Hard drive letter name- help

I just replaced a PC with a new Hard drive, and installed windows XP.
The drive works fine but noticed that it somehow became drive E:
instead of drive C: There are no other drives named C:, only the A:
and D: (CD and floppy drives).

I've tried to rename it but no matter what I enter at adds the (E:) at
the end of the name. I don't know if this is really a problem or not,
everything seems to work fine so far, but I'd like to change it just
for the sake of consistancy. I'm not sure what to do about it though.
How did this happen and how do I change it now?
2 answers Last reply
More about hard drive letter name help

    Hi ... I'm curious do you have 2 hard drive install on this new PC ??

    "fear" <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
    >I just replaced a PC with a new Hard drive, and installed windows XP.
    > The drive works fine but noticed that it somehow became drive E:
    > instead of drive C: There are no other drives named C:, only the A:
    > and D: (CD and floppy drives).
    >
    > I've tried to rename it but no matter what I enter at adds the (E:) at
    > the end of the name. I don't know if this is really a problem or not,
    > everything seems to work fine so far, but I'd like to change it just
    > for the sake of consistancy. I'm not sure what to do about it though.
    > How did this happen and how do I change it now?

    Nope. Only one hard drive. Brand new. I have no idea how or why it
    turned out to be drive E.
    I found advice on setting it to C, but apparently that may cause
    problems, like not being able to boot, so I don't know what will be
    worse and cause the most problems, leaving it as drive E and not
    having a C drive, or risking changing it back. So far everything works
    OK, so I might just leave it for now.

    "PC_Doc" <bogus@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<O35gyUlsEHA.3872@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
    > Hi ... I'm curious do you have 2 hard drive install on this new PC ??
    >

    > "fear" <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
    > >I just replaced a PC with a new Hard drive, and installed windows XP.
    > > The drive works fine but noticed that it somehow became drive E:
    > > instead of drive C: There are no other drives named C:, only the A:
    > > and D: (CD and floppy drives).
    > >
    > > I've tried to rename it but no matter what I enter at adds the (E:) at
    > > the end of the name. I don't know if this is really a problem or not,
    > > everything seems to work fine so far, but I'd like to change it just
    > > for the sake of consistancy. I'm not sure what to do about it though.
    > > How did this happen and how do I change it now?

Hard Drives Windows XP