Hard Drive Copy?

What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
WinXP operating system.

Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains OS
system files that are in use.

please help!!
7 answers Last reply
More about hard drive copy

    NewsReader2k wrote:

    > What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
    > WinXP operating system.
    >
    > Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
    > 'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains OS
    > system files that are in use.
    >
    > please help!!

    Well, Norton Ghost clones drives with OSs, but I have not yet been
    sucessful in getting the cloned drive to boot WinXP.

    jimbo

    "NewsReader2k" <newsreader2k@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
    > WinXP operating system.
    >
    > Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
    > 'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains
    > OS system files that are in use.

    I've been using Ghost 2002 and now 2003 and have never had a problem cloning
    or restoring Win98SE or XP Pro. I clone once per week for my main desktop,
    rotating six drives in mobil racks using a disk-to-disk clone, and two other
    computers using image files. I recommend it highly, but have no experience
    with the new version that runs from within Windows. Based on feedback from
    forums and newsgroups I won't be upgrading.

    This tool works for me and is very easy to use:

    http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/default.asp?adc=google

    $45

    Rob.

    "NewsReader2k" <newsreader2k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
    > WinXP operating system.
    >
    > Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
    > 'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains
    > OS system files that are in use.
    >
    > please help!!

    I have been very successful with Ghost myself. I set Ghost to do a "sector
    by sector" copy. Only one problem I had is that Ghost did not expand my
    partition once the copy was done. But that was a small problem since I also
    have Partitoin Magic.

    Y.

    "jimbo" <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote in message
    > NewsReader2k wrote:
    >
    >> What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
    >> WinXP operating system.
    >>
    >> Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
    >> 'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains
    >> OS system files that are in use.
    >>
    >> please help!!
    >
    > Well, Norton Ghost clones drives with OSs, but I have not yet been
    > sucessful in getting the cloned drive to boot WinXP.
    >
    > jimbo

    Simply use the software xp already has installed,the utility is XCOPY.
    Have youre formated slave with a primary partition set on the same IDE
    chain as C:,then go to run,type:XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r
    D: being the slave,however any other letter its assigned to would work.Also,
    in the DOS window agree to all.

    "NewsReader2k" wrote:

    > What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
    > WinXP operating system.
    >
    > Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
    > 'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains OS
    > system files that are in use.
    >
    > please help!!

    I just wish Ghost was easier to use for those of us who don't have a
    floppy drive :)

    I have never had good luck with Ghost on my new system, but it did work
    well on my older 733 MHz computer.

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Yves Leclerc wrote:
    > I have been very successful with Ghost myself. I set Ghost to do a "sector
    > by sector" copy. Only one problem I had is that Ghost did not expand my
    > partition once the copy was done. But that was a small problem since I also
    > have Partitoin Magic.
    >
    > Y.
    >
    > "jimbo" <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>NewsReader2k wrote:
    >>

    >>>What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
    >>>WinXP operating system.
    >>>
    >>>Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
    >>>'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains
    >>>OS system files that are in use.
    >>>
    >>>please help!!
    >>
    >>Well, Norton Ghost clones drives with OSs, but I have not yet been
    >>sucessful in getting the cloned drive to boot WinXP.
    >>
    >>jimbo

    what kind of harddrive to (s) do you have
    I use Western Digital drives and use the tool that they have on there sight
    or a retail version usually comes with a disk

    "NewsReader2k" <newsreader2k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
    > WinXP operating system.
    >
    > Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
    > 'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains
    > OS system files that are in use.
    >
    > please help!!

Hard Drives Software Windows XP