jeff

Suddenly my computer will not install drivers for USB flash drives.
I've tried several varieties. The drives are initially recognized by
name e.g. "Jumpdrive Elite", but then it goes into the add new
hardware wizard and looks for drivers. If I tell it to look in
C:\Windows\inf, it will install a driver that allows me to access the
files but then another instance of the Add New Hardware wizard starts
again and it reports that the hardware cannot be installed.

Any ideas as to how to track this problem down? Previously installed
flash drives work ok.

TIA,

-jeff

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Jeff" <jeffnjnecom@excite_dot_.com> wrote in message
> Suddenly my computer will not install drivers for USB flash drives.
> I've tried several varieties. The drives are initially recognized by
> name e.g. "Jumpdrive Elite", but then it goes into the add new
> hardware wizard and looks for drivers. If I tell it to look in
> C:\Windows\inf, it will install a driver that allows me to access
> the
> files but then another instance of the Add New Hardware wizard
> starts
> again and it reports that the hardware cannot be installed.
>
> Any ideas as to how to track this problem down? Previously installed
> flash drives work ok.

Try a read here.

<http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm>

jeff

The problem was that the registry entry
HKEY-LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath
was modified from %Systemroot%\Inf

I think the problem with saying it couldn't find the driver was
actually a second instance of the HW Wizard.

-jeff