Hard Drive Copy?

October 14, 2004 6:16:19 PM

What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
WinXP operating system.

Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains OS
system files that are in use.

please help!!

More about : hard drive copy

October 14, 2004 6:16:20 PM

NewsReader2k wrote:

> What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
> WinXP operating system.
>
> Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
> 'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains OS
> system files that are in use.
>
> please help!!

Well, Norton Ghost clones drives with OSs, but I have not yet been
sucessful in getting the cloned drive to boot WinXP.

jimbo
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 6:16:20 PM

"NewsReader2k" <newsreader2k@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
> WinXP operating system.
>
> Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
> 'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains
> OS system files that are in use.

I've been using Ghost 2002 and now 2003 and have never had a problem cloning
or restoring Win98SE or XP Pro. I clone once per week for my main desktop,
rotating six drives in mobil racks using a disk-to-disk clone, and two other
computers using image files. I recommend it highly, but have no experience
with the new version that runs from within Windows. Based on feedback from
forums and newsgroups I won't be upgrading.
October 14, 2004 6:16:20 PM

This tool works for me and is very easy to use:

http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/default.asp?adc...

$45

Rob.

"NewsReader2k" <newsreader2k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
> WinXP operating system.
>
> Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
> 'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains
> OS system files that are in use.
>
> please help!!

Anonymous
October 14, 2004 6:16:21 PM

I have been very successful with Ghost myself. I set Ghost to do a "sector
by sector" copy. Only one problem I had is that Ghost did not expand my
partition once the copy was done. But that was a small problem since I also
have Partitoin Magic.

Y.

"jimbo" <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote in message
> NewsReader2k wrote:
>
>> What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
>> WinXP operating system.
>>
>> Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
>> 'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains
>> OS system files that are in use.
>>
>> please help!!
>
> Well, Norton Ghost clones drives with OSs, but I have not yet been
> sucessful in getting the cloned drive to boot WinXP.
>
> jimbo
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 7:05:13 PM

Simply use the software xp already has installed,the utility is XCOPY.
Have youre formated slave with a primary partition set on the same IDE
chain as C:,then go to run,type:XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r
D: being the slave,however any other letter its assigned to would work.Also,
in the DOS window agree to all.

"NewsReader2k" wrote:

> What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
> WinXP operating system.
>
> Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
> 'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains OS
> system files that are in use.
>
> please help!!

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 6:57:31 PM

I just wish Ghost was easier to use for those of us who don't have a
floppy drive :)

I have never had good luck with Ghost on my new system, but it did work
well on my older 733 MHz computer.

-----
Nathan McNulty

Yves Leclerc wrote:
> I have been very successful with Ghost myself. I set Ghost to do a "sector
> by sector" copy. Only one problem I had is that Ghost did not expand my
> partition once the copy was done. But that was a small problem since I also
> have Partitoin Magic.
>
> Y.
>
> "jimbo" <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote in message
>
>>NewsReader2k wrote:
>>

>>>What is the best 'Software' to copy/clone a hard drive that contains the
>>>WinXP operating system.
>>>
>>>Im trying to upgrade my current system to a larger hard drive, but the
>>>'drive copy' software that Ive tried won't copy a partition that contains
>>>OS system files that are in use.
>>>
>>>please help!!
>>
>>Well, Norton Ghost clones drives with OSs, but I have not yet been
>>sucessful in getting the cloned drive to boot WinXP.
>>
>>jimbo

October 17, 2004 1:44:05 PM

what kind of harddrive to (s) do you have
I use Western Digital drives and use the tool that they have on there sight
or a retail version usually comes with a disk

!