New computer / same hard drive running XP Pro?

I have an older PC running XP Pro. I'd like to build a newer, faster PC and
simply slap in my existing hard drive. The existing drive is modern and
fast enough to keep, not to mention, loaded with everything that I need.

Is this possible?

Since the chipset will have changed with the new motherboard, you will have
to perform a Repair Installation..... other than that, everything else
should be fine.

www.coribright.com

"Fernie" <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> wrote in message
>I have an older PC running XP Pro. I'd like to build a newer, faster PC
>and simply slap in my existing hard drive. The existing drive is modern
>and fast enough to keep, not to mention, loaded with everything that I
>need.
>
> Is this possible?

I thought there was an easier way, isn't there a reg setting to trigger a
complete hardware reset so next time XP starts it will use default driver
set and re-run the entire Hardware discovery process again?

Rob.

> Since the chipset will have changed with the new motherboard, you will
> have to perform a Repair Installation..... other than that, everything
> else should be fine.

> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Fernie" <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> wrote in message
>>I have an older PC running XP Pro. I'd like to build a newer, faster PC
>>and simply slap in my existing hard drive. The existing drive is modern
>>and fast enough to keep, not to mention, loaded with everything that I
>>need.
>>
>> Is this possible?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No

Fernie wrote:
> I have an older PC running XP Pro. I'd like to build a newer,
> faster
> PC and simply slap in my existing hard drive. The existing drive is
> modern and fast enough to keep, not to mention, loaded with
> everything that I need.
> Is this possible?

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
more stable than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Is it possible to simply boot the drive and then load the new drivers from
CD? I know I had successfully done that in the past with either W98 or W2k
with minimal effort and nothing lost.

Of course, before I do this, I'd much rather hear any responses. Thanks
again.

A repair install does just what you want, it updates only,
it is not a new clean install. Your programs, settings and
such will remain. One issue is now in play, if your
installation CD is pre SP1 or SP2, it may not do the repair
install if you have already installed SP2. The solution is
to either remove SP2 or create a slipstreamed install CD
with SP2.

It is not just an issue of updating drivers when you change
hardware with Windows XP, it is an issue of product
activation and piracy.

| Thanks to everyone who responded.
|
| Is it possible to simply boot the drive and then load the
new drivers from
| CD? I know I had successfully done that in the past with
either W98 or W2k
| with minimal effort and nothing lost.
|
| Of course, before I do this, I'd much rather hear any
| again.

Jim,
" The solution is
> to either remove SP2 or create a slipstreamed install CD
> with SP2."

So what your saying is that this is why my XPHome OEM SP1 cd would not do a
repair install successfully on my PC with SP2? Is there a KB article
regarding how to create a slipstreamed install CD with SP2 ?

r.

>A repair install does just what you want, it updates only,
> it is not a new clean install. Your programs, settings and
> such will remain. One issue is now in play, if your
> installation CD is pre SP1 or SP2, it may not do the repair
> install if you have already installed SP2. The solution is
> to either remove SP2 or create a slipstreamed install CD
> with SP2.
>
> It is not just an issue of updating drivers when you change
> hardware with Windows XP, it is an issue of product
> activation and piracy.

> "Fernie" <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> wrote in message
> | Thanks to everyone who responded.
> |
> | Is it possible to simply boot the drive and then load the
> new drivers from
> | CD? I know I had successfully done that in the past with
> either W98 or W2k
> | with minimal effort and nothing lost.
> |
> | Of course, before I do this, I'd much rather hear any
> | again.

I have the retail version of XP Pro but it does not contain SP2. I'm also
in a position that would require the creation of a slipstreamed
installation.

"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
> Jim,
> " The solution is
>> to either remove SP2 or create a slipstreamed install CD
>> with SP2."
>
> So what your saying is that this is why my XPHome OEM SP1 cd would not do
> a repair install successfully on my PC with SP2? Is there a KB article
> regarding how to create a slipstreamed install CD with SP2 ?
>
> r.
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>>A repair install does just what you want, it updates only,
>> it is not a new clean install. Your programs, settings and
>> such will remain. One issue is now in play, if your
>> installation CD is pre SP1 or SP2, it may not do the repair
>> install if you have already installed SP2. The solution is
>> to either remove SP2 or create a slipstreamed install CD
>> with SP2.
>>
>> It is not just an issue of updating drivers when you change
>> hardware with Windows XP, it is an issue of product
>> activation and piracy.
>>

>> --
>> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

>> "Fernie" <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> wrote in message
>> | Thanks to everyone who responded.
>> |
>> | Is it possible to simply boot the drive and then load the
>> new drivers from
>> | CD? I know I had successfully done that in the past with
>> either W98 or W2k
>> | with minimal effort and nothing lost.
>> |
>> | Of course, before I do this, I'd much rather hear any
>> | again.

See:
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

>I have the retail version of XP Pro but it does not contain SP2. I'm also
>in a position that would require the creation of a slipstreamed
>installation.

See:
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
www.coribright.com

"namniar" <this@that> wrote in message

> So what your saying is that this is why my XPHome OEM SP1 cd would not do
> a repair install successfully on my PC with SP2? Is there a KB article
> regarding how to create a slipstreamed install CD with SP2 ?

Thank you Cari

r.

> See:
> http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
> www.coribright.com
>
> "namniar" <this@that> wrote in message
>
>> So what your saying is that this is why my XPHome OEM SP1 cd would not do
>> a repair install successfully on my PC with SP2? Is there a KB article
>> regarding how to create a slipstreamed install CD with SP2 ?

Also at msfn's website is this great unattended guide:
http://unattended.msfn.org/

-----
Nathan McNulty