2 bluetooth usb dongles on one usb

Hi NG,

Is there a way to connect two bluetooth usb dongles to one usb? I tried
this with XP SP2 and the 2nd one cannot get activated by the MS
bluetooth stack (always shows error 10 - cannot activate device). I have
the idea that a 2nd bluetooth stack might be necessary, but have no idea
how to get it running.

I asked this in another newsgroup but did not receive any usable answer.
I'm pretty desperated because I need a solution.

TIA Thomas

bar

Is yours a hardware or software issue?

Hardware:
If you have run out USB ports, get a 4 way adapter or another USB PCI card
and plug it in.

Software:
If two dongles are not being separately identified when daisey chained on
one USB port, place the second dongle on another USB port [even put it into a
separate USB PCI card].

"Thomas Osthege" wrote:

> Hi NG,
>
> Is there a way to connect two bluetooth usb dongles to one usb? I tried
> this with XP SP2 and the 2nd one cannot get activated by the MS
> bluetooth stack (always shows error 10 - cannot activate device). I have
> the idea that a 2nd bluetooth stack might be necessary, but have no idea
> how to get it running.
>
> I asked this in another newsgroup but did not receive any usable answer.
> I'm pretty desperated because I need a solution.
>
> TIA Thomas

I do not undestand what you are trying to do here. First off, why would
you want to put 2 BlueTooth dongles on your computer? Choose the best
one and use that since it can support just as many devices connected to
it as having 2 of them. As for trying to get them both on one USB port,
you will need a USB hub to do this, but I still see no point. Finally,
you need to install the drivers that came with the dongle(s) you want to
use. If SP2 does support your BT dongle and it is giving you that
error, try uninstalling it from Device Manager and rebooting allowing it
to reinstall the device. If that doesn't fix the problem, we can edit
the registry :)

-----
Nathan McNulty

Thomas Osthege wrote:
> Hi NG,
>
> Is there a way to connect two bluetooth usb dongles to one usb? I tried
> this with XP SP2 and the 2nd one cannot get activated by the MS
> bluetooth stack (always shows error 10 - cannot activate device). I have
> the idea that a 2nd bluetooth stack might be necessary, but have no idea
> how to get it running.
>
> I asked this in another newsgroup but did not receive any usable answer.
> I'm pretty desperated because I need a solution.
>
> TIA Thomas

Thanks for your answer, Nathan,

|I do not undestand what you are trying to do here. First off, why
would
| you want to put 2 BlueTooth dongles on your computer?

I have to mount at different locations to take notice when another
bluetooth device comes by.

| As for trying to get them both on one USB port,
| you will need a USB hub to do this, but I still see no point.

I know. How can one connect 2 devices to the same port? ;-)

| If SP2 does support your BT dongle and it is giving you that
| error, try uninstalling it from Device Manager and rebooting allowing
it
| to reinstall the device. If that doesn't fix the problem, we can edit
| the registry :)

As I wrote before: The 2nd one cannot activated (error 10). Both are
supported by the MS bluetooth stack.

TIA again
Thomas

Disconnect the problem device and open the Registry Editor
(Start-Run-regedit). Navigate to HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\USB and look for
the folder containing information about the problematic device. Now
right click on the folder labeled Vid_Xxxx that contains the information
about the problematic device and click Permission. Allow full control
of the key, then right click on it and delete it. Now reboot and try again.

-----
Nathan McNulty

Thomas Osthege wrote:
> Thanks for your answer, Nathan,
>
> |I do not undestand what you are trying to do here. First off, why
> would
> | you want to put 2 BlueTooth dongles on your computer?
>
> I have to mount at different locations to take notice when another
> bluetooth device comes by.
>
> | As for trying to get them both on one USB port,
> | you will need a USB hub to do this, but I still see no point.
>
> I know. How can one connect 2 devices to the same port? ;-)
>
> | If SP2 does support your BT dongle and it is giving you that
> | error, try uninstalling it from Device Manager and rebooting allowing
> it
> | to reinstall the device. If that doesn't fix the problem, we can edit
> | the registry :)
>
> As I wrote before: The 2nd one cannot activated (error 10). Both are
> supported by the MS bluetooth stack.
>
> TIA again
> Thomas

Hello Thomas,
The Bluetooth stack included with SP2 does not support two Bluetooth
dongles.
It only supports using one dongle.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
>From: " Thomas Osthege" <123-4567@gmx.net>
>Subject: 2 bluetooth usb dongles on one usb
>Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:37:38 +0200
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
>
>Hi NG,
>
>Is there a way to connect two bluetooth usb dongles to one usb? I tried
>this with XP SP2 and the 2nd one cannot get activated by the MS
>bluetooth stack (always shows error 10 - cannot activate device). I have
>the idea that a 2nd bluetooth stack might be necessary, but have no idea
>how to get it running.
>
>I asked this in another newsgroup but did not receive any usable answer.
>I'm pretty desperated because I need a solution.
>
>TIA Thomas

Aha, well that's always good to know :)

Thanks for the definitive response.

-----
Nathan McNulty

Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:
> Hello Thomas,
> The Bluetooth stack included with SP2 does not support two Bluetooth
> dongles.
> It only supports using one dongle.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
>
>>From: " Thomas Osthege" <123-4567@gmx.net>
>>Subject: 2 bluetooth usb dongles on one usb
>>Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:37:38 +0200
>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
> phx.gbl

>>Hi NG,
>>
>>Is there a way to connect two bluetooth usb dongles to one usb? I tried
>>this with XP SP2 and the 2nd one cannot get activated by the MS
>>bluetooth stack (always shows error 10 - cannot activate device). I have
>>the idea that a 2nd bluetooth stack might be necessary, but have no idea
>>how to get it running.
>>
>>I asked this in another newsgroup but did not receive any usable answer.
>>I'm pretty desperated because I need a solution.
>>
>>TIA Thomas

But what can I do if I have to use several dongles on one machine?

TIA

Thomas

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <Darrellg@online.microsoft.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:GIOoRjWuEHA.3028@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl...
| Hello Thomas,
| The Bluetooth stack included with SP2 does not support two Bluetooth
| dongles.
| It only supports using one dongle.
| Thanks,
| Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Tomas,
You may want to check if other Bluetooth Stacks allow for more than one
Bluetooth Dongle to be installed.
I know this is a limitation in the Microsoft Bluetooth stack, I am not sure
whether this limitation is in other Bluetooth Stacks as well.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
>From: " Thomas Osthege" <123-4567@gmx.net>
>Subject: Re: 2 bluetooth usb dongles on one usb
>Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:09:44 +0200
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
>
>But what can I do if I have to use several dongles on one machine?
>
>TIA
>
>Thomas
>
>""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <Darrellg@online.microsoft.com> schrieb im
>Newsbeitrag news:GIOoRjWuEHA.3028@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl...
>| Hello Thomas,
>| The Bluetooth stack included with SP2 does not support two Bluetooth
>| dongles.
>| It only supports using one dongle.
>| Thanks,
>| Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Thank you Darrel for this information!

In fact this was the onliest reason I downloaded and installed SP 2 for.
SP 2 is a software catastrophe. Thank you again, Microsoft, for letting
us do your job and thank you for your excellent documantatin, too! Now I
can cancel a whole project and pay myself an incedible amount of working
hours.

Newsbeitrag news:p1n9w2ruEHA.2384@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl...
| Hello Tomas,
| You may want to check if other Bluetooth Stacks allow for more than
one
| Bluetooth Dongle to be installed.
| I know this is a limitation in the Microsoft Bluetooth stack, I am not
sure
| whether this limitation is in other Bluetooth Stacks as well.
| Thanks,
| Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

I don't see how the problem is Microsoft. Service Pack 2 simply adds
native BlueTooth support using a Microsoft BlueTooth stack that only
supports a handful of BlueTooth dongles. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com and search the KB articles if you want to
know what BlueTooth dongles are supported and information about the
BlueTooth stack. The documentation is available, you just didn't bother
to do any research.

The project you are working on is still not a loss. Each BlueTooth
dongle you have purchased should have their own BlueTooth stack on the
CD that came with them. These CAN be installed on Service Pack 2 and
they replace the generic Microsoft BlueTooth stack if you want to.
Check and see if any of them support all of the BlueTooth dongles (the
popular one seems to be WIDCOMM) and try whatever you can to install a
stack that can control more than one dongle. I still fail to see the
point of this though as one dongle can take more connections than you
should ever own of BlueTooth devices :)

-----
Nathan McNulty

Thomas Osthege wrote:
> Thank you Darrel for this information!
>
> In fact this was the onliest reason I downloaded and installed SP 2 for.
> SP 2 is a software catastrophe. Thank you again, Microsoft, for letting
> us do your job and thank you for your excellent documantatin, too! Now I
> can cancel a whole project and pay myself an incedible amount of working
> hours.
>
> Thomas
>
> ""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <Darrellg@online.microsoft.com> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:p1n9w2ruEHA.2384@cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl...
> | Hello Tomas,
> | You may want to check if other Bluetooth Stacks allow for more than
> one
> | Bluetooth Dongle to be installed.
> | I know this is a limitation in the Microsoft Bluetooth stack, I am not
> sure
> | whether this limitation is in other Bluetooth Stacks as well.
> | Thanks,
> | Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Thanks for your answer, Nathan.

In fact I don't want to discuss which stack to use. I've tried the other
stacks and their support is not much better than that from microsoft.
Speaking about the documentation, I can't find any advice that only one
dongle is supported. From how I understand USB (and I work with it since
some years) it was a basic idea to support several devices of the same
type an one bus (not on one port).

About my reason to use more than one dongle on one USB: I already
explained this. Anyway, I was just asking for some help which I cannot
get here.

And I'm just frustrated about this incomplete implementation by MS.

Thank you again!

Thomas

TRENDING THREADS