Bios and motherboard driver updates

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi,

Is anybody out there an EXPERT on updating mother board drivers.

It has been suggested to me that to get around my CD burning problems that I
try flashing bios and controller software. I have done this but I am not sure
if I am getting the correct versions and in which order I should update
things.
Also all I can find are integrated driver updates not individual drivers for
specific bits of motherboard hardware.

Please point me at a site that teaches you how to do this properly !!!

If an expert stumbles across this post, my hardware is:
ASUS A7A266 Socket A Motherboard with ALiMaGiK 1 Chipset
It has a ALi M1647 system controller
a ALi M1525D+ PCIset
a ALi M5229 PCI Bus master IDE Controller ( the driver for this I cannot
find anywhere)

PS I am a software developer so I am not completely computer illiterate but
I have never played with hardware down at this level.

Please help 4 days spent going round in circles getting nowhere.
CD-RW drive still wont see any CD's
Chris

I believe the suggestion should have been to look for firmware updates to
the optical drive, NOT for the BIOS of the motherboard. If the BIOS of the
motherboard 'sees' the optical drive, it should be seen in Windows Explorer.
www.coribright.com

> Hi,
>
> Is anybody out there an EXPERT on updating mother board drivers.
>
> It has been suggested to me that to get around my CD burning problems that
> try flashing bios and controller software. I have done this but I am not
> sure
> if I am getting the correct versions and in which order I should update
> things.
> Also all I can find are integrated driver updates not individual drivers
> for
> specific bits of motherboard hardware.
>
> Please point me at a site that teaches you how to do this properly !!!
>
> If an expert stumbles across this post, my hardware is:
> ASUS A7A266 Socket A Motherboard with ALiMaGiK 1 Chipset
> It has a ALi M1647 system controller
> a ALi M1525D+ PCIset
> a ALi M5229 PCI Bus master IDE Controller ( the driver for this I cannot
> find anywhere)
>
> PS I am a software developer so I am not completely computer illiterate
> but
> I have never played with hardware down at this level.
>
> Please help 4 days spent going round in circles getting nowhere.
> CD-RW drive still wont see any CD's
> Chris

Motherboard drivers for your ASUS A7A266 motherboard should be found at
www.asus.com. Just select your region.

As for the CD burning, if your XP Explorer displays the drive correctly, you
may need flash the "firmware" on the CD burner. If no updates to the
firmware, then you may want to look on replacing the unit and/or gettting
warrantied replaced.

Y.

> Hi,
>
> Is anybody out there an EXPERT on updating mother board drivers.
>
> It has been suggested to me that to get around my CD burning problems that
> try flashing bios and controller software. I have done this but I am not
> sure
> if I am getting the correct versions and in which order I should update
> things.
> Also all I can find are integrated driver updates not individual drivers
> for
> specific bits of motherboard hardware.
>
> Please point me at a site that teaches you how to do this properly !!!
>
> If an expert stumbles across this post, my hardware is:
> ASUS A7A266 Socket A Motherboard with ALiMaGiK 1 Chipset
> It has a ALi M1647 system controller
> a ALi M1525D+ PCIset
> a ALi M5229 PCI Bus master IDE Controller ( the driver for this I cannot
> find anywhere)
>
> PS I am a software developer so I am not completely computer illiterate
> but
> I have never played with hardware down at this level.
>
> Please help 4 days spent going round in circles getting nowhere.
> CD-RW drive still wont see any CD's
> Chris

To further that, you should even need to update the firmware for the
drive if it was working before. Even if this is a new drive, updating
the firmware usually only adds compatiblity or sometimes new writing
methods, but rarely fixes a problem where XP can't use the drive.

What you are really looking for is the chipset drivers for your
motherboard. Those can be found on ASUS's website assuming that your
board is a retail motherboard and not part of an OEM (Dell, HP, etc.)
machine.

-----
Nathan McNulty

Yves Leclerc wrote:
> Motherboard drivers for your ASUS A7A266 motherboard should be found at
> www.asus.com. Just select your region.
>
> As for the CD burning, if your XP Explorer displays the drive correctly, you
> may need flash the "firmware" on the CD burner. If no updates to the
> firmware, then you may want to look on replacing the unit and/or gettting
> warrantied replaced.
>
> Y.
>
> "Chris" <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Is anybody out there an EXPERT on updating mother board drivers.
>>
>>It has been suggested to me that to get around my CD burning problems that
>>try flashing bios and controller software. I have done this but I am not
>>sure
>>if I am getting the correct versions and in which order I should update
>>things.
>>Also all I can find are integrated driver updates not individual drivers
>>for
>>specific bits of motherboard hardware.
>>
>>Please point me at a site that teaches you how to do this properly !!!
>>
>>If an expert stumbles across this post, my hardware is:
>>ASUS A7A266 Socket A Motherboard with ALiMaGiK 1 Chipset
>>It has a ALi M1647 system controller
>>a ALi M1525D+ PCIset
>>a ALi M5229 PCI Bus master IDE Controller ( the driver for this I cannot
>>find anywhere)
>>
>>PS I am a software developer so I am not completely computer illiterate
>>but
>>I have never played with hardware down at this level.
>>
>>Please help 4 days spent going round in circles getting nowhere.
>>CD-RW drive still wont see any CD's
>>Chris

Forgot to mention, you may also want to see this troubleshooting guide
on problems with writing to optical disks in XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

-----
Nathan McNulty