Samsung ML-1440 Network Printing?

New to printing on a network and can't get any answers. All
help greatly appreciated.

Have a Samsung ML-1440 Laser printer and two desktops running
Windows 2000.

Want to print from the second computer bypassing the primary
machine and figured I needed a print server. However HP JetDirect
says their products will not work on "GDI" printers and Samsung
tells me the ML-1440 is a GDI printer.

Linksys and D-Link tech people are clueless about compatibility
with the Samsung ML-1440. I thought of just running a USB
cable from the printer to my computer -- but Samsung tech support
tells me that the 15 feet I need is about 9 feet too long.

Finally, I'm trying to stay at $50 max so wireless is not an option.

Maybe I'm missing an obvious solution? Again, many thanks! -- Don

Alan

dbwhite@bigfoot.com (Don White) wrote in message news:<e2dafaac.0406121250.329a5d6@posting.google.com>...
> New to printing on a network and can't get any answers. All
> help greatly appreciated.
>
> Have a Samsung ML-1440 Laser printer and two desktops running
> Windows 2000.
>
> Want to print from the second computer bypassing the primary
> machine and figured I needed a print server. However HP JetDirect
> says their products will not work on "GDI" printers and Samsung
> tells me the ML-1440 is a GDI printer.
>
> Linksys and D-Link tech people are clueless about compatibility
> with the Samsung ML-1440. I thought of just running a USB
> cable from the printer to my computer -- but Samsung tech support
> tells me that the 15 feet I need is about 9 feet too long.
>
> Finally, I'm trying to stay at $50 max so wireless is not an option.
>
> Maybe I'm missing an obvious solution? Again, many thanks! -- Don

I believe it also has a prallel interface. I've used 20 ft parallel
cables without any problems. SO run it on USB from the near PC and
Paralle from the far (I assume it can be connected to both without a
config change; if not just get a cheap automatic parallel port printer
switchbox and run both PCs through it).