Problem with my 8RDA3+ fan

Christoph

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

During bootup (and I can see this in the BIOS, too) I see
that my "Power Fan Speed" is only about 1100 RPM and
is showing in red. The other fan, the "CPU Fan" is going
about 1200 RPM. Recently, my PC started overheating
and locking up and I believe that these low RPMs are, at
least in part, the culprit.
Now, I'm unsure exactly to which fans these values are for.
The CPU fan is the fan on the heatsink, yes? What about
the "Power Fan"? Is that the fan that is actually connected
to the motherboard? Replacing the heatsink, if that is indeed
the CPU fan, is simple enough. But what about replacing
the fan connected to the MB? If that is, indeed, the "Power
Fan"...

Any help would be greatly appreciated because my over
heating issue is becoming quite frustrating.

Thanks for your time and assistance!

thnx,
Christoph

Christoph wrote:

>Now, I'm unsure exactly to which fans these values are for.
>The CPU fan is the fan on the heatsink, yes? What about
>the "Power Fan"? Is that the fan that is actually connected
>to the motherboard? Replacing the heatsink, if that is indeed

The 8RDA3+ has three fan connectors:

CPU
CASE
POWER

The CPU Fan is the one on the CPU heatsink.

The Power Fan is in my case (Enermax PSU) mounted inside the Power
Supply Unit and it's speed signal is plugged onto the Power Fan
connector (only Ground and sensor ist connected).

The Case Fan is mounted in the rear or in the front of the case, may
be this one ist connected to the wrong fan connector.

The fan on the chipset heatsink cannot be monitored in the bios, it's
a simple fan without clock signal.

I would say that your CPU Fan runs much to slow, try another one that
works at ~2000 rpm.

--

bye
Heiko

Christoph

Distinguished
May 13, 2004

> I would say that your CPU Fan runs much to slow, try another one that
> works at ~2000 rpm.

Something that I just tested and is interesting - after my PC has been
turned off for a while and has had the chance to cool down, my CPU
fan shows as running at 4500+ RPM. But as my system heats up,
my CPU fan starts to slow down... That seems terribly odd...

thnx,
Christoph