LG dvd rom drive

I can not get my LG DVD rom drive to read dvd's...it has always worked before
and now after service pack 2 it will not read them. It is not a hardware
issue because it is a practically brand new drive. It is an 8160, if that
helps. My brother in law is having the same problem although his drive is not
an LG, it is a samsung dvd\cd-rw combo drive only 5 months old. It is too
similar to be coincidence. Can anyone help? Please?

From LG website there is no 8160 just 8160b.

Reboot computer. If on first POST screen (press PAUSE for a good look) look
at the listing for your DVD rom. If it states the firmware version is other
than 1.01 (ie 1.0) then read on. If your firmware version is 1.01 then
disregard remaining text.

This is a known issue with LG-8160b. I had the same issue and did the
firmware update no problems since. Get technical assistance from LG unless
your comfortable with flashing from true DOS mode. If you can wait till the
weekend I can provide help.
http://www.lgservice.com/
http://ca.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp

r.

"dusma" <dusma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can not get my LG DVD rom drive to read dvd's...it has always worked
>before
> and now after service pack 2 it will not read them. It is not a hardware
> issue because it is a practically brand new drive. It is an 8160, if that
> helps. My brother in law is having the same problem although his drive is
> not
> an LG, it is a samsung dvd\cd-rw combo drive only 5 months old. It is too
> similar to be coincidence. Can anyone help? Please?

dusma

What firmware version is your DRD-8160b?

r.

"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
> From LG website there is no 8160 just 8160b.
>
> Reboot computer. If on first POST screen (press PAUSE for a good look)
> look at the listing for your DVD rom. If it states the firmware version
> is other than 1.01 (ie 1.0) then read on. If your firmware version is
> 1.01 then disregard remaining text.
>
> This is a known issue with LG-8160b. I had the same issue and did the
> firmware update no problems since. Get technical assistance from LG
> unless your comfortable with flashing from true DOS mode. If you can wait
> till the weekend I can provide help.
> http://www.lgservice.com/
> http://ca.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp
>
> r.
>
> "dusma" <dusma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I can not get my LG DVD rom drive to read dvd's...it has always worked
>>before
>> and now after service pack 2 it will not read them. It is not a hardware
>> issue because it is a practically brand new drive. It is an 8160, if
>> that
>> helps. My brother in law is having the same problem although his drive is
>> not
>> an LG, it is a samsung dvd\cd-rw combo drive only 5 months old. It is too
>> similar to be coincidence. Can anyone help? Please?

1.01 but i now have a different dvd rom drive..every time i try to play a dvd
though it seems to casue a problem. such and such has encountered a problem
and must close..etc etc... I am getting rather annoyed at service pack 2.
debating on uninstalling it LOL

"namniar" wrote:

> dusma
>
> What firmware version is your DRD-8160b?
>
> r.
>

> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
> > From LG website there is no 8160 just 8160b.
> >
> > Reboot computer. If on first POST screen (press PAUSE for a good look)
> > look at the listing for your DVD rom. If it states the firmware version
> > is other than 1.01 (ie 1.0) then read on. If your firmware version is
> > 1.01 then disregard remaining text.
> >
> > This is a known issue with LG-8160b. I had the same issue and did the
> > firmware update no problems since. Get technical assistance from LG
> > unless your comfortable with flashing from true DOS mode. If you can wait
> > till the weekend I can provide help.
> > http://www.lgservice.com/
> > http://ca.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp
> >
> > r.
> >
> > "dusma" <dusma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I can not get my LG DVD rom drive to read dvd's...it has always worked
> >>before
> >> and now after service pack 2 it will not read them. It is not a hardware
> >> issue because it is a practically brand new drive. It is an 8160, if
> >> that
> >> helps. My brother in law is having the same problem although his drive is
> >> not
> >> an LG, it is a samsung dvd\cd-rw combo drive only 5 months old. It is too
> >> similar to be coincidence. Can anyone help? Please?

What DVD decoder are you using? Updates for it?