LG dvd rom drive

I can not get my LG DVD rom drive to read dvd's...it has always worked before
and now after service pack 2 it will not read them. It is not a hardware
issue because it is a practically brand new drive. It is an 8160, if that
helps. My brother in law is having the same problem although his drive is not
an LG, it is a samsung dvd\cd-rw combo drive only 5 months old. It is too
similar to be coincidence. Can anyone help? Please?
4 answers Last reply
More about drive

    From LG website there is no 8160 just 8160b.

    Reboot computer. If on first POST screen (press PAUSE for a good look) look
    at the listing for your DVD rom. If it states the firmware version is other
    than 1.01 (ie 1.0) then read on. If your firmware version is 1.01 then
    disregard remaining text.

    This is a known issue with LG-8160b. I had the same issue and did the
    firmware update no problems since. Get technical assistance from LG unless
    your comfortable with flashing from true DOS mode. If you can wait till the
    weekend I can provide help.
    http://www.lgservice.com/
    http://ca.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp

    r.

    "dusma" <dusma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I can not get my LG DVD rom drive to read dvd's...it has always worked
    >before
    > and now after service pack 2 it will not read them. It is not a hardware
    > issue because it is a practically brand new drive. It is an 8160, if that
    > helps. My brother in law is having the same problem although his drive is
    > not
    > an LG, it is a samsung dvd\cd-rw combo drive only 5 months old. It is too
    > similar to be coincidence. Can anyone help? Please?

    dusma

    What firmware version is your DRD-8160b?

    r.

    "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    > From LG website there is no 8160 just 8160b.
    >
    > Reboot computer. If on first POST screen (press PAUSE for a good look)
    > look at the listing for your DVD rom. If it states the firmware version
    > is other than 1.01 (ie 1.0) then read on. If your firmware version is
    > 1.01 then disregard remaining text.
    >
    > This is a known issue with LG-8160b. I had the same issue and did the
    > firmware update no problems since. Get technical assistance from LG
    > unless your comfortable with flashing from true DOS mode. If you can wait
    > till the weekend I can provide help.
    > http://www.lgservice.com/
    > http://ca.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp
    >
    > r.
    >
    > "dusma" <dusma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I can not get my LG DVD rom drive to read dvd's...it has always worked
    >>before
    >> and now after service pack 2 it will not read them. It is not a hardware
    >> issue because it is a practically brand new drive. It is an 8160, if
    >> that
    >> helps. My brother in law is having the same problem although his drive is
    >> not
    >> an LG, it is a samsung dvd\cd-rw combo drive only 5 months old. It is too
    >> similar to be coincidence. Can anyone help? Please?

    1.01 but i now have a different dvd rom drive..every time i try to play a dvd
    though it seems to casue a problem. such and such has encountered a problem
    and must close..etc etc... I am getting rather annoyed at service pack 2.
    debating on uninstalling it LOL

    "namniar" wrote:

    > dusma
    >
    > What firmware version is your DRD-8160b?
    >
    > r.
    >

    > "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    > > From LG website there is no 8160 just 8160b.
    > >
    > > Reboot computer. If on first POST screen (press PAUSE for a good look)
    > > look at the listing for your DVD rom. If it states the firmware version
    > > is other than 1.01 (ie 1.0) then read on. If your firmware version is
    > > 1.01 then disregard remaining text.
    > >
    > > This is a known issue with LG-8160b. I had the same issue and did the
    > > firmware update no problems since. Get technical assistance from LG
    > > unless your comfortable with flashing from true DOS mode. If you can wait
    > > till the weekend I can provide help.
    > > http://www.lgservice.com/
    > > http://ca.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp
    > >
    > > r.
    > >
    > > "dusma" <dusma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>I can not get my LG DVD rom drive to read dvd's...it has always worked
    > >>before
    > >> and now after service pack 2 it will not read them. It is not a hardware
    > >> issue because it is a practically brand new drive. It is an 8160, if
    > >> that
    > >> helps. My brother in law is having the same problem although his drive is
    > >> not
    > >> an LG, it is a samsung dvd\cd-rw combo drive only 5 months old. It is too
    > >> similar to be coincidence. Can anyone help? Please?

    What DVD decoder are you using? Updates for it?

    > 1.01 but i now have a different dvd rom drive..every time i try to play a
    > dvd
    > though it seems to casue a problem. such and such has encountered a
    > problem
    > and must close..etc etc... I am getting rather annoyed at service pack 2.
    > debating on uninstalling it LOL
    >
    > "namniar" wrote:
    >
    >> dusma
    >>
    >> What firmware version is your DRD-8160b?
    >>
    >> r.
    >>

    >> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
    >> > From LG website there is no 8160 just 8160b.
    >> >
    >> > Reboot computer. If on first POST screen (press PAUSE for a good look)
    >> > look at the listing for your DVD rom. If it states the firmware
    >> > version
    >> > is other than 1.01 (ie 1.0) then read on. If your firmware version is
    >> > 1.01 then disregard remaining text.
    >> >
    >> > This is a known issue with LG-8160b. I had the same issue and did the
    >> > firmware update no problems since. Get technical assistance from LG
    >> > unless your comfortable with flashing from true DOS mode. If you can
    >> > wait
    >> > till the weekend I can provide help.
    >> > http://www.lgservice.com/
    >> > http://ca.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp