Hard drive letter name- help

October 14, 2004 8:44:03 PM

I just replaced a PC with a new Hard drive, and installed windows XP.
The drive works fine but noticed that it somehow became drive E:
instead of drive C: There are no other drives named C:, only the A:
and D: (CD and floppy drives).

I've tried to rename it but no matter what I enter at adds the (E:)  at
the end of the name. I don't know if this is really a problem or not,
everything seems to work fine so far, but I'd like to change it just
for the sake of consistancy. I'm not sure what to do about it though.
How did this happen and how do I change it now?

More about : hard drive letter

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 1:20:44 AM

Hi ... I'm curious do you have 2 hard drive install on this new PC ??

"fear" <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
>I just replaced a PC with a new Hard drive, and installed windows XP.
> The drive works fine but noticed that it somehow became drive E:
> instead of drive C: There are no other drives named C:, only the A:
> and D: (CD and floppy drives).
>
> I've tried to rename it but no matter what I enter at adds the (E:)  at
> the end of the name. I don't know if this is really a problem or not,
> everything seems to work fine so far, but I'd like to change it just
> for the sake of consistancy. I'm not sure what to do about it though.
> How did this happen and how do I change it now?
October 16, 2004 2:45:36 PM

Nope. Only one hard drive. Brand new. I have no idea how or why it
turned out to be drive E.
I found advice on setting it to C, but apparently that may cause
problems, like not being able to boot, so I don't know what will be
worse and cause the most problems, leaving it as drive E and not
having a C drive, or risking changing it back. So far everything works
OK, so I might just leave it for now.

!