "C" and WinXP on physical drive "D" in a dual boot
> setup using the WinXP boot loader. I want to install a new larger hard
> drive to replace the "D" drive. I have an Addonics External USB2.0
> Enclosure that can mount a DVD or hard drive. I bought a Western
> digital WD2000JB hard drive and tried to use Norton Ghost to clone the
> "D" drive to the new drive. Everything appeared to go OK. The files
> and directories appear to be the same as on the old "D" drive. Then I
> installed the new hard drive in place of the old "D" drive and booted.
> I got the usual boot menu, and Win98 boots OK, but if I select WinXP,
> it starts to load, but then does a reboot, and never gets WinXP loaded.
>
> I have no idea why it is not working. I had the jumper set as master
> while doing the cloning since there is only one ribbon cable connector
> in the Addonics. Then when I installed it in the computer, I changed
> the jumper to the slave position. Would this cause a problem?
>
> Any advice will be appreciated.
>
> jimbo

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

BAR wrote:
> Windows XP has a number of security measures in-built as part of the
> anti-piracy process.
>
> Generally if one clones an old drive to a newer larger drive, it is
> necessary to perform a repair install of XP to accomodate the changes to the
> system configuration. Yes a change in HDD make and model is a configuration
> change.
>

> "jimbo" wrote:
>

>>This is a follow up to an earlier thread. I have a system with Win98
>>on physical drive "C" and WinXP on physical drive "D" in a dual boot
>>setup using the WinXP boot loader. I want to install a new larger hard
>>drive to replace the "D" drive. I have an Addonics External USB2.0
>>Enclosure that can mount a DVD or hard drive. I bought a Western
>>digital WD2000JB hard drive and tried to use Norton Ghost to clone the
>>"D" drive to the new drive. Everything appeared to go OK. The files
>>and directories appear to be the same as on the old "D" drive. Then I
>>installed the new hard drive in place of the old "D" drive and booted.
>>I got the usual boot menu, and Win98 boots OK, but if I select WinXP,
>>it starts to load, but then does a reboot, and never gets WinXP loaded.
>>
>>I have no idea why it is not working. I had the jumper set as master
>>while doing the cloning since there is only one ribbon cable connector
>>in the Addonics. Then when I installed it in the computer, I changed
>>the jumper to the slave position. Would this cause a problem?
>>
>>Any advice will be appreciated.
>>
>>jimbo

Thanks for the reply. I did try a "repair" with the WinXP CD, but all
it did was take me to a "D" drive prompt. How do I do a "repair"?

jimbo

I also did a drive cloning. I did not need to d o the repair install.

jimbo wrote:
> This is a follow up to an earlier thread. I have a system with Win98
> on physical drive "C" and WinXP on physical drive "D" in a dual boot
> setup using the WinXP boot loader. I want to install a new larger
> hard
> drive to replace the "D" drive. I have an Addonics External USB2.0
> Enclosure that can mount a DVD or hard drive. I bought a Western
> digital WD2000JB hard drive and tried to use Norton Ghost to clone
> the
> "D" drive to the new drive. Everything appeared to go OK. The files
> and directories appear to be the same as on the old "D" drive. Then
> installed the new hard drive in place of the old "D" drive and
> booted.
> I got the usual boot menu, and Win98 boots OK, but if I select
> WinXP,
> it starts to load, but then does a reboot, and never gets WinXP
> loaded.
> I have no idea why it is not working. I had the jumper set as master
> while doing the cloning since there is only one ribbon cable
> connector
> in the Addonics. Then when I installed it in the computer, I changed
> the jumper to the slave position. Would this cause a problem?
>
> Any advice will be appreciated.
>
> jimbo

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
more stable than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: