Raid - system crash - help needed

zander

Hi all,

My system (p4c800-deluxe) has a raid 0 array (2 sata 120gb drives) It had
winxp installed on it and something went wrong, I could no longer boot it.
(no need to get into details)

To save the data on the raid array (I don't want to reformat it) I hooked
up
an old ide 30gb drive and installed winxp on it. I'm now up and running.
My plan is to copy off the data I need from the array and later on rebuild
the system again.

I installed the promise raid driver from the asus cd and the array shows up
in 'computer management | storage' but it's not 'mounted'. So I cannot see
the array in win explorer.

It shows in the list as a basic-healthy(active)
Whereas my new ide drive which I'm now running xp from is shown
as basic-healthy(system)

My only option it seems is to convert the array from 'basic' to dynamic.
But I'm afraid of losing my data. How can I mount the array and assign it a
drive letter?

Thanks,

Zander

I had a similar problem and was able to copy the contents of the unmounted
drive through Drive Image 7. The problem usually occurs when your parition
table becomes corrupted.
I have a raid 0 but I also have a backup IDE hardrive which is image with
Drive Image 7 every week.
"Zander" <nomail@nomail.no> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My system (p4c800-deluxe) has a raid 0 array (2 sata 120gb drives) It had
> winxp installed on it and something went wrong, I could no longer boot
it.
> (no need to get into details)
>
> To save the data on the raid array (I don't want to reformat it) I hooked
> up
> an old ide 30gb drive and installed winxp on it. I'm now up and running.
> My plan is to copy off the data I need from the array and later on rebuild
> the system again.
>
> I installed the promise raid driver from the asus cd and the array shows
up
> in 'computer management | storage' but it's not 'mounted'. So I cannot
see
> the array in win explorer.
>
> It shows in the list as a basic-healthy(active)
> Whereas my new ide drive which I'm now running xp from is shown
> as basic-healthy(system)
>
> My only option it seems is to convert the array from 'basic' to dynamic.
> But I'm afraid of losing my data. How can I mount the array and assign it
> drive letter?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zander

This is why it would be a good idea to use RAID 1 if you have the option
available to you. RAID 0 is not fault tolerant and you can lose data if
one of the drives fail, but with RAID 1, this is not the case :)

-----
Nathan McNulty