EP-8KT2L freezes and beeps when rebooted until cooled off...

Praxis

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004

Hey folks, I have a EP-8KT2L (KT133E chipset, sort of half way between
KT133 and KT133A) running XP Pro (and SuSE and Redhat, but lets not
cloud the issue). It was stable (well, XP had accumulated plenty of
cruft and some problems, but I didn't want to muck with GRUB and
Windows product activation again).

But this morning it froze up harder than a tundra pond in January and
upon rebooting it I got a series of evenly spaced beeps but no POST
screen. I waited a few minutes and it booted up normally, but after a
few minutes more froze again (and beeped again, but restarted after
resting a spell, but then froze, beeped, you get the idea...).

According to http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml the beeps
for an Award BIOS mean:

Continuous beep Power supply, system board, or keyboard
problem

Repeating short beeps Power supply or system board problem

Great.

The CPU temps seem OK (about 35C. for a Duron 1.2GHz according to
SpeedFan, Mobo Monitor and the BIOS). The CPU fan is spinning like a
top according to the sensor.

The power supply is an Antec 250 watt, exact model unknown, but they
are supposed to be OK. According to SpeedFan I was getting the
following values:
+3.3V 3.31V
+5V: 4.95V
+12V: 11.93V

Are these values OK? Should I get another power supply and test it?
Any other ideas?

I haven't examined the board for capacitor leak. It is getting long
in the tooth. I don't want to reinstall, which I would probably have
to do if I upgrade mobos. How long does Epox RMA boards with leaky
capacitors, if that seems to be the case?

If I need to replace the board will Microsoft give me lots of grief
reinstalling XP Pro because of product activation (yes, its a legal
copy with a unique product ID)?

Hi, Praxis.

Most of your questions are too technical for me, but I can help with your
last one.

> If I need to replace the board will Microsoft give me lots of grief
> reinstalling XP Pro because of product activation (yes, its a legal
> copy with a unique product ID)?

No, there should be no activation grief. But there will likely be another
kind of grief.

Unless the new mobo/chipset combo is identical with the old one, you
probably will need to let WinXP Setup detect your new hardware environment
and re-customize your copy of WinXP to fit this new configuration. And the
only way to do this is to boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and install WinXP all
over again. Instead of a clean install, do an "in-place upgrade" as
described in this KB article:
How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q315341

This will reinstall WinXP itself, but preserve all your installed
applications and data - and most of your tweaks. If your WinXP CD-ROM does
not include SP2, you'll need to install that again, plus any later fixes
from Windows Update. (If you had to use the F6-floppy procedure to install
HD drivers when you originally installed WinXP, you'll probably have to find
that floppy and do it again.)

If it has been more than 120 days since you last activated WinXP, it should
activate over the Internet with no hassle. If it has been less than 120
days, you might need to call the 800 number that will appear on your screen,
but this should take less than 5 minutes - and be painless. For the
official word on activation, see this web page:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation.mspx

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA