Sony Vaio USB Plug-and-Play issues

I've had continuing problems with my system properly loading USB devices. It
is a Sony Vaio RS-410 running XP home with SP2. I plug USB devices that are
certified to be compatible with XP (as in the manufacturer says plug 'em in
and XP will take care of the rest) and I have been successful on other
computers, just not my personal home machine. Here's what I have

SimpleTech 128MB flash drive returns this error: "Cannot install this
hardware. The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the
necessary software."

Casio EX-Z40 digital camera returns this error: "Cannot install this
hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware - CASIO QV DIGITAL -
An error occurred during the installation of the device: The driver
installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be
because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware
vendor."

They both appear in the Device Manager under USB, but with the yellow
exclamation point and absolutely no functionality. It seems like
whatever/where ever XP has drivers hidden is missing something on my
computer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, as Sony's support says I should
go to a restore point before SP2 was installed (problem occurred prior to SP2
as well) and Sony also does not provide original system discs.

I can live with a Flashdrive incompatability, but if I can't get pics off my
$300 digital camera I'm about to boot this Sony P.O.S. out the window!
Thanks for your help!

PS
4 answers Last reply
More about sony vaio plug play issues

    Not all USB ports have the full five wire support, so not
    all devices will work on all computers. Check the specs on
    your model SONY to see how many wires are in the port.

    "PS_in_WA" <PSinWA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
> [...]

    > may be
    > because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your
    > hardware
    > vendor."
    >
    > They both appear in the Device Manager under USB, but with the yellow
    > exclamation point and absolutely no functionality. It seems like
    > whatever/where ever XP has drivers hidden is missing something on my
    > computer.
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction, as Sony's support says I
    > should
    > go to a restore point before SP2 was installed (problem occurred prior
    > to SP2
    > as well) and Sony also does not provide original system discs.
    >
    > I can live with a Flashdrive incompatability, but if I can't get pics
    > off my
    > $300 digital camera I'm about to boot this Sony P.O.S. out the window!

    Older (legacy) USB devices are problems in XP if the vendor did not
    supply device information updated for XP. It's a USB device vendor
    problem, not a computer or XP problem AFICS. In my inventory of USB
    devices, most of the pre-Win2K devices will not enumerate via PnP and
    need a driver from the vendor. Check BIOS setup for enabling legacy USB
    1.0 which might help.

    USB = FIVE wire??

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Not all USB ports have the full five wire support, so not
    > all devices will work on all computers. Check the specs on
    > your model SONY to see how many wires are in the port.

    > "PS_in_WA" <PSinWA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | I've had continuing problems with my system properly
    > | is a Sony Vaio RS-410 running XP home with SP2. I plug
    > USB devices that are
    > | certified to be compatible with XP (as in the manufacturer
    > says plug 'em in
    > | and XP will take care of the rest) and I have been
    > successful on other
    > | computers, just not my personal home machine. Here's what
    > I have
    > |
    > | SimpleTech 128MB flash drive returns this error: "Cannot
    > install this
    > | hardware. The hardware was not installed because the
    > wizard cannot find the
    > | necessary software."
    > |
    > | Casio EX-Z40 digital camera returns this error: "Cannot
    > install this
    > | hardware. There was a problem installing this hardware -
    > CASIO QV DIGITAL -
    > | An error occurred during the installation of the device:
    > The driver
    > | installation file for this device is missing a necessary
    > entry. This may be
    > | because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later.
    > Contact your hardware
    > | vendor."
    > |
    > | They both appear in the Device Manager under USB, but with
    > the yellow
    > | exclamation point and absolutely no functionality. It
    > seems like
    > | whatever/where ever XP has drivers hidden is missing
    > something on my
    > | computer.
    > |
    > | Can anyone point me in the right direction, as Sony's
    > support says I should
    > | go to a restore point before SP2 was installed (problem
    > occurred prior to SP2
    > | as well) and Sony also does not provide original system
    > discs.
    > |
    > | I can live with a Flashdrive incompatability, but if I
    > can't get pics off my
    > | $300 digital camera I'm about to boot this Sony P.O.S. out
    > the window!
    > | Thanks for your help!
    > |
    > | PS

    The s-ground is the 5th wire and may or may not get connected.

    Thomas Wendell wrote:

    > USB = FIVE wire??

Hardware USB Windows XP