Greetings all,

I have a USB to serial converter cable. When installed it assigned this to
COM4. Is there any way I can re-assign this to COM1 or COM2? (I have no
serial port on this notebook, and my software reconises only COM1 and COM2)
I have WinXP, SP2

Many thanks

G Forsberg

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:14:54 +0800, "G Forsberg"
<forsberg@tm.net.my> wrote:

>Greetings all,
>
>I have a USB to serial converter cable. When installed it assigned this to
>COM4. Is there any way I can re-assign this to COM1 or COM2? (I have no
>serial port on this notebook, and my software reconises only COM1 and COM2)
>I have WinXP, SP2

Go to the advanced port settings in the com port propertys in
device manager and assign the USB comport device to the port you
want (click on the com4 and you should get a scrolling list from
1 to 256 to chose from). Before you plug in the usb device, check
in device manager and make sure that there is no hardware comport
showing (shouldn't be). This will also possibly stop the
incrementing port number every time the usb device is installed.
If the usb device has been assigned to com 1 or 2 in the past,
you may get an already in use warning. Just ignore this.

Many thanks, it works fine

G Forsberg

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:14:54 +0800, "G Forsberg"
> <forsberg@tm.net.my> wrote:
>
>>Greetings all,
>>
>>I have a USB to serial converter cable. When installed it assigned this to
>>COM4. Is there any way I can re-assign this to COM1 or COM2? (I have no
>>serial port on this notebook, and my software reconises only COM1 and
>>COM2)
>>I have WinXP, SP2
>
> Go to the advanced port settings in the com port propertys in
> device manager and assign the USB comport device to the port you
> want (click on the com4 and you should get a scrolling list from
> 1 to 256 to chose from). Before you plug in the usb device, check
> in device manager and make sure that there is no hardware comport
> showing (shouldn't be). This will also possibly stop the
> incrementing port number every time the usb device is installed.
> If the usb device has been assigned to com 1 or 2 in the past,
> you may get an already in use warning. Just ignore this.

I have an USB to Serial Cable as well, but I can't seem to get it to work
with XP. Is there a generic driver available for me to install this cable?

Or put it another way, are all USB to Serial cables created equal?

I hope so. Thansk!

"G Forsberg" wrote:

> Many thanks, it works fine
>

> G Forsberg
>

> "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:14:54 +0800, "G Forsberg"
> > <forsberg@tm.net.my> wrote:
> >
> >>Greetings all,
> >>
> >>I have a USB to serial converter cable. When installed it assigned this to
> >>COM4. Is there any way I can re-assign this to COM1 or COM2? (I have no
> >>serial port on this notebook, and my software reconises only COM1 and
> >>COM2)
> >>I have WinXP, SP2
> >
> > Go to the advanced port settings in the com port propertys in
> > device manager and assign the USB comport device to the port you
> > want (click on the com4 and you should get a scrolling list from
> > 1 to 256 to chose from). Before you plug in the usb device, check
> > in device manager and make sure that there is no hardware comport
> > showing (shouldn't be). This will also possibly stop the
> > incrementing port number every time the usb device is installed.
> > If the usb device has been assigned to com 1 or 2 in the past,
> > you may get an already in use warning. Just ignore this.

TRENDING THREADS