Vijay

hi
I am getting fed up with usb ports i added an external hard drive formatted
it with xp and then downloaded files to it. Today it is not showing up it is
there in device manager as unknow and i cannot initialise it. Any ideas

Try doing this , when it show unknown just do a quick pull out and put back
in , just do a quick out and in again ... I would believe your external HDD
is 5200 rpm and are you using front ports ???

"vijay" <vijay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi
> I am getting fed up with usb ports i added an external hard drive
> formatted
> it with xp and then downloaded files to it. Today it is not showing up it
> is
> there in device manager as unknow and i cannot initialise it. Any ideas

peter

Hi,

Hot plug is not suitable for large USB storage device.
Did you not using the safely remove icon to unplug the ext. Hdd last time
you access windows?
Try go to disk management and initialize the drive.
Right click My Computer/Manage/Disk Management
Double click disk management, can you see the large removable storage device?
If yes, right click on it and click initialize drive
Note: don't format it or you will lose all the data files

To protect the data files on the ext. Hdd, try attach the ext. hdd to other
XP PC to check whether it can recognize it before doing anything.

Peter

"PC_Doc" wrote:

> Try doing this , when it show unknown just do a quick pull out and put back
> in , just do a quick out and in again ... I would believe your external HDD
> is 5200 rpm and are you using front ports ???
>

> "vijay" <vijay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi
> > I am getting fed up with usb ports i added an external hard drive
> > formatted
> > it with xp and then downloaded files to it. Today it is not showing up it
> > is
> > there in device manager as unknow and i cannot initialise it. Any ideas

Hi ... I bet it wouldn't show in the disk management area , because i had
similar problems with my computer , I have a external hard drive as well but
what i usually do is go to devise manager , open the usb controllers ,
notice the one with the yellow check mark , uninstall it , then rescan for
hardware changes afterward it would work , or i would just do a quick plug
in and out and in again and that works just as well... Oh yeah and i would
always safely close or remove the drive after i am finish with it